- advertisement -

Do you ever feel like because of diabetes...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Oct 7, 2011.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

You just can't take any more stress?

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

All the time!!! The last month and a half have been crappy and I'm not sure how much more we can handle....

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yep, and then more piles on.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Not because of Diabetes, but I have been feeling that way for years. Just as my load FINALLY lifted and I felt free and light and happy, BOOM! Diabetes presented itself, and it's been up and down since then.. just like the rest of life. Sometimes life is beautiful and sometimes it sucks like a hoover.

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Yep, and still it keeps coming :(

6. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Gosh yes!! Some days are obviously so much worse but we have to keep plugging on being the best pancreases we can be...

Julian just started preschool this last week and there is no school nurse...that is part of my stress

7. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

I suffering debilitating migraines. I am married to a hemophiliac with several chronic issues. We certainly weren't looking to add another chronic disease! But on the up side, my husband is fully comfortable with needles and shots! Just try to laugh every day, it's a proven stress reliever.

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Not necessarily because of diabetes but it definitely adds a whole other layer to my stress. :cwds:

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Between cancer and diabetes....definately.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I can't even agree enough with this, words are worthy. There have been days recently (like when my mom get unusual xray results then needed a biopsy of her thyroid) when I think I will literally collapse and be rocking in a corner if just one more drop of worry/stress comes my way.

I'm really on edge right now and am not sure why at all. It's odd, there are days/weeks that I handle things with confidence and ability, and then there are weeks where I feel like a numbed idiot with no feelings and I'm running on robot power (and not a good competent robot either!).

So, to answer in a word: yes.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't like to blame diabetes. If it wasn't diabetes it would be something else. Stress is a part of life and it is challenging to learn how to manage it.

12. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I don't know if I would call it stress, but diabetes adds additional stuff to take care of every day--a routine. And when the routine is changed or something else is added (like the dog needing an unexpected bath because of something he got into in the morning) then I may get stressed out...or ask DH to wash the dog so I can get everything else done! :D

13. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

YES:( Stress has become such a gigantic part of mylife and myself since diabetes/celiac entered, I just don't know how I make it through some days

14. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

My hubby is a hemophiliac too...but he is sometimes still a baby with the needles but to give him a little credit, he isn't poked too much either so whatever.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Why not blame diabetes? Diabetes stinks! I never ever blame the child, but yeah, I have no problem at all hating diabetes. It has definitely changed the landscape of my life right now. Sure, it could be any other disease or life event, but it's not, it's diabetes. And I blame it for making my life stressful.

Are there good and positive things that have come out of diabetes? YES. Do I wish it were some other disease that was less manageable or that there were not effective treatments for? NO. But it is what it is, and it definitely causes stress to the point that many days I feel overwhelmed, saddened, angry, bitter.

If it were any other chronic disease, I'd have no problem blaming that disease either.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep. It has changed me, in some ways for the better and in some ways not so much. It definitely makes me feel that I cant have any more **** stacked on the pile or I'll buckle under the weight

17. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

Yep - Absoultely. And I DO blame diabetes (never my child, and I would never blame the diabetes in front of her). I hate what it does to my daughter, I hate what she will have to live with and I hate that I have to leave my oldest daughter to fend for herself so much out of sheer necessity since there is only one of me and two of them. Ugh.

18. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I actually get pissed off since none of this **** happens to other people I know. seems like there lives are so easy, so rosey.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes!! That's exactly it. I would also hazard a guess that if you asked any of them they would easily blame _____________ for their stress. Just off the top of my head I can think of: cancer, loss of home due to wildfire, brain tumor....in my circle of friends. I've heard them all blame these things for their stress at any given time.

I guess I don't see blame as being a negative thing. And I don't see anyone claiming that our stress is worse than anyone else's, just that there IS stress involved.

It's all semantics I suppose, and not important in the big picture. I guess I don't see blowing off steam and blaming diabetes as really a bad thing if it gets us through another day. If you allow the blame and stress to weigh you down to the point of being non functional or dangerous, there's a problem, but that's not what I'm hearing here. I'm simply hearing that people sometimes feel stressed and diabetes is at fault.

It IS at fault! Without diabetes would I have other stressors? Maybe, or maybe not. I know a lot more people who have fairly disease free lives than I know living with a chronic illness in a child that sucks away large amounts of the family finances and time. Do I sometimes wallow in it? Yes actually I do, but mostly here and alone. In public I smile and carry on, because my child needs me to.

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree. I guess for me the issue is with the original post. Not sure what is really the purpose or intent of the question being asked. It seems like a no brainer to me. Yes we all have stress and yes a lot of that stress comes from dealing with diabetes.

If it is just a vent thread then that is fine. I get that. Venting is good.