- advertisement -

Do you think that Nick Jonas is gloryfying Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AprilHoover, Sep 26, 2009.

1. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Nick Jonas - I just don't like this guy. He seems fake, and plenty of kids can't get the insulin he gets in third world countries, and he's always saying 'oh poor me.' He doesn't have to go to school and deal with the ridicule - he has it easy. Some might say I'm jealous, but if you look at his speech on YouTube about his Diabetes - look at some of the hater's comments. Most of them say that he should die, he got it himself from eating too much junk food, it's his fault and that he only wants attention. Then, the fangirls say 'OHMEEGEE i lyk totalie luv u nick ur so hot i was crying watching this i wanna marry u,' when they would probably roll their eyes at a normal girl like me who's dealing with it! Sorry - I'm very opinionated. He didn't even bother to explain that he didn't get it from eating too much sugar! On an interview this lady asked him if he could have a cup cake - he didn't even get angry at her! GRRR!:mad:. Opinons, anyone?:eek:

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Let's cut the kid some slack, okay? He's done an admirable job, in my opinion, of being open and honest about his diabetes. He's under no obligation to be the spokesperson of type 1, yet he's gone out of his way to be a role model for our kids. Plus he's what? 15 or 16 years old? He's a kid himself.

I can't imagine how much mail he must get. I wouldn't expect him to respond to every letter.

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I don't know that anyone glorifies diabetes. Some get more attention for what they go through that's true.
    While I don't follow Nick Jonas as I'm too old and have no teen girls, I don't know exactly what he does in interviews but I hope he's getting the message out about what he goes through and with his "superstar" personality it will reach more people who are in the position of wealth and power to help find a cure for all who suffer with the condition.
    Is it possible that while you think he should get angry over the common misconceptions people have about type 1 diabetes that he may just prefer to keep getting the right messages out without being confrontational?
    I'm sorry you have type 1 and that go through all that you do each and every day, I hope that even though you don't like Nick Jonas that he can inspire people to help find a cure so you won't have to endure it your entire life. ((hugs))

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think noone here knows him personally to be able to give a proper opinion on his character. Plus, it's not up to anyone of us to judge his actions. We don't know how he feels.

I think there are other better things to concentrate on.;)

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

He is a public figure who is suffering from a chronic disease and he has chosen to speak out. He is raising the profile of Type 1 diabetes, which is important. People can see that someone who is healthy, fit, and a celebrity can have Type 1 and still have a "normal" life (well, normal for him).

I cannot imagine for one minute he is glorifying Type 1 diabetes. I cannot imagine for one minute, if given the choice, that he would choose NOT to have Type 1 diabetes. He is taking the hand he is dealt, and making the best of it, and using his celebrity in a positive way, trying to raise the profile of this disease.

He cares a lot about his fans that have Type 1 diabetes. I saw him when he testified before Congress and he really took a chance to meet some of the kids. I think he is very genuine.

Lets also remember that he is still a kid - he is showing amazing maturity for just a kid. Yeah, he may not have to deal with what some of our children may have to deal with, but he already has a job to do and he has had to learn very quickly how to manage his adrenaline highs and his activity lows while out on the stage in front of thousands of fans without missing a beat.

I don't think he needs to explain that he didn't get it from eating sugar. I don't think he needs to get angry because someone asks if he can have a cupcake. I appreciate when someone else cares enough to ask questions about my daughter to make sure she can be safe.

I think he's doing a pretty good job with his life.

I'm sorry that things have been rough for you. I think that everyone is going to have a different experience with diabetes and it sounds like yours has been hard recently. I don't think that getting angry at Nick Jonas because of his situation is gonna help yours, unfortunately. You are each dealt the hand you have and its best to find a way to work for the better within the situation you are in rather than resenting someone else for being in a different one.

6. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Why would you get angry if someone asked if you could have a cupcake? That confuses me. Would you rather they exclude you? Wouldnt that be more upsetting to you? When someone asks me if my son can have something, I appreciate them taking the time to ask rather than 1) just giving it to him not knowing if its ok or 2) not bothering to offer it at all. I just say 'yes he can have it, if he WANTS it, he just has to cover it w/ insulin". Maybe the lady was asking because she didnt know if he could eat everyday kid stuff. Whatever her reason, getting angry serves no purpose. Itd be easier, and nicer, to explain why or why not. Look at it this way, at least she took the time to ask. Alot of people dont.

As for Nick Jonas, if his celebrity brings more awareness, then more power to him! But he IS only a kid so I dont expect him to take on the world of D all by himself. Other celebrities with it dont, so why should he?

Im so sorry that you're angry. Have you had D long? It really sounds like you need to talk about it. Remember that either in the teen or parents forum, we are here for you!! :cwds:

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

He's made it so a lot of kids with type 1 diabetes are more comfortable sharing openly about diabetes. I appreciate the awareness being raised, the commercials on TV, the comments at every concert. He can't possibly answer all fan mail.

8. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

The lady asked if he could have a cup cake and then laughed hysterically. He doesn't say the difference between type 1 and type 2, he doesn't make it clear that he will NOT die of it, he makes it seem like he is about to die even though he is not, and he doesn't explain what Diabetes REALLY is and how serious it actually is. A Little Bit Longer is about 'the highs and lows' - which is medical. No offense to anyone here or anything bad like that; I am so, so, so, so sorry if I offended anyone!
    - April.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  9. Lee

Lee Approved members

It isn't up to him to clear up every misconception about Type 1 - he does not even have the responsibility to, but he DOES but effort into increasing awareness. I honestly think you re being unfair. He SHOULD NOT have to explain about eating a cupcake. People ask our kids all the time about the same information, and as parents, we get damn sick and tired of explaining, I am sure you do also. Don't you get tired when people ask you if you can eat that? Or, honestly, do you go into a long discussion about the different types of diabetes, and how you got it, etc? No - you don't? So why would you expect him to?

He is just a kid with diabetes - he is not responsible for raising awareness, he just has the opportunity to - and he does a good ob.

In my 3 1/2 years, I have seen awareness rise to an entirely new level thanks to his involvement - I mean, I am sure you read Perez Hilton - all teenagers (Oh, and me) do. When he spoke before Congress, Perez talked about it; TMZ talked about; ET talked about it; all the News organizations talked about it...

Hello - how is that not raising awareness. Honestly, and I hope you don't take this wrong, but I thikn you are being unfair and expecting this kid to live a standard that I woul dnever set for my child - to 'be' diabetes 24/7 - instead of living a life and dealing iwth t1./

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I took my 7 yr old their concert in August. Before that, I didnt really have an opinion on the boy. After hearing him play Alittle Bit Longer, and the little speech he says during the song, I wanted to know more about him and the band.

I love that he openly talks about his diabetes, raises money, etc. I know telling my daughter's class that Nick Jonas has diabetes too makes Jess seem normal.

At times, epecially in the beginning, it would bug me that everyone didn't understand. Now, I realize I didnt know anything about it before diagnosisl, so why should I expect others to. If someone asked me if Jess could have a cupcake, I might come across snippy with an answer (depending on my day) but Jess wouldn't really thikn twice about it. You got to remember Nick is a kid..he just turned 17. He doesnt think the same as us parents.

11. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I dont know about anyone else but you didnt offend me! :) As for him 'acting like he's gonna die' - ok, noone here is living with this boy. We really dont know how his numbers are, if he's having any other issues with it or what. Im sure he doesnt share everything with the public, and he shouldnt have to. Maybe he doesnt say that he will not die of it because he wants people to realize how dangerous and life threatening it CAN be.

As for the lady laughing hysterically, well maybe she just insensitive or just plain rude. If thats the case, than he was being the bigger person by ignoring her comment, IMO.

Ive actually never heard the words to A Little Bit Longer. My daughter is more into Hannah Montana right now LOL.

12. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

April -

I do not feel it is Nick Jonas's job to always comment on diabetes.

I look at Nick as boy who is lucky enough to be living out his dream of being a pop star to his young fans. That was what he was doing before diabetes came into his life and from I see he is doing a good job of trying to balance his life, with D in the mix. Just because he is in the public eye doesn't mean he is responsible to educate and raise awareness at every interview or appearance.

Do I like it when he does get it right and talks openly about type 1, yes but I do not expect him to let it consume his life. Just as I do not except my son, or you for that matter, to let diabetes consume your lives.

Please know that we all can be resentful at times but in the long run we are in it together and should try to let some of that go.

I hope you are having a better day!!!! :)

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

The kid has just this month turned 17. He lives a public life. The fact that he stays civil and pleasant while carrying the banner of Type 1 is commendable. He's testified before Congress. He's putting a face on the disease. When he met with the Children's Congress delegates and the President, he seemed to be very decent and well spoken. He doesn't glorify the disease. He lives his life with, and in spite of, the disease.

He's the same age as my kid, and I'd be utterly thrilled to have Tom comport himself as well in such a public arena.

14. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Good point :]!
    - April.

15. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I adore Nick Jonas and I think for a kid in the spotlight, he is handling himself tremendously. He is raising awareness and money and thanks to his work (and so many others), there may be a cure in yours and my son's lifetime.

You seem very angry (I have read several of your posts). I hope you will continue to post here for support and I hope you will look to your family and close friends for support. We all need a REAL (not virtual) hug sometimes. :)

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

explain this. You don't want him to make it seem like he's about to die but you want him explain how serious it is?

17. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No, I think he seems like a very nice, mature kid who is doing a great thing raising awareness for type 1 diabetes.

It sounds like you are very angry. You might want to talk to someone. Holding on to anger like that is not healthy. D sucks at times no doubt, but you can't let it control you like that. Even with D, life can be great! :cwds:

18. Toni

Toni Banned

I just LOVE that kid! When adult movie stars who have Type 1 are (a) either completely in the closet (Sharon Stone) or go out of their way to confuse the two types (Halle Berrie), here comes this little 14 year old kid, who was not even that famous at the time, puts his career on the line, and goes out of his way to be a positive role model to young kids. Okay if you don't like his music or maybe you have outgrown his TV show and movies, but this kid is more of a man than those twice his age. He does not go into too much detail, and tries to put a positive spin on diabetes, telling kids, yes, you too, can live your dream. P.S. I am of the opinion that the nitty-gritty of diabetes care is too much information for the general population (unless it is fund-raising time). It could scare other parents into not extending play dates, limit kids' after school activity choices, and there could be more discrimination in the workplace. That is why a lot of people do not go into too much detail.

19. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Anybody who helps our kids with diabetes feel a little less alone is OK in my book.

20. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I personally love him!!!! When we went to their concert last year Alli had to check her bg. The girls sitting around us were like Oh my God she has d just like Nick. Alli for the only time in her life felt ok about having d. Even if it was just for a moment.

I also think he is a great role model, not just the d stuff but he seems like a great kid with a very grounded family. Not too many celebrities are like that!!!