- advertisement -

Do your kids have computers in their room?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Adinsmom, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We just bought a new laptop. :) Our 11 year old wants the old desktop for her room. My first reaction was No. Dh and I are kind of old fashioned when it comes to techy things for our kiddos. Drives dd crazy especially when all her friends have cell phones, plasma tvs in their room etc. We just shrug and explain to her that she is part of our family and give her our reasons as to why she shouldn't have said items until we feel it is necessary.

I am changing my mind and going to let her have it. She is a good kid and I think I might be a little too strict on this issue.

So do your kids have computers in their rooms and how old are they?

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Nope - ours are not allowed to have them in their rooms. We don't have one in our room either. Everyone uses the computer out in the main family area.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would let them have a computer - just no internet...

I know when they are older, they will have internet in their rooms, but it will need to be something I monitor...sometimes, if their friends are around, I will let them take the laptop to their room and surf and stuff. I also am friends on their FB/My Space pages, along with knowing their password so I can check it out as them from time to time to make sure they haven't blocked me.

But I am paranoid - I will probably get net nanny soon.

4. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

My boys do have their own computer to use located in the toy room.. Of course at the moment the only thing they are really intrested in is like disney and nickjr websites, they like the games... Sometimes they search for pictures of like snakes or sharks.. Most of the time they are playing games though..

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Nope no computer and no tv in room. We have both in our loft. We even keep daughters' cell phones in the kitchen when they come home from school on chargers. I think there is the possibility of too many distractions if they had access to them. We didn't even have 24 hour tv like they have nowadays!

My brother's step-daughter would text late into the night--Probably just nonense--when she should have been sleeping. I am huge on the kids needing their sleep!

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It is advised that computers are kept in the "family" space so that at any time you can see what is going on. too many cases of internet predators chatting with young girls, young boys getting into web sites they shouldn't. Our "kids" computer is in our home office - they won't have one in their room

7. mamort

mamort Approved members

no Tv's or computers in the kids room. They have one in the play room, that is out in the open. We do have a TV in our romm, but the only time it is on, is when someone is sick and stays in our bed.

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Chell just turned 19, and she just finally got a tv in her room. As far as a computer, she has a very old IBM laptop that was giving to us, but there is no internet on her computer. That she will take in her room.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wow! We don't even have a plasma tv in our house:eek:

The girls will be getting my laptop when it comes time to upgrade soon. This will be placed in the playroom and will get parental controls. When the time comes for doing homework up in their rooms, they will get one, but there will be no internet. That will have to be used in a public place.
    No tv allowed in the bedroom. I don't feel there is any need for one.

Both my girls want cell phones...they're only 8!

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yes, my oldest does, but it's his school computer and it's REALLY locked down as far as what he can do... he can access school stuff online and pretty much nothing else (and there's no TV or anything distracting in his room either). It's really only in his bedroom for the benefit of having somewhere quiet to work away from the younger 2 kids, as they can (and do) make it impossible to concentrate on anything. He doesn't always want to use that one though.

When he wants to play he uses the computer in the living room. Sometimes he works on school stuff there too, like he is right now, but my 4yo is not here right now so it's just the 2yo to worry about, and he's busy drawing :)

11. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

No-no

No, not at all. The computer is in the family room, screen in plain view. TV and DVD are in the living room. Even with us keeping an eye on the web surfing, we had a couple of undesired intrusions when the children were chatting with Messenger. So more to the point that they can have a computer in their own room... when they marry.

And as for their friends having walls of plasma, we just plain state that if their parents think this is a suitable way to educate, we beg to differ.

12. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Emma was 5 when she started to have a computer in her room. She used it to play video games and other edu-tainment programs. Now she's almost 8 and she has access to her email, MSN, and bookmarks of her favourite YouTube videos. She also plugs in her Ipod Nano into it to recharge and add music.

Here's the catch, she has Linux on it so that if she does something to blow up the operating system, it's just a matter of reinstallation without having to deal with stupid licensing and it also teachs her that there isn't just Microsoft out there.

13. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

both from my girlfriend and i, I have my own laptop, tv, cell phone, everything, and have for many years, and they're all in my room. was it supervised? for a while, here and there. as for my girlfriend, shes had her own computer since she was around 10 or 11, never supervised, nothing. she has her own tv in her room, along with her own cell phone. i think its just a matter of parental preferences. ask yourself this, do you think you taught your children well enough to let them do things on their own? do you trust your teachings? not to say that you guys dont, you are all wonderful parents, and your children are still young, so yes, they still need this part of parenting. best of luck making your decisions. :)

14. shekov

shekov Approved members

We tend to be quite old fashioned here. Our tv, computer, etc. are kept in our family room and shared.

I let the kids go online if I approve of the site ahead of time.

As they get older I will let them do facebook etc. and monitor their pages.

I DO feel like technology is shifting. Where I may have stretched the phone cord across the hall into the bathroom so I could shut the door for a private chat with a friend, my kids will probably tweet, text or facebook. I get that.

What I don't like is putting info out there for the world to see or allowing her to see whatever people feel is appropriate to share, KWIM?

15. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Absolutely not! Even without internet access. It's too easy to piggyback onto a nearby wireless network.

Even with the kids computer in the family room, I still use invisible tracking software to monitor their usage, and still run across things from time to time that we don't approve of. What is difficult to believe for us is that we have never hidden the fact that their computer usage is logged. They KNOW there is absolutely nothing they can do on the computer that can't be seen by mom and dad, but will still try to get away with it from time to time. Of course, that doesn't deter them either from trying little try tips and tricks from their friends at school to try and outsmart dad. lol

As I type, after two warnings, one of our sons is just coming off a 30 day restriction from the computer (the 17th). If it's school related, he is allowed, but only with mom or dad present.

16. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Ok. When you have your own curtain climbers running around, you'll learn the wisdom of Ronald Reagan who said "Trust, but verify". I also subscribe to Heathcliff Huxtable's (Bill Cosby) view on children owning things: "Your mother and I own this house, the cars, the TVs and everything else. You own nothing! We let you use our stuff out of the goodness of our hearts. We worked hard to earn the money to get nice things. Don't you forget it. It can all be taken away just like that."

No TVs and no computers in the bedrooms. Cell phones are allowed during awaking hours.

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Nope. We just have the one anyway, but she still wouldn't get one in her room. She doesn't have a TV in there either. Anything she could do in her room on the computer, she can do in the living room.

18. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I have a computer in my room (that's actually where I'm typing this from), TV, and multiple video game platforms that my sister and I share. There is a computer for everyone in the house, including one that is for family general use (which that's the one I generally use).

19. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

No TVs or computers in our kids' bedrooms. They do have a TV in their playroom upstairs. Our computer is shared in the living room. Connor likes to play computer games on our computer, but he has to earn the privilege with good behavior at school/homework/chores. It is the one thing that motivates him. We put a screen lock on the computer, so the boys must ask permission before using the computer.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  20. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We never had computers or TVs in the kids' rooms either.

My work computer is in my office. The kids' computer is in the family room. I don't monitor the computer invasively but I do believe there is a safety factor in knowing someone could be looking over your shoulder at any moment. It does sometimes mean I have to turn the TV off when Aaron's working on homework but it also makes it easy for the kids to ask about something they're working on or get feedback on an essay. And I dunno, there's something about that as a lesson in consideration and priorities.

Once they're going to university or college they get laptops and can keep them wherever they want!