- advertisement -

DIY No-Alcohol Finger Wipes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Jun 12, 2013.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I do not like alcohol swabs, as they dry out the fingers. The BD Alcohol Swabs are not even sterile.

Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% can be used as an alternative to 70% isopropyl alcohol. Diabete-ezy diabetes cleansing wipes have a chlorhexidine gluconate 2% solution.

The Diabete-ezy wipes are expensive, as shipping from Australia is expensive, so I made my own wipes.

MATERIALS

* Hinged Cotton Round Holder (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10034869&N=&Ntt=cotton+round) ($1.49)

* CVS Premium Hypoallergenic Cotton Rounds, 100% Cotton (http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Premium-Hypoallergenic-Cotton-Rounds-100-Cotton?skuId=307275) ($3.59)

* 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate Skin Cleanser, 16 oz (http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-001-0258-Chlorhexidine-Solution/dp/B000HHSD8M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_30) ($8.93)

* Safeskin High Performance Purple Nitrile Exam Gloves (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/safeskin-high-performance-purple-nitrile-exam-gloves/ID=prod2651747-product) ($7.99)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Wash your hands, to remove contaminants

2. Wash the Hinged Cotton Round Holder with water and soap and dry.

3. Put on the SafeSkin High Performance Purple Nitrile Gloves.

4. Open the CVS Premium Hypoallergenic Cotton Rounds package, and take a cotton round.

5. Unscrew the top of the 2% chlorhexidine gluconate Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser.

6. Put a cotton round on top of the Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser bottle and turn the bottle upside down. Saturate the cotton round with the cleanser.

7. Put the cotton round in to the hinged cotton round holder.

8. Repeat steps 6. and 7. until the desired amount of swabs are in the hinged cotton round holder.

9. Remove gloves

10. Put the hinged cotton round holder in the blood glucose meter case.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Can you get hibiclens in a non-pink color? Because I'm just thinking that for a kid it would be a bit messy...

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thank you for mentioning this issue. I just updated the tutorial.

I actually received some clear 4% Chlorhexidine Gluconate Solution tonight, that works great. The solution is actually clear when put on to a cotton round.

I received the exact same solution, in the link in this particular post for "free" because I have a central line (dialysis catheter-for plasmapheresis, due to a rare autoimmune disease) that I was just sent supplies today for care. This particular bottle of 4% chlorhexidine gluconate (8 oz) does not have the yellow appearance as seen in the photos on Amazon.com.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

People use alcohol wipes? Chlorahexidine would be even more drying I would think. I wash my hands sometimes. More if the time I do nothing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I do not think it dries out skin. At least it does not dry out mine.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con091190.pdf

(From the equivalent of the US FDA in the UK)

I always clean my fingers. I never take the slim chance of getting a false reading. I also know that I have one of the most accurate meters out there because I have read studies comparing accuracy of various meters.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We use baby wipes when we're out .. they're easy to rip or cut into 4, to get many wipes, then lock them into a ziplock baggie...

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thank you, J.!

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

You mean licking your fingers doesn't sterilize them? ;)

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Don't get me wrong--I think it is neat that you came up with a way to make your own wipes--many people don't like the alcohol wipes and it is good to have some alternatives. Seems like you've come up with a handy way to make wipes like the Diabete-ezy ones (and I love the Container Store). But I don't believe that your wipes are going to be "sterile" -- washing a container with soap and water won't sterilize it and the gloves and cotton wipes are probably not sterile either--I think it will all be reasonably clean, though.

13. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

we really only use the alcohol swabs when we don't have access to soap and water. I also always have antibacterial stuff on me, which dries out the skin too but I don't think it does as bad as the wipes do.

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thank you for mentioning the sterility issue.

By definition, the wipes are not sterile.

I am going to get baby wipes and cut them in to 1/4 pieces, like kiwikid suggested. That seems way more practical.