- advertisement -

Disney in July...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Jun 19, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We are all set to go on our Disney/Universal/Sanibel/Cocoa Beach vacation... and I read an old thread about Disney here.. and now I am getting really nervous... Ugh!! I know it will be roasting hot, and I am so nervous that Vince is going to get sick... I'm totally stressing... Are there more threads around here or somewhere on the net I should be reading to prepare better for this trip? :eek:

Thanks everyone.

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. Traci

Traci Approved members

Lots of threads, but we've done Disney several times and never had an issue. All the walking counter-acts all the Mickey Bars!;). Seriously, pack twice the supplies you think you'll need, can't remember if you are pumping or not, but we left extra supplies at first aid this time (never done that before) and it worked great--didn't have to carry insulin with us. Check often and just enjoy yourself! I'm sure you'll have a blast!

5. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We went in July and dear Lord it was HOT. This won't be much help but...we did try to visit parks that had more shade and indoor rides during the hottest part of the day (Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios...I think) and the sunniest parks in the early morning and late evening. We always rested and ate during the hottest parts of the day. Check out the hourly forecast for Disney World on weather.com each morning before you head out to help you plan.

6. 22jules

22jules Approved members

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Maybe but this is what made me think that:

8. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

DO you know you can get a medical pass to the front of the line! check in with customer service. I havn't used it myself, but I understand it designed to help limit the waiting in long lines and blood sugar problems. Maybe like those in wheel chairs that wait at the front and get squeezed in with the next group.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's hot, but it's not unbearable - and too there are those pop up afternoon showers. ;) Just keep him hydrated and check often. There are sites that can help you plan a smarter Disney trip, i.e., when to fast pass, how to pace and time your visit, this is one, http://allears.net/index.html

I probably wouldn't try to get the Guest Assistance Pass for a big teen - we did when DD was 9 but probably wouldn't now that she's older. If you can get the teens up, everyone says it's best to go first thing in the morning. Good luck.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks, everyone...

Sometimes Vince just feels really crappy when it is so hot the heat just really gets to him ... gets overheated quickly...that is what I meant by "sick."

We will definitely hydrate and test alot.

Thank you!

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

This is a misperception of the Guest Assistance Card. The card doesn't allow you to go to the front of the line except in very rare circumstances (like for Make a Wish kids). A wheelchair doesn't allow FOTL access either at WDW as most of the ques are mainstreamed for wheelchair users.

When the FFL conference is held at Disney in July (every other year) they have cast members onsite to assist people in getting a GAC. There is a good article dealing with it here at CWD - let me see if I can find it. Here is one: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/2006-03/d_0d_dqa.htm

Universal is a bit more problematic as they don't allow you to carry bags onto many of the rides. You need to leave a lot of your stuff in a locker at the ride entrance (there is a lock) or stuff your pockets (make sure you have good pockets that the stuff can't fall out!). Universal also has a version of a GAC in which you go to the ride and they write down a return time for you on a special paper they give you. This can mean a lot of backtracking but it can be helpful for some of their more busy rides.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  12. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

See other inserts in red and keep in mind this is our experience with living and going all the time for 16 years. Someone else may have other experiences. Because sometimes we have run into problems, but the supervisors do listen and try to help. Early is best for the Universal side, Islands side varies. Also best days for the parks are Sunday or Monday. We also try to time water rides for the heat of the day. Oh, we also use a frogg tongs chilly pad towel. You wet it and it gets cold and helps keep my daughter cooler.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I talked with the mom of the other boy with T1 in our school a couple of years ago...and I know she mentioned that they did Disney and were given some sort of front of the line consideration without paying. Perhaps it was not the GAC...I think she said she had to provide all sorts of doctor's notes before they went to prove that their son goes very low in the heat.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

Hard to say - but we go to Disney every year (if not multiple times a year) and for the GAC they are not allowed to ask for doctor's notes - and typically don't want to read them. They just want to know what your needs are. Legally they can't ask you to prove those needs for a GAC - but you do have to bring the person with needs with you. You could write a letter explaining your needs if you don't want to say it all out loud (some people don't want to discuss it with other people around or their kid hearing, etc).

The only FOTL pass I've heard (not seen) was for Make a Wish kids. Of course you never know! I'm sure a GAC with certain wording could almost seem like a FOTL pass if the person was routed through the Fast Pass line.

I don't know Universal very well at all - just been there once. I think I kept most of William's supplies with me in my pocket (or maybe a small fanny pack under my shirt (my shirt wasn't tucked in - in other words). We didn't use the lockers. My DH was with us and doesn't ride the bigger rides so he sometimes went with us through the que and took the last minute exit and carried the bulk of our bags with him this way.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'll have to ask her again what they did. Disney is in our near future as well..but certainly not in July!!! Probably November, and not sure it's all that hot there then.:confused:

16. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

We recently used a guest assistance pass at Disney. I wasn't going to do it, until some teenage kids jumped over a railing in line and bumped into me while I was trying to check Ryan. His PDM almost flew right out of my hand and I had to catch his Multiclix in the air. I thought, if I lose this stuff, it's over. We have to leave and his day is over. At that point, I decided to do ahead and ask. They were very accommodating. You don't have to give them any kind of documentation. On some rides, we were taken directly to the front of the line. On others, we waited in the fast pass line. Also, I never told Ryan why we had the pass. I just told him that Mommy rocks and I got it for us. :)

I live in Orlando and I try to stay away from the parks in the heat of summer. It will be very hot! Just plan on taking your time, and heading inside if you need to...and of course, make sure he is drinking lots of water!

I hope you have a GREAT visit!

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Made me smile.. I bet you got some brownie points for that one!

18. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

We are doing disney in July as well. Our son is 3 and doesnt show symptoms with lows or highs so I am trying to do as much research as possible for the trip. We are staying at a disney resort so we plan on getting to parks first thing in the morning, going back to the resort for lunch/naps and cool down time and then heading back to the park around 3 or 4 to do everything else. I will be keeping extra supplies/insulin at the first aid station and have an emergency bag on me at all times. I also plan on getting the guest assistance card to keep him out of the sun and in shade while waiting in line for rides. Keep them hydrated!!!! I think that is going to be the main thing to help numbers stay stable. We are taking MANY packets of sugar free hawaiian punch/kool aid to add to water, so he isnt drinking diet soda in the parks. This is our first vacation since he was dx back in september. We will be checking often thats for sure!

19. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Oh, on another note! It rains pretty much every single day during the summer here, so it would be a good idea to bring some of those rain poncho-type things with you. If you buy them at Disney, they will be $$$!

20. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Do you need a separate GAC for each park or day? Or is the one you get on the first day good for all of the days & parks for the length of the trip? Like if we spent the morning in one park and then park-hop to a different park for the afternoon, would we have to get a new GAC for that park? I hope I'm making sense.

We personally have a very hard time managing blood sugars in amusement parks. We are either treating low after low or going potty all the time from letting her run high. It's hard. I know it isn't hard for everyone, but I don't think we'd have a very good time without a GAC. I won't use it if we don't need it, but will have it in hand just in case...expecially since I highly suspect that we'll need it. :)