- advertisement -

disconnected pump - sanitize?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jul 17, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Medtronic was able to come out today to let my daughter trial the pump. She is currently at a swim class, so she disconnected the pump and handed it to me. Fine. But I'm holding it in a way so the needle doesn't touch anything. I wish I had brought a zip lock bag or something. After disconnecting, should you wipe it with alcohol or something before reconnecting? Or am I being overly paranoid?

Sorry for typos - typing on a kindle

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

In 7 years of pumping, we have never done that. I do keep it in a ziplock or pump pouch to protect it from getting bumped or wet.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

:p nope, not once in the past 8 years did that ever even cross my mind - and fwiw she's never had an infected site :cwds:

4. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I would just tear open an alcohol wipe foil packet and stick the end inside and fold the packet around it. I never felt comfortable just having the needle exposed.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I assume it was a sure t site??? We sometimes keep the little plastic pieces that it comes with. There are two pieces you take off before insertion (these two pieces will lock together too). You can stick one half back on to protect the needle while its disconnected and other half will stick into the site part too, if you want(you don't have to). It's hard to explain it. I wish I could show you.

The wipe package is a great idea too! :)

6. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

What kind of infusion set are you using? My ds uses a mm pump part time and has used a few different infusion sets but I don't recall an exposed needle on any of them. He swims almost daily year round and rarely uses the little plastic cover for the part of the set that stays on his body. He just sticks his pump in his swim bag. I would love it if he would put it in a baggy or do the alcohol wrapper trick but fat chance I will get compliance on either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  7. mamattorney

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I was trying to type on a tablet and it kept autocorrecting everything, so I made my question as short as possible.

It wasn't the part that is on her body I was worried about; he (the medtronic rep) didn't give us the cap to put in the site, but she was in a swimming pool, so that was no problem.

I was talking about the end that remains with the pump. She disconnected and handed me the pump with the attached tubing. At the end of the tubing is a plastic piece that has a little metal needle that goes inside the cannula when connected up. I wrapped the tubing around the pump and I was going to put it into my purse, but I didn't want that metal needle to get yucky from whatever happens to be at the bottom of my bag. Instead, I just held it carefully on my lap so the metal part didn't touch anything else.

It's a silhouette infusion set, but I imagine most others look like that.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nope. Never worried about it.

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The sure t sites have a needle exposed on the tubing side when you disconnect, but quick sets don't. I am not sure if I was clear so I will try to explain again.

Is there a plastic piece that is protecting the site needle on the tubing side, which you must remove before you connect the site to the body? With sure t there is. (I've never used silhouettes so I don't know how they work.) We save one or two of them to have around to be able to replace it when he is disconnected. (If you still have no idea what I am talking about, there is a video on their website that shows how to put in a sure t site that should help.) Or your infusion sets might come with something in the box to protect the tubing end while disconnected.

I am always afraid the needle will catch on something and get bent, rendering it useless. So I like to keep that part protected. I'm with ya on that one. I wouldn't stick it in my purse either.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I have never thought of that. I just throw it in my purse generally or her bag. If it's going to be a while and I've planned ahead, I will put it in a baggie. I always put the CGM and Sensor in a baggie when not in use and then our supply box as I'm afraid of them getting lost/damaged.

11. mamattorney

I just looked online at what a SureT set looks like - they look exactly the same/very similar as the Silhouette at the connection point - that little steel needle in the center of the plastic clip.

I'm glad that it seems as though it doesn't matter; I'll probably keep a zip lock bag in my purse, but won't worry about it if my daughter or I are caught without one.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, SureTs and Silhouettes have the same tubing.