- advertisement -

Do you go 2 or 3 days on your pump site changes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How many days do you go between site changes and what type of set are you using, location, what type of insulin.

We currently go 3 days on Novolog using Inset 6mm straight in sets. High hip area for the last 12 years.

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

On average, every 3 days.

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I've been planning on starting my own thread on this because we have problems. I still will, but to answer your question we see stubborn highs if we stall until the third day.

Oh, and we use 6mm insets, thighs or booty. Humalog

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

We change by 2-2 1/2 days. DS uses humalog, 6mm Mios usually in the upper hip/bottom area.

It's really rare we can go 3 days lately. We get a lot of stubborn highs around the start of day 2...hence the 3am site change I did this morning, that was a little over 2 days old.;)

6. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

When ds was pinging, we had many problems on day 3. Now that he is using the Revel, he gets through day 3 with little to no problems. Not sure if it's just because we are using a different infusion set (quick-set) or maybe even the 300u reservoir vs 200?

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

6mm Insets/Inset 30s, Apidra

2 days. The sites stall early on the 3rd day. We stopped even trying to push it.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

6mm Insets/Inset/Humalog
    switch out every 2 1/2 days on average
    Sites: back of upper arms, stomach, love handles around waist going to lower back, butt anywhere you don't sit on

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

2 days. I use Mios or Silhouettes depending on location of site. Locations include my stomach, upper butt, lower back towards the sides, upper legs, and upper arms. I use Apidra.

I get stuck in the 400s towards the end of day 3 on a site. It is much easier for me to just change the site every other night then to end up having to do a site change and shot when I am not home.

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I has always been 2 3/4 days whether DD used sihouettes or Mios. Since she switched to 9mm Mios last year from the 6mm, site failures are rare.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we get 3-4days on a site but only 2 days on insulin. We do not change at the same time.

12. onthego

onthego Approved members

We had so many issues with sites until we switched to Contact Detach... we can get a good 3- often 4 days out of a site now. His A1cs have been great- the CDE says "We have to write something down for you to work on so we'll say change sites after 3 days." But the funny thing is he actually tends to run lower by day 4 then higher! I was sooo reluctant to change to steel cannulas but truly- they have changed our lives.

Oh and we exclusively use the buttocks and we use Novolog.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm confused by what you mean about 2 days on insulin. Also, do you supposed your sites last longer since you do untethered?

We don't change out insulin in the reservoir with our sites. I fill the 300 ml to full, and we switch it when it alarms low. The CDE that did our pump start suggested it. It works well for me. I don't like trying to estimate how much insulin my daughter might need for how long the site will last, and I find that if there is a bubble problem when filling the reservoir, it is taken care of with the first tubing fill and the rest are clear sailing.

We typically change every two days, but recently we forgot and went four with it failing.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have found with Apidra that the insulin only last 2 days in the pump, before she was un-tethered I always thought is was because she wore her pump in a pocket on a tanktop between her shoulders, so it was always warm with body heat.

But once we went un-tethered I keep on finding that on 2.5-3 days (on insulin in cartridge) that any type of bolus would not work well ( no matter if it was a 1day old or a 4 day old site). Just this morning for instance the site is almost at 72+ hours and I gave a correction before she woke up ( because the correction last night did not bring her down all the way) and when she got up she had barely budged decided to change insulin before the breakfast bolus and leave the site. Sure enough she came flying down with new insulin but old site.

I usually only fill her cartridge to 100units and end up still wasting anywhere between 20-40 units of that depending on how much she used in the 2ish days. ( I reuse the cartridge at theat point)

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We are typically 4 days but often we get to 5 and haven't realized it because the #s are still good. Sometimes 3 - rarely less unless there is a really bad kink in the set

16. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

If I'm using my Sure-T's, I can get three days out of a site.
    If I'm using my silhouettes, then I usually pull after two.

17. Dan

Dan Approved members

We use Apedria and the OmniPod and we always go 80 hrs. between pod changes. We also store all Insulin in fridge.

18. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We easily get 4-5 days out of an AccuChek Rapid D with Novolog..
    Now we are using funded Contact Detach sites and only get 2-3 days at the most... :(

19. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

When DS first started pumping we could often get 5 days, and I think a few times we accidentally went longer. We'd change every 3-4 usually, but sometimes forget. Nowadays we get about 2 1/2 to three days before he starts going higher.

20. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I go 4-5 days(length the reservoir lasts) without a problem, but I rotate 10 sites, arms legs, butt, belly and hips! And I rotate within each area, I also don't CGM so do have lots of rotation areas!