advertisement

Do I push dd(13) re family camp or not?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nebby3, Jan 8, 2016.

1. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Our family is planning to go to a church conference this summer. They like the teens to be housed separately from the adults and littler kids. DD will be 14, has had D 12 years and has the Dexcom with share. Honestly I think we could make her staying in the dorm with the other girls her age work but she is very hesitant. She is shy which I think works both ways because she'd be hesitant to tell her roommates and counselors what she needs but she'd also have a harder time making friends if she is already separated from the other kids by having to stay with us at night. I'm told that as one would expect the time in the dorms at the end of the day is a lot of the bonding time. And I do have my own hesitations as I'm sure there will be a lot of unpredictable activity and foods to account for. Last summer she stayed with her siblings at a resort for a family reunion and we were in another building. There was once Dexcom was alerting a low, her brother woke her up and told her to do something and then they both fell back asleep and nobody did anything. Fortunately her liver seems to have kicked in glucose and brought her up.

So what would you do if it were your teen? Try to have them be in the dorm or keep them with you at night?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I can't imagine a 14-year-old preferring to hang out with their parents over teens closer to their own age...

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How does she manage at school? Can you run some small degree of interference for her and bring the adults in charge of the kids up to speed a bit so that it isn't all on her?

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would make sure that you will get cell coverage at the camp and use a cell phone to text/call her for questions or concerns. You will be at the same camp and can go to her if need be? also I would make sure that the chaparone in chanrge knows what to look out for and get their number in case your dd does not respond. If your girl is truely wanting to be with you and not with her peers will staying with you interfear with what you want to gain from this retreat? maybe she does not attend with you?

5. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

I wouldn't push it. If she prefers to stay with you, so be it. If she starts to meet others during the week and decides to move, great.
    I can relate. My 14 year old daughter wouldn't want any part of it, and especially not being pushed into staying with complete strangers. She is exactly like I was, so I can double relate. My daughter wouldn't even consider D camp and I respect that. It's just not for her.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think I would encourage her to go with her peers. Now that she is 14, she will probably be encountering more situations like this. To make her feel more comfortable I would also have options open. The first would be to set it up so that she will be staying at the dorm, using Dex share, but have a space ready where you are staying in the event she just isn't ready to do it. The other option would be to have her hang as long as possible at the dorms then come over to you and sleep there.

Summer is a while away, but you most likely have to plan. I would offer her options with the stipulation she can change her mind.

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Thanks, everyone. Beach bum -- great advice. I will try to find out more about the counsellors in the dorms too. I have no idea if they are 18 themselves or older.