- advertisement -

Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead!! HSP shut down!

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by KatieJane'smom, Aug 13, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Many of you are familiar with Heaven Scent Paws as several members here were scammed by them and were in a court battle involving the Missouri Attorney General. After 4 long years for us it's finally over and Michele will never be able to do this to another CWD family ever again!

It is ordered, adjudged and decreed by this court that Heaven Scent Paws, Inc., Michele Reinkemeyer, their officers, assigns, successors in interes, and persons, contractors, representatives or current and future employees acting on their behalf or at their direction who receive actual notice of this order, are permanently enjoined, restrained and prohibited from the following: Engaging in any activity related to diabetic alert service dogs. Making any claim to ownership or possession of dogs currently residing with consumers who raised money and participated in Defendants' training program and filed a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General's Office. It is further ordered that Defendant's Heaven Scent Paws, Inc and Michele Reinkemeyer are jointly and severally liable for and shall pay or cause payment to be made in the sum of $192,216.56 to the State of Missouri to the credit of the Merchandising Practices Restitution Fund as restitution for consumers who raised money and participated in Defendants' training program and filed a complain with the Missouri Attorney General's Office. A list of such consumers is attached hereto as Exhibit A and is incorporated by reference herein. It is further ordered that Defendant's Heaven Scent Paws, Inc and Michele Reinkemeyer are jointly and severally liable for and shall pay or cause payment to be made in the sum of $5,000.00 to the State of Missouri to the credit of the Merchandising Practices Revolving Fund for attorneys fees and costs incurred by the Attorney General in the investigation and enforcement of the Merchandising Practices Act, and to provide funds for consumer education and advocacy programs. It is further ordered that Defendant's Heaven Scent Paws, Inc and Michele Reinkemeyer are jointly and severally liable for and shall pay or cause payment to be made in the sum of $10,000.00 as a civil penalty payable to the State of Missouri to the state treasurer for distribution to the public schools as required by Article IX, Section 7 of the Missouri Constitution. It is further ordered that collection of the $10,000.00 civil penalty is suspended by the Attorney General subject to future compliance with the terms of this Consent Judgment and Permanent Injunction. In the event that either Defendant is adjudged to be in violation of this Consent Judgment and Permanent Injunction, the suspension of the civil penalty shall be lifted and that Defendant shall be liable for payment in full of the civil penalty amount set forth in paragraph 19. It is further ordered that in seeking to collect this judgment the State, pursuant to Missouri law, shall forego execution on Michele Reinkemeyer's primary residence while such property is owned as tenants by the entries with Luke Reinkemeyer. The State shall also forego execution on any future primary residence of Michele Reinkemeyer, while such property is owned as tenants by the entireties with Luke Reinkemeyer.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Wow, wish I had your fortitude and follow through. I don't know much about this except what I've gleaned here and there, but it looks like a job well done from here.:cwds:

3. Dancerwithadog

Dancerwithadog Approved members

So glad thayt justice was finally brought for all my friends who rightfully deserved it!! I'm so glad KJ, Brynn, Abi, and many others can put this behind them! :)

4. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I cried when I read it! I wonder if we are going to get a call or what is going to happen? I doubt we are getting any of our money back (wish we were it could pay all of my grad school) but at least now I legally own Oliver!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I think this woman needs to make full restitution to anyone that she has wronged. Im glad that you all won and that she will be punished.

6. maliasmama

maliasmama Approved members

yay!!! so happy for you all!

so happy for all of you that got the bunk from michelle. you all saved my family the same grief and we now have and awesome alerting dog :) i do pray you will get your $$$ back someday. she def needs to make it happen. i do have a Q though. did she move her "business" to texas? i found this search site that labeled her address as texas! maybe you can hunt her down and get your $$$ K! iknow that $$$ would help so many of you! good luck! yay!!!!:D

7. KatieJane'smom

Oh, I hope not! Can you send me the address or info. that you found? Some of us got to be pretty good super-sleuths through this process. The Mo. AG banned her from having anything to do with service dogs but I don't know what would stop her from moving and changing the name. She's a wily one, that's for sure. She fooled ALOT of intelligent folks.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Their web site is still up.

EDIT: Addresses on the web page is still Missouri.

9. KatieJane'smom

10. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I knew it was a big story when it made national news! :D

11. KatieJane'smom

Can you post the link? I wonder if CNN will do a follow-up on the lemonade stand story.

12. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

13. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Photos of the house make it look like they're moving already!

14. Its Me

Its Me New Member

A VERY similar story...

On August 4, 2010 complaints were heard in Randall County Texas, Precinct 1, small claims court against defendants Ann and Oscar Pulliam d/b/a/ Betheden Kennels. The defendants requested a jury trial. Testimony and evidence was presented to the 6 member jury. Plaintiffs prevailed and monetary damages were awarded. Defendants chose not appeal the decision but have communicated their intent, through their attorney, to avoid satisfying the judgment. In writing they have refused "to pay a dime"; stated they will move back to Texas to qualify their property there as their "homestead"; and have threatened to file bankruptcy if action is taken by plaintiffs to collect the judgment. More cases against the defendant have been filed in small claims court. Complaints have also been filed with the Oklahoma Attorney General.

On a separate note, a decision has been entered in favor of plaintiffs in the case of State of Missouri -vs- Heaven Scent Paws, Inc. Complaints in that case are strikingly similar to complaints heard and upheld by the Texas jury against Betheden Kennels. Indeed, in testimony in the small claims case against Betheden Kennels, a witness quoted Ann Pulliam as stating that Michelle Rinkemeyer - the owner of Heaven Scent Paws - had the right idea about how to train and sell diabetic alert dogs much more quickly than other kennels.

Original court filing against Heaven Scent Paws can be found at:
    https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  15. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Ok so I had never heard of these people or this company until I read this thread. I just googled and read up on it. Wow. Why is there always someone out there willing to take advantage of people who are already hurting? How awful.

16. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

The sad thing is that this woman has 3 of her own children with Type 1 D. Her business seemed to start out legit, I don't know what happened for it to get to this state.

17. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

The success stories on her page are they legit???
    I can't believe someone would do something like this! Still I'm GLAD that she can no longer have anything to do with service dogs!

18. KatieJane'smom

I don't know about ALL 20 of the stories but I do know that 4 of those dogs had to go to someone else to be trained. 3 were taken or given back or they had to get rid of the dog due to aggression issues, behavior, etc. and 4 of them just simply don't work at all and are just expensive pets now.