- advertisement -

Do you always test bs before you give insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Java, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Java

Java Approved members

My son hates finger picks more than shots, he always ask me if i have to always test him before he gets a snack. I have always tested before he eats anything that requires insulin. I feel like I am always testing him.... Is there any way to cut back?

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If it hasn't been long since his last fastacting shot, like within an hour maybe 2. I don't bother testing him far a snack, the number isn't accurate anyway...

If he had been running around a lot I probably would though.

Also, if he's running around a lot I will just give him a snack w/o testing first. This comes with time/experiance at least for us:cwds:

3. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

I do always test DS before any food that requires insulin. Otherwise, I can't be sure that a small correction wasn't needed as well - or, as has been happening more recently! - that I need to lower the bolus a little as his BS is on the lower side of target. My son is 6, and his "hunger" and "low" signals tend to get mixed up a lot, so it's safer to test first.

I don't worry about a check if he's mainly eating protein (cheese string, almonds, etc.), so try to build at least a snack or two like that into each day. We do still wind up testing a good 8-10 times a day, though, and I don't feel that I can comfortably do fewer checks than that.

eta: that we're pumping now, so we have to do things a little differently than when we were on MDI!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree with Heather. If Maddie has eaten within the last 2 hrs and we checked bg then, before the first bolus, then there is nothing much to learn from testing again within that window. But obviously a lowish number going into the first bolus or bolusing after serious exercise or if she's having a fluky day, well then I would be a bit more cautious.

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

For the most part I don't check Nathan sooner than two hours since his last insulin. There are times though. For instance: If he is running highish or lowish that day I will want to see how the last bolus is working. Or if I wasn't sure of the carbs then I will check him if it has been an hour and a half or so. Exercise is another one. I'm sure there are more times, but I almost never check again before an hour and a half. There would be nothing I could do with that number, so why bother?

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If my son was tested when the past hour or sometimes 2 hours, he doesn't test before eating and getting more insulin.

This isn't best practices, but sometimes he forgets to test for many hours. He remembers to bolus.

If the finger pricks hurt, look into another lancing device. Many parents swear on the the Multiclick device from Accucheck.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We will skip a second test, withing an hour or two of a bolus based on bg, for example, dessert. However, Alex is quite unpredictable, so I often DO take a BG at 2 hours to catch lows. If it's high I won't base any calculations on it since the BG is still in flux from the meal.

Definitely recommend Multiclix. Alex vastly prefers it over all other pokers.

8. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I generally always check before giving insulin, just to see where we stand.. If I don't check I do at least look at the IOB.. But like some of the PP's said if it is very soon after checking and getting bolused, I often times just bolus for those extra carbs he is about to eat..