- advertisement -

Do you specify what kind of D your child has?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I want to stress that it can create problems I say insulin dependent diabetes. Or these days I can just point to my Dexcom and say I have to respond to these alarms from my glucose monitor.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yes, I say Type 1 and just the other day I contemplated saying "autoimmune disease" and not even clarifying it is diabetes unless asked.

3. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

YES! I always say Type 1, sometimes I might say juvenile diabetes, sometimes I might say 'a medical condition', & occasionally have said 'pancreatic malfunction' !

4. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I tell people that my son has an autoimmune disorder called type 1 diabetes, every time, even if somebody says "oh, he's diabetic," I smile and say, "no, he's a boy whose immune system attacked his beta cells rendering them useless at producing insulin." Granted they may not get it, but I feel I am arming him with the knowledge every time I answer. As for your situation I'd tell them that I needed my phone on so that my child could reach me if any medical emergency would arise. If they asked, I'd then specify, but I'm not one to share unless I need to either :)

5. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

I always say that my son has type 1 diabetes. I think it's because I don't like that diabetes is lumped into one disease even though the types are so different.

6. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

I always say my daughter has Type 1. For some reason, even when I hear people say "diabetes", I immediately think type 2. I think if you say Type 1, people are more apt to think about younger people, shots, insulin.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'll say "chronic illness" at first. Then just "type 1" without diabetes. Vaguer is better.

I never use the term "juvenile diabetes". Too many people think this "kids who type 2 diabetes due to obesity", regardless of the technically correct definition.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yes I do. *I* know the differences between the different types and that type 1 isn't cause by poor eating and laziness. I also know that type 2 isn't necessarily caused by this either. BUT the general public does not and I don't want people thinking the wrong thing. Not sure they even hear anything beyond "diabetes" but just in case.