- advertisement -

Discrimination in preschool program ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Okay, I have a question. Does a preschool program that is through the school district and incorporates the ISD guidelines have to abide by same laws and policies as a child enrolled in a actual ISD school? I have been trying to get my younges son, Ethan, into a preschool program that would be twice a week. But, now they are telling me that the school nurse doesn't tend to those children enrolled in the program, unless they get hurt. They told me that that school nurse could not be responsible for him. I asked if I can teach the caregivers there how to take care of him (check his sugar etc.) then I was told it is more involved than that and there are a lot of regulations in the district about diabetic children. And they were going to check to see if my son could even be in the program. So I have no idea if I can go to them with the regulations that are set for schools or now because this is a pre-k program. Thank you so much for listening!

2. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I'm pretty sure it would be covered.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If they receive any federal funding, the yes, they have to follow the guidlines.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes - if they receive federal funds they are obligated to provide care as I understand it. If they just "rent the building" to use as a preschool it could be different.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, they have to provide care for your child.

I think the easiest way to get them to do SOMETHING is to request a 504 in writing for your son.

7. MySweethearts

Ya'll are the best! thank you all!!!!

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/parents-and-kids/diabetes-care-at-school/legal-protections/americans-with-disabilities.html

"The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discriminations against qualified individuals with disabilities. All public and private schools, preschools, day care centers, and camps except those run by religious institutions are covered by the ADA. The school must not discriminate against a child with a disability and is required to make reasonable changes in its practices and policies to avoid discrimination and to afford children with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate unless doing so would impose an undue burden."

Check out the full link for additional information. Even if your child does not have a 504 Plan, she is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. You may need a note from her physician to verify that she, indeed, has a disability (type-1 diabetes). I can send attach a sample letter if you'd like.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to contact the American Diabetes Association for legal assistance at 1-800-DIABETES. They have lawyers available to answer your calls. I went through this process to get discrimination assistance for my son, and I am thrilled to report that his diabetes care is a true success story.

9. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Good info here, I hope you are able to get your child into this program. You are breaking new ground and making this process easier for all the kids with challenges that come behind you! You go girl!

10. MySweethearts

Amy, thank you so much..you are a great example! Thank you Patricia!

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You're welcome! One of these days I'll share our story here. You'd be shocked at how bad things were and how far we've come. Since we have now moved out of state, I'm not as fearful of retaliation. Sad, huh?

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, they have to accept your child into the program. They are a public program and are covered under the American with Disabilities Act. They cannot deny access to your son just because he has diabetes.