- advertisement -

Do You Want to Meet other T1's, Make a Difference AND travel to Washington, DC?!?!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Dx011106, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

Hi Everyone!
    As you may gather from my username, I was diagnosed January 11, 2006. I had just turned 18 the month before and was ending the first semester of my senior year of high school (I was diagnosed literally 1.5 weeks before finals). I'm almost 21 now and still discovering new things about my diabetes every day. Plenty of ups and downs, for example: I moved to Washington, DC four weeks ago and my body is not very happy! I've had to change all my pump settings (correction rate, carb ratio, etc.) and have had at least seven to eight lows each week.

I am currently a Junior in college and I have received the opportunity to study in Washington, DC for the semester. With my program came two days each week set aside to intern for an organization of my choosing. I am now starting my third week and have been presented with a task: recruit kids and teens to apply for Children's Congress!

I was diagnosed too late for this amazing opportunity, but would love to pass the information along to anyone currently unaware:
    For those of you that don't know, Children’s Congress organizes over a hundred children from across the country, ages 4-17 and living with type 1, in Washington, DC to meet with members of congress. The goal is to convey to the lawmakers what life is really like for children living with type 1 diabetes.
    In years past, these children have met with members, testified in front of congress, and more. It can be a great experience for the kids and can have a highly beneficial impact on congress’ overall knowledge about diabetes and the funding necessary for a cure! There is still time to apply so I definitely recommend that anyone interested look into it at http://cc.jdrf.org

Please ask any questions you may have! Feel free to reply here or email me directly!!!

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I bet I'm going to offend people. But when I see some of the videos from the Children's Congress, I don't think it shows a representational view of what it's like to live with diabetes at all. I think it showcases the bad parts in an attempt to get cure funding.
    I was diagnosed at 17 and was never eligible for the Children's Congress, but I would not want to go tell somebody that my life sucks. I do not want to think about diabetes as a huge negative thing. I don't want to give it the power to be a huge negative thing.
    And furthermore, I hate it when organizations representing disabilities, particularly medical ones, only showcase children with the condition. What, do diabetic children not grow up? I don't know if it would bother me so much if I hadn't been influenced by the group Jerry's Orphans.

3. Dx011106

We certainly appreciate your feedback!

In response:
    The videos you have viewed are not representative of the whole event. Of course the struggles are highlighted. If people thought diabetes was a walk in the park, for lack of a better term, there would not be a huge effort to research for a cure. These children are in no way applying to Children's Congress saying "My life sucks because...". Instead, they are saying, "My quality of life is compromised because..." followed by, "research helps me by..." and "your previous support has been greatly appreciated, but don't forget about us until there is a cure."
    If congress saw happy, joyous children running around without a care in the world, it would not be representative of their days. Diabetic children have to stop in the middle of their soccer game, clean a finger, and check their blood sugar. Only if it is stable can they return to the field. Yes, this is better than not being able to play at all, but their quality of life could be so much better if a cure is discovered.
    Furthermore, children are highlighted because it is at that age when they are most impressionable, diagnosed, and affected. Of course these children grow up and become adults, but that is where you and I come in. Age 18 is when US residents turn from simple citizens to constituents. We have the power to vote and determine what issues we find important. Without our support, our legislators are out of office.
    As I am sure you are aware, diabetes is an autoimmune disorder. If a cure is found for diabetes, there is a high likelihood that other cures can be found.
    Finally, both of us do not have the experience as being a diabetic child, so I'm not sure how much we can judge what it's like and how hard it is or isn't. Personally, I had the freedom to check my blood sugar in high school and now college without much question. If someone did ask what I was doing, I was at liberty to share or tell them to mind their own business. Imagine being a child placed in that same position. I have the ability to translate my needs and receive their help. There are countless cases of children being embarrassed about the disease and hiding it, not taking care of it, and eventually suffering great consequences.

These kids are doing something about their disease. They are not apathetic. They are not sitting by the side and watching other causes receive funding. They are champions for this disease and I am grateful for those that have come before and those that will work towards a cure now and in the future.

Once again, thank you for your input. If you have any other suggestions or questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!

4. Dx011106

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  5. Dx011106

Just a reminder!

Applications for Children's Congress are due October 6th! So if you're at all interested please visit cc.jdrf.org and look into it!!! :)

6. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I would, but I'm turning 18 this year so I can't.

7. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I'm signing up as soon as I write a letter.

8. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

I'm 18... I hate 18... I want to do it... being 18 sucks... stupid 18... WHAT?? THEY COULDN'T CONCEIVE ME A COUPLE YEARS later??? 18.... bah humbug!

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Kassie, you're crazy, absolutely crazy...anyway, I'm 16, but doctors and people who know about D do NOT make my mother less paranoid **sigh**.

10. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

...I'm going to take that as a compliment... :cool: LOL :D

11. Dx011106

Glad to hear that! Good luck with your letter!

... Sorry to those of you just past the cut-off age. I was diagnosed a month after turning 18, so I feel your pain.

12. Dx011106

One last reminder

Applications for Children's Congress are due in the office (not postmarked) THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 6TH!!!

Please feel free to ask me any questions here or shoot me an email!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  13. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I sent it in through the internet the day befor it was due. I took my time on my letter so it would be a good one!