- advertisement -

Do you always recheck after a low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have gotten in the habit of NOT rechecking after a low as DD's BG always goes up with treatment of fast sugar. This morning after she woke with a low of 2.9 (52), I fed her 6-7 carbs in juice, waited 15 mins, gave her usual morning humalog, and let her eat usual breakfast 5 mins post insulin (we usual try to wait at least 10 to 15 mins, but today just 5 because of the low).

Anyway, with the 6 g treatment of juice and regular 30 carb breakfast I never thought to recheck to see if her BG went up before sending her off to school.

Now I am worried that she will still be low.... however my gut tells me that she should be fine with the tx and the breakfast (especially since I waited 15 mins after her juice before giving insulin and breakfast). But do you have a different opinion on this. What would you do if your child woke with a 2.9 (52)? Do you always recheck after low?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

With something below 60 I always recheck because it's unpredictable whether or not I will come up. Your diabetes may vary! If your daughter predictably rises every time after that much treatment, your method is probably fine. :)

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I tend to check her if she's below 60, only because she tends to have stubborn lows that don't like to come back up easily. But you know what your daughter's body does with what you gave her. That's how you know what to do.

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

We always recheck 20-30 minutes after a low because William has had days where he continues to go low after treatment. For him, I like to make sure his number is in range after a low before I give any meal time insulin. This is what works for us, but ydmv, so you may get differing answers.

5. lisac

lisac Approved members

I don't usually check. I know I should, but don't. I just treat the low and let her go. Lately her aternoon basal rate seems to be dropping her low all afternoon, so we test frequently, but I don't test again after 15 min....there was 1 night I did, but she was like below 50 with IOB (the messed up pasta night)....

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I got lazy about rechecks, but I'm getting back on board now because sometimes Bobby continues to drop or just stay low after treating.

99% of the time, 1st treatment does the trick...but it's that other 1% that has me picking up my game now on rechecks, but I've been bad about it for a while now. :eek:

7. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We normally don't recheck during the day. We go based on how ds feels. Before bed and in middle of the night, we recheck.

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

This is the same for us. During the day Vincent almost always comes back up. And if in 15 min he's not feeling better we will recheck and if he is still low treat again.

At night though we always recheck.

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

If Hana is really low, like under 50 then we would recheck to make sure it comes up enough. But if she is in the 60s, then generally,no we don't recheck. She can feel her lows and she can feel that she is coming back up so we don't usually have to recheck.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Probably not as often as I should:rolleyes: I will definitely if Steven tells me that he still feels low after 10 or 15 minutes.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

if we're not going to be eating a meal anytime soon, then yes I recheck. Although a couple days ago Ashleigh had a low (60) around 7pm and didn't recheck. I didn't realize it until I told her to check her sugar before bed (9pm). I questioned her about not checking, and she said she couldn't get any blood to come out of her finger:rolleyes:.

If it's a low right as we're getting ready to eat a meal, then no we don't recheck after she's done eating.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No, not for the average low.

Only if:

It's at night
    During/After extra physical activity
    She was below 60 ish
    She still feels low

13. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We always re-check:cwds:

14. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

This is what we do also

15. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Yes..I do..sometimes depending on the low Amanda will need 2 juice boxes etc..followed by the protein carb snack...(sigh)

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We have gotten away from rechecking every low. Whether we do depends mostly non how low the initial number was, how DD is feeling, and whether we'll be eating soon. There might be other variables -- can't think of them right now, though.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We always re-check except for if it is a low prior to a meal. Then, depending on the number/activity we will give her a small juice uncovered.

Otherwise, we need to always re-check.

18. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I always recheck anything under 60 during the day and anything under 70ish at night.

19. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We did for a long time - her only seizure from a low was due to NOT re-checking after we treated her. If I had, we would have known she was still low and the seizure wouldn't have happened.

But that was over 2 years ago and now we use Dexcom. As long as he shows that her BG is rising after treatment, we won't check again. If he continues to show low numbers, I will recheck.

20. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I am still in the habit of checking..if he hits a 40..it takes more than one box of juice to get him up....so I especially check those...