- advertisement -

Disney trip and travels with the pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Just back from a fantastic Disney vacation/cruise and wanted to let everyone know that ds rode Rockin' Rollercoaster and Mission Space with his pod on and had no problems whatsoever. I know there had been some discussion about whether pumps could/should be disconnected on certain rides--and discussion on how the pods can't be removed--so we decided to test it out.

First, let me say that we had NO problems going through security in Dallas or in Orlando. Ds went through the old metal detectors in both airports (and also through them for customs when we cruised to the Bahamas) and none alarmed. His pod was on his arm both times. I sent his insulin through the xray machine and they did open the bag in Orlando, but it was no big deal.

Disney was great! I kept site change supplies and insulin at the first aid station in each park and did have to visit there once for a site change. In the June heat, the nice cool room in first aid was a welcome relief! The nurses there were wonderful and simply asked if I needed anything. I picked up all his stuff at the end of the night when we were leaving the park.

Ds rode everything, ate like a horse, and never had a bad number (well, until we got home and he was 32 in Walmart, but that's another post!).
    We guesstimated carbs as best we could, kept the water bottles filled, and covered all four parks.

After Disney, we cruised for four days with Royal Caribbean to the Bahamas. RC was very accomodating and put a fridge in our stateroom for the insulin. All the kids wanted to do the kids club activities at night on the ship, so I handed them ds's pdm and fruit snacks, gave him instructions to check in an hour and left him to play with the other kids. What a GREAT experience! He had a blast! I did go back to check on him after about two hours, and once he had felt low, checked, and treated, but had not had a chance to recheck yet. When he rechecked, he was still only 70--too low for me to comfortably leave him--so the cruise staff offered him some jelly beans to help him come up a little more. It was a great experience for all of us.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone else was travelling soon and had questions that I could answer! Thanks for reading!:)

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope to one day return to Disney and I like to read all the stories of people who have done it having a CWD.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Congratulations on managing everything so well! Glad you all had fun!

4. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

So glad to hear this! It is so important to share positive stories like this! Thank you.

And here is our adventure (also positive):) We just got home from a 10 day road trip to Orlando (Universal and Disney World, Kennedy Space Center and various points of interest along the route). No pod or t1d problems for us either. It was a fantastic trip and I feel so confident in our ability to go/do anything and not allow t1d to hold us back now. It was a huge moral booster for my son as well. Our 3 rd day there, Josh said that he felt like a regular kid at disney world. Not a kid with diabetes...Music to my ears!

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thanks, everyone! I had just tried to find any posts about riding rides with the pod and found only questions, so I wanted to put our story out there for anyone else looking for info.

5kids, so glad you also had a good trip! I had to laugh when the nurse at Animal Kingdom remembered us with our five kids from Epcot the day before! Lol.