- advertisement -

Disney with your Type 1 D child

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nicole N, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Hello all,
    I am a mother of an 8 year old with type 1 diabetes. Christian was diagnosed last May. We have been trying to plan a trip to Disney with very frustrating results. I have had 8 email exchanges with WDW (including their special diets team) with poor understanding of type 1 needs. They do not provide nutritional information for any of their foods! I am stunned.
    I am also confused as to how the Children with Diabetes - Friends for Life event can be held every year at Disney without this information??!!
    Can anyone shed any light?
    Thank you, thank you.
    Nicole

2. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I believe that for some reason they are able to provide it for the conference. Not sure how/why they do for that but don't any other time.

Anyway we did it years ago when dd was six. We took Calorie King (the book, now I'd use the App) and guesstimated, checked a ton, brought tons of supplies etc. It worked out just fine.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've been to Disney about 8 times since Emma was diagnosed. Calorie King is your friend. Just work with the general #s, don't be afraid to run him a little high because the exercise will bring him down, and don't stress over the highs and lows - just treat and move on to more fun.

I've seen 500s and 30s at Disney - all within the same couple of days! Still had a great time!

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Disney is not required to provide the information. We've been annual passholders at Disneyland for years, and made one trip to WDW post diagnosis. We just make the best guess and undercount a bit for all the walking.

We have a great time at both parks. We also use calorie king and guess as close as we can, then test more and correct later.

Have a wonderful trip.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When we attended FFL the food served during the conference was clearly carb counted. Disney parks however do not provide carb counts - so? It's no different from just plain old eating out. You bring the book or your smart phone or memory and estimate. It will be fine.:cwds:

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

It will be fine ... don't not go because you don't have the nutritional info. This goes for everything else in life. We promised our son a lunch at Cracker Barrel for a couple of days he decided on the Momma's Pancake Special with some cherry pie-filling looking topping. Cracker Barrel is an "up yours" restaurant for nutritional info so we guessed 120g Carbs and stayed below 200. That's a win. You can do that, too.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

You can request to speak with a chef, and they can tell you what the serving size is (from which you can use the Calorie King book to determine a carb count yourself.)

Good luck!

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

The FFL conference has carb counts because it is a catering menu that is planned with the chef.

The Disney chefs are generally marvelous with special diets (allergies and gluten-free, etc) so I don't complain that they can't give me a carb count.

Honestly - if you weigh out items WITH carb counts (prepackaged foods, etc) there are often some stunning inaccuracies with the labels - not that I'd recommend carrying a scale around typically.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

One reason we were given for not providing the carb counts from a VP of park services (think it was that or dining) is that in the parks Disney uses various suppliers and what you may have for chicken fingers at restaurant A may be different than restaurant B even on the same day and each supplier may have different nutrition info. Since they cannot be sure what supplier is supplying each restaurant when, they don't supply carb counts.

That being said, if you make your reservations (or even if you don't) and ask to speak to a chef, they will come out, discuss what is in the dish with you, let you know if things have extra sugar ect, and give you portion sizes so judging carbs are not too bad.

When we did our wedding at Disney, they had carb counts for the catered reception, but again that was catered.

Also I would say that you may want to be careful with correcting highs at Disney, as you may be seeing adrenalin highs from excitement and those can be easy to over correct.

10. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We have been twice now. We just handle it like any other time we eat out. I don't truly trust restaurants carb info anyway. We usually have to deal with lows at Disney from the activity and the excitement anyway.

11. minniem

minniem Approved members

We are planning on going this year and we are just planning on guessing the carb counts like when we go out to eat here at home. I am hoping all the walking will keep him a little more in the normal range, since he often goes high when we go out and eat a lot.

Just go, have fun and test, test, test a lot! :cwds:

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

The last thing you want to do is have it noted on your ADRs with Disney Dining that your child has type 1. You'll get nothing but fruit. ;)

13. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

LOL, that can happen, but when we ate at Be Our Guest, the chef came out and talked to us and they made our daughter FRESH and I do mean fresh raspberry sorbet for desert. That is not to say that someone else came out about 5 minutes later with a fruit bowl.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

well that was lovely, but what if you were trying to order a birthday cupcake for your child...... ;)

(by the way - did you try the grey stuff? was it delicious?)

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree with this. You can always talk to the chef when you get there - but be advised that MOST of them are used to handling requests from those with type 2 and will steer you all sugar free or just in some direction that makes no sense.

I actually had a terrible experience at Chef Mickey's once (many years ago now). William has severe nut allergies so he couldn't have anything at the dessert buffet but the soft serve ice cream (and he didn't like ice cream at the time - he was a toddler). The chef flat out refused to make him anything - advising me that he should not be eating any sort of dessert what-so-ever and he was shocked I'd even be asking. The rest of us literally walked around the restaurant eating dessert so William couldn't see - and we got him something outside. He was too little to really notice fortunately.

Had this not been our first trip with him after diagnosis .... well let's just say if that happened now - as rude as that chef was (not just ignorant - but rude and nasty) - I'd probably have ended up in Disney jail.:p

Even with type 1 noted on our reservations I never had any chef remotely act like that with me at Disney - most of them are beyond wonderful.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

and the thing is, noting type 1 isn't going to get you the info you need. You still will not get carb counts on the foods. Even if they put a "diabetic friendly desert" in front of you , you're still not going to know the carbs in that food.

So your best option is to come armed the way you would for any other dinner out at a restaurant: Calorie king book and smartphone apps.

17. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

To all,
    Thank you so much for all the info. I didn't expect so many responses in such a short time. :)
    I'm afraid we are not very good at estimating carbs. I think it will take me years to do that. We will come armed with the Calorie King app and do the best we can I guess.
    Nicole

18. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I always bring a small scale when we go out, and can weigh things like bread and mashed potatoes.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...8&qid=1361302844&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+scale

I think this is the one we have, it looks like it anyway. You can't balance big plates, but we'll put a cup on the scale, then the plate on the cup. It looks unbalanced, but you only need to hold it steady for a second to get the weight.

19. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It just takes practice. :) If your kid is anything like mine, he eats the same thing over and over at places like Disney - hot dogs, chicken strips, fries, slice of pizza, etc. Most of those things are pretty easy to guess at. Hot dog buns are 20-25. A "normal" chicken strip is 8-9. Pizza varies by size and crust, but I always mentally compare the slices to a slice of Chuck E Cheese pizza (which I know is almost uniformly 15 carbs -they're thin and cut fairly small) and go from there. I know that a "handful" of restaurant fries are about 20 carbs, so I make mental handfuls of what is on his plate and go from there.

If your kid is a pretty consistent eater, start practicing now estimating carbs in things that he is likely to eat there, and you'll get good at it pretty quick. It used to stress me out a lot, but I'm amazed at how much better I've become with practice. Have fun on your trip! :)

20. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Yes it was! We even asked the dishes!

On a side note, that is probably the best Disney dining experience we have ever had, and I think we have eaten at most park restaurants now.

On the T1D note on the reservation, the one nice thing we have found is that usually our table is ready on time. If you have never done sit down dining at Disney, you should probably know that they do not always run close to your reservation time.