- advertisement -

Do you wait until your pump warranty is up and pump is broke before ordering a new one?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, May 6, 2015.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Just curious, we always with our endo advice order a new pump when it goes out of warranty. Sometimes we have got a new one right before the warranty is up or if we need a different feature then we get a new one.

Or do some people wait until pump dies and it is out of warranty.

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd's Ping was almost 5 yrs old when she got her T:slim. If the internal battery hadn't been dying, we would've waited longer. That Ping was a replacement & was only 18 months old.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I think most people wait until it is out of warranty. Through an odd series of events I actually have 3 in warranty pumps right now. An omnipod (which I rarely use), medtronic revel, and tslim (my main pump). My insurance was willing to pay for a new pump since it was a new company and they had never paid for a pump for me before. The main reason I got the tslim was so my medtronic revel could become my backup pump for travel. I just had tandem run it through to see if they could get coverage for me and they were able to without issues. Previously though I used my minimed 522 until it was years out of warranty. I kind of regret that because it ended up in pretty horrible condition by the end and if I had replaced it right away I could have had a sturdy back up pump. I only ordered a revel because my beloved minimed 522 had a bunch of large cracks in it and my parents were convinced it was about to fall apart and made me replace it.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've been a bit of a pump junkie. I had my Cozmo first (1700, then 1800 through free upgrade). I was able to get insurance to buy me a Paradigm 522 about a year and a half after that with Smith's exiting the pump business. I upgraded that to the 523 through Medtronic's upgrade program when that came out. I used the 523 for a solid 4 years, including a year after the warranty ended. I still had my Cozmo that worked and I never had problems with either pump, so I felt okay having an out of warranty pump and wasn't excited about anything on the market. When the 530g came out I went ahead and got that through insurance. About a year after I had my 530g I got the Omnipod through the Cut the Cord program. I'll have been on the Omnipod a year next month. Now I bought an Asante Snap pump controller. They have a similar program to Omnipod where you can buy the controller for a fairly low price, since the start up cost is low and the on going cost is higher. My Omnipod warranty is up next month (Cut the Cord only has a 1 year warranty), so then my 530g and my Snap will be in warranty.

So I've been pumping 10 years and I'll have tried 7 different models of pumps.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We recently saw the end of the warranty. :(. No more free pump clips.

Endo said our company replaces every 5 years, not 4 (I haven't called to verify that, and I also suspect we could get them to replace it if it broke in that year) but even with insurance a new one would cost a lot, so we are sticking with what we have as long as it still works. (Not to mention using up the supplies we have). I know this leaves us at risk for having to do mdi for a while if it breaks and replacement takes time, but that isn't enough to motivate us to spend the $$ before we need to. This pump came in under a week so I'm not too concerned.

I know a lot of people will replace an out of warranty pump that still works, and that's fine too.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

For us, it depends. One time we were coming up on the warranty expiring and my husbands insurance was changing. We knew we got better coverage on the outgoing insurance, so we ordered a new one. The next time they will be eligible for new pumps will be when they are juniors in HS. I will probably order new ones so that when they go off to college (eek, eeek, eeeeek!) they will each have a back up.

7. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

This last go-round, our insurance wouldn't replace the out-of-warranty pump just because it was out of warranty. They said it had to be broken or defective to be replaced. We had to submit photos showing cracks, etc. to show the pump was at risk of failure to get it approved. It was pretty annoying. I was on the cusp of dropping it in the tub when the approval came through. ;)

8. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Our insurance company required my dd's pump to be out of warranty and also prove that it was not working. We ended up having to show no delivery errors and prove that it had a crack in the case before they would let us order a new one.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Wow. I am surprised that it is cost effective for the insurance company to have someone review photos and then if they deny to deal with an appeal process. Ali

10. GChick

GChick Approved members

That seems crazy. I can "respect" them requiring it to actually be out of warranty, they gotta make a buck (or a few million?) too... I can even "respect" them not necessarily giving you a new one immediately following the warranty period (in other words extending it to a specified "5 years") but requiring it to be broken (IOW requiring you to have what you ~may~ consider to be sub-standard care by having to go back on MDI until it goes through) just seems overkill.

This is my first pump so I honestly don't know my own insurance's stance on when I am "allowed" to get a new one at the end of the warranty. I have no intension of replacing any time before warranty is up, but assuming my insurance allows a new one after warranty, I don't intend to make a mad dash to get a new one either. What I do hope to do is use the old one for a few months to a year past warranty (depending on condition of it) and then get a new one and hopefully be able to use the old as backup. Would prefer to replace before its on its last legs as I still want a reliable backup though.

All this depends on a few factors such as condition of the pump at the time and my own financial standing (would rather wear the old into the ground than be too strapped for cash as I still have to pay 20% of the cost).

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our insurance company will replace every 4 years.

We were just in the process of trialing the t:slim when our MM pump died a watery death. I'm so mad that I didn't replace it sooner so that we would have a reliable backup. We do have a Pod system, which is better than nothing, but I don't trust the damn thing for very long.

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

My insurance policy is that once out of warranty to replace. I commented earlier that I just found the denial process that others have spoken of not very cost effective, if the pumps really are reliable for longer than the manufactures warranty then they need to find a way to reduce the cost to replace (for all of us)
    to a superior product. :) Ali