- advertisement -

Do You Correct Excitement Highs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Dec 31, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Or do you wait and see if they come down and correct at following meal? I know with adrenaline highs after exercise, I've learned not to correct..95% they come down on own..But I don't remember if it is the same with excitement highs or if that is the same as an adrenaline high?..If that makes sense...Yesterday we took the kids ice skating...It was my dd's first time..she took quite a few falls but had fun LOL.. Daniel had done it a few times before..They skated about an 1 1/2...not fast mind you, just slow and steady lol...we had early dinner and he was 256....I didn't correct... by bedtime check he was 126, so I'm glad I hadn't corrected....So I'm not sure if he was high because he skated, or was just having fun or maybe its one in the same?

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

Great question

I think the solution is going to be different for each kid and the amount of time until next meal. For our CWD we either correct with a bolus @ 50% of usual correction or run a temp basal for a while.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

What was he before he went skating? There are some activities that will bring my daughter down from a high, regardless of the reason. It's usually those slow, steady activities that do it.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I don't usually correct right away for excitement highs but they don't always come down on their own. I have learned that, for us, it is best to give it some time though.

The cold and slow, steady nature of kids' ice skating would have dropped Nathan like a ton of bricks though.

5. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I didn't check Daniel before ice skating...it was an hour or so after lunch that we started, he was 199...and before we started skating, I gave him a tube of gogurt for extra protein..., so it was about 4 1/2 hours after lunch he was checked...I didn't correct at dinner....but with regular dinner insulin he came down to the 121...He got his bedtime snack and levimir...at 2am he was 98...and at 8am he was 99...I just didn't know if being high from fun is the same adrenaline rush from exercise....I guess its best to wait for the most part on these events..

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

It could have been the Gogurt that added to the higher #, especially if he had just eaten lunch an hour before. If you are looking to add protein, a better snack would be a cheese stick, that has about 7g of protein vs. Gogurt that only has about 2g, I believe. :cwds:

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Without checking him before he skated you really can't determine if it was the adrenaline causing the high. If he was 199 at lunch and you gave him food before he skated, I agree with Christina that it could have been the food that made him go up, especially if he was high before he skated. It is also important to remember that with this disease there are no absolutes. No hard and fast rules. You can sometimes see trends but often they are not reliable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We do 1/2 correction for adrenaline high and then "watch" him carefully...

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

It depends on the kid, and the reason their excited, and if the stars are aligned ;)

For me, I'd say no. Excitement makes me go low, unless its like an exciting movie, then I go way high and crash hours later.

If I were you I'd leave the high alone once or twice then see what happens, if they stay high then start to correct the excitement highs

10. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I correct at 50% for excitement highs. That being said, I have to watch my son carefully after that. Sometimes he will pick an activity that causes him to drop and then will end up low. The problem we have is he doesn't have consistency with activity. One day skating will make him go high the next he crashes. Same time, same way not same reaction. Different for everyone I guess.

11. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Four years in, and we have never seen an excitement high. There's no way to tell if there was one in this situation or not.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Same here. If anything, activity and excitement bring her bg down.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We've seen highs from stress and lows from excitement - totally different animals in our son. Not sure what physiologically is going on to cause one or the other. I'm still trying to figure this one out, as sometimes there is stress coupled with excitement (different hormones, I think - one causing highs, then drops after, another causing lingering highs, I believe), and it causes havoc for us. In any case, fwiw, my son is very...how can I put this delicately???....ok, so...drama-queenish, I guess you can call it.:rolleyes: So, his emotions really do play a big part everyday on his BGs, and it's something I have had to learn to "decipher" over the years, but, alas, I still fail sometimes.

Anyway, with activity/excitement (aka "happy" moods), I would watch for lows, and probably just test more often and treat either by giving some slow carbs to curb the pending lows or by treating very conservatively with insulin any lingering highs (which normally shouldn't happen, but you know...). For "stress" highs, then those can linger a bit longer, so I would treat those normally.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012