- advertisement -

Do you specify what kind of D your child has?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I am taking college classes and most of the teachers have a "cell phone off" rule. I usually tell them that I need to leave mine on vibrate because I have a diabetic child and he may need to reach me. I feel the need to specify that it is Type 1 or insulin dependent so they realize why it is important for my child to reach me. I almost want to say that it is the "bad" kind of diabetes. Please don't flame me, but since a lot of times Type 2 is due to obesity, poor eating habits, etc...I don't want them to think it is that kind. When you tell someone your child has diabetes, do you specify what kind?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No. Most people don't know the difference anyway, and those who do will know that it's pretty unlikely that my thin 7 year old has type 2.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I would probably say I needed it for 'medical reasons' not specifically Diabetes. :cwds:

4. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I do. For that same reason. I always say Type 1. Sometimes that's all I say, I don't even add the word Diabetes...

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I always say type 1 diabetes when it comes up that I have diabetes. I realize that most people don't know the difference, but I say type 1 anyways. In some situations I will follow up by saying something like "that's the type of diabetes that you get when you're a kid, it's autoimmune".

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I say juvenile diabetes.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, I usually specify Type 1 or insulin dependent.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I always say that Hana has Type 1/Juvenile Diabetes.

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I invariably say she has Type 1 diabetes.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Type 2 gets a bad rap. From what I've read, it's very hereditary. Certainly being overweight and not exercising makes it worse, but from what I've read you can't "get" type 2 from being obese. Also, it seems as if type 2 can actually be "the bad" diabetes because people can go years without knowing they have it (if they don't do a fasting blood test) and by the time they find out, complications have already begun. And many type 2's progress to become insulin dependent just like type 1's.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

I always say type 1 diabetes..I think it helps people understand that there is more than one kind.

12. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I agree! I would like for more people to understand there is in fact a difference between Type 1 and Type 2. So I always try to make sure I say Type 1.

13. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I usually specify that she has type 1 diabetes. That helps when you have people like my daughters math teacher....she said one day in class, "don't eat too much candy, or you will get diabetes, just ask Danielle." My daughter told her, "um, I think you are talking about a different kind of diabetes, mine is autoimmune."

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Also and they have just discovered there is an autoimmune component as well. I really appreciate you saying this. I think I would say insulin-dependent diabetes or life-threatening condition. Really I don't think the person needs to know exactly what unless it is absolutely necessary.

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Eating too much candy doesn't cause diabetes but it can lead to a lot of cavities, etc. I do like your daughter's openess about Type 1 though.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

For situations like that, where I need to be reached or may need to leave, I just say I'll be receiving an important call that cannot be ignored. If asked what, I just say I have a kid with a chronic disease. Usually the questioning stops there.

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

This is my usual statement as well. I meet with customers and as I lay my phone on the table i say, "I promise I will only take calls that are related to my child's chronic illness." They always understand.

Also I say Type 1/Juvile Diabetes.

18. lynn

lynn Approved members

I used to but hardly do anymore. My husband ALWAYS says "Juvenile Diabetes".

As an aside about type 2; when my mother was diagnosed with type 2 many, many years ago I brought one of my kids for a check-up shortly after. They asked the health history questions again to update things and I told the nurse that my mother was diagnosed with diabetes. She asked if it was type 1 or type 2 and I said I had no idea I just knew that she had medication and was supposed to "eat right". You know what she said? "Oh, that's the bad kind. Make sure you watch yourself when you get older because you have a high probability of developing it as well and you don't want to go undiagnosed for a long time."

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Almost always say Type 1...I get so peeved how the media always just says "Diabetes" when they usually mean Type 2...I do try to make the distinction to educate people if they ask. And, when the TV or magazines say "Diabetes" when they mean just Type 2...I will usually yell "Type 2, Type 2!!" to try to educate them as well!!:p:D This is not working so far!:mad:;)

20. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

always say type 1 or the autoimmune kind-i think that plants a seed that there is more than just the blanket term of "diabetes" where peoples minds flash to the typical headline on the news "diabetes" that shows fat people walking down the street.