- advertisement -

Disney dining, do you really need to tell them?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Sep 21, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Right, but my CWD is one of those who needs to eat a mix of carbs and protein after the fast acting carbs bring her up, in order to stay in range. The longer we try to treat with JUST fast acting carbs, the deeper the lows and the faster the drops. I have no idea why, I just know it is a consistent pattern. YDMV, I guess!

Usually it is not a problem...I just keep snacks in the car and get them if we need them. But at amusement parks I like to keep everything we need WITH us and the snacks typically get crumbled/crushed beyond anything edible. And we struggle with blood sugar levels at amusement parks, anyway. She typically runs low, but if we cut back on her insulin at all, then she runs REALLY high and has to go potty roughly every 45 minutes--no joke. I have no idea what a Disney trip with multiple days in a row in amusement parks will be like...but I refuse to let D keep us from our "normal" life, so we will find out! We will just do a lot of playing by ear. You never know...maybe multiple days are what we need to figure out how to overcome some of these issues!

ETA: At meal times in particular, this would be complicated by the fact that she goes low if her meals are late. I know this should be a sign that the Lantus is too high, but if we decrease it, she runs high through the night. I dunno. We'll just see what happens and treat and move on! :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We have made trips to Disney with and without the dining plan. We've never felt the need to disclose that DD has D and have not had a problem counting carbs.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Understood. Has it been like that for the past 2 years? Have you talked to the Endo at all about these patterns? Have you thought about maybe trying Levemir instead of Lantus?

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've been at Disney and while waiting knew we needed a little something extra. They were great and got us crackers and juice ASAP for her to have while we were waiting.

5. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We have done Disney many times both ways. One advantage is that chefs were very very good about getting me portion sizes (and making sure our daughters plate adhered to them) so it was easier to guess on carbs. They have also told us some dishes that would run higher than normal due to adding sugar ect that you would not normally think of. I have never once had them refuse our daughter anything we ordered, nor would that go over well if they did.

Its up to you, but I don't usually put it on our reservation, just mention it to the host and they send a chef out to talk to us, seems to go better then getting it into the system and having someone tell us what we can order.

Now at EPCOT, all bets are off in the world showcase as you are usually dealing with a language barrier too.

6. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

:) Yes, yes, and yes.

We don't have an endo, really...just a diabetologist (pediatrician with extra diabetes training) and a D team. I have a lot of questions they can't answer. They mostly tell me that's just life with D and that it's good to take a step back and look at the big picture and not try to look at all the numbers. It's Kaiser, and this is the only team I have access to with insurance, so I haven't been able to get a second opinion on anything. They have been great with the basics and they are fabulous moral support. But, if I had the money/opportunity, I'd at least get a second opinion on some things. I get the feeling that the current team feels that I should just check less, and then I wouldn't "see" all of this stuff, and then I would feel better. But, they DID approve my request for an Rx for an increase in strips from 4xs/day to 8-10xs/day, so on some level they do support it.

I also asked about Levemir awhile back. I heard that it stings less, and also, we were thinking of moving overseas near DH's family and Levemir is easier to access than Lantus over there, so I thought to switch here, so it would be easier for us if we DID move over there. We were told that Kaiser does not carry/cover Levemir, so it's not an option for us, along with Omnipod, CGM, Verio IQ meter, etc. The team would be fine with these treatment options, but they are locked into what Kaiser insurance will allow. They hold all the cards as far as who we get to see and what treatment options we get to try. :mad:

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is very scary.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

It's been several years since we went but I did not mention it. They don't provide carb counts, I didn't want them to make her anything special so I didn't see the point at all. We used Calorie King and guesstimating and it worked just fine.

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree -- I wouldn't tell them about a T1D dining there. (It'll slow things down as a chef has to come out, only to tell you they don't do carb counts. Unless you have problems judging portion sizes -- there they can help you!)

If, however, you have a Celiac diagnosis to go along with the T1D, definitely tell them about that in your reservation, and mention it again at check-in so a chef knows to come out. We've had terrific Gluten-free meals at Disney! And the chefs are wonderful at telling you what they have, what they can prepare, and what they would avoid for cross-contamination issues. I've even had them offer/make a specialty item for us, just because we showed an interest in an item.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have never in the 12 years with diabetes told Disney about it . We used to go every year. I always told them about the food allergy though.

11. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I did not read all the responses, but, we were there in July and did not find any reason to mention the fact that he had T1D... (okay, so, I forgot pen needles and had to run out of the restaurant to first aid to locate a syringe -- and that was our FIRST night there:eek: ). My son ate everything include a wonderful chocolate sundae with choc ice cream, choc sauce and whip cream!