- advertisement -

Dinners from around the world

Discussion in 'Recipe Exchange' started by musicjunkie, Dec 7, 2008.

1. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

I'm always trying to get my kids to eat new things.So we came up with an idea.Once a month we pick a different country and make something of ethnic origin from that place.
    We let Hannah go first and she picked Switzerland.After a little google searching,she chose Rippli,(which is a rib recipe) and Apfelkuchlein(which is deep fried apples).
    The Rippli was really good but we had a problem with the fried apples:( Has anyone ever made this and can they maybe give me a few pointers?The mix didn't stick to the apple:(

Also,it was Jimmys turn to choose next and he chose The Netherlands...any recipe ideas that are simple...Betty Crocker Iam not:p

2. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Well, I am so proud of your daughter for picking Switzerland!! :). I personally have never made Apfelkuechli as I don't have a deep frier but the fried recipes can be a bit tricky. Maybe Caro has made this before?

3. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

No recipes but think it is a great idea.

4. musicjunkie

We're gonna try again,the oil was too hot:eek:but not til we've all made our rounds with other countries...was just curious if anybody had a tried and tested recipe from the Netherlands,Stuff 'looks' yummy on the internet but go to make it:rolleyes:

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Nothing against the Netherland people, but when we were vacationing there, it was a choice between
    1) frozen stuff to deep fry:eek:
    or
    2) fish

So, maybe a fish dish? I'll scout the net for you and see what I come up with.

If you need anything Luxy or Portuguesy, let me know;)

ETA - some Dutch recipes, click on each:

http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com/recipes.shtml

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. musicjunkie

I can do fish,my kids will be forced to take a bite and then not like it,but Derick and I like fish:D I didn't realise Dutch,Netherlands,Holland was all 'the same' destination of sorts:eek:
    Okay,I'm off to look at some of these recipes from your link:)

7. withyou

withyou Approved members

deep fried apples sound real yummy! but also sounds like a hassle?

8. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

on the fried apples to get the coating to stick to the apples... first dust them with flour...the reason the batter is not sticking is that the apples are too wet, the flour should take care of that and not change the recipe...also oil shuld be a 350 for frying I believe and have a thermometer will be helpful.