- advertisement -

Diluted insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lovemyboys, Oct 7, 2010.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

We used diluted insulin for 6 months then switched to a pump. Our compounding pharmacy did it for us and it seems like the instructions on it say it can be kept for something like 28 days (like around a month).

Once we started the pump the increments were small enough that we didn't need to use diluted in it. We never had any particular problem with diluted but pumping is SO much better - much smaller precise doses and since the pump is in all the time you can give a bit, then a bit more 30 mins later if you need to (to allow for grazing or change of mind with a little one).

2. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Yes, it was Novolog. The numbers would creep up and the insulin just seemed to have lost potency. It wouldn't do the job it used to do during the first 2 weeks (higher after-meal numbers and corrections that wouldn't work well).

Diluting your own insulin sounds like a good idea, you could dilute smaller amounts every week or every other week. Our CDE was categorically against it (us diluting ourselves), and I thought it wasn't worth pushing it.

3. timkris724

timkris724 Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 14 months. He never honeymooned so diluting the insulin was never needed but I did want to tell you that we went right to a pump within 3 months. It was great for his age and insulin amounts. We do about 8-9 units per day total, but will regularly give boluses of .3, .5, ect.. for snacks.

4. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

We were told that only Humalog can be diluted, so it's interesting to hear that some of you used Novolog... Our CDE told us that NovoNordisk doesn't make a diluent solution for Novolog :confused:

Our pharmacy ordered diluent directly from the manufacturer (Eli Lily I think). They ordered 30 vials and gave them to us no charge. I got a script from the endo for the Humalog. Diluting was easy: you draw up 100u (big syringe) of the diluent and discard it. Then draw up 100u of full strength Humalog and squirt it into the diluent bottle. Gently swirl and you're done. It really wasn't a big deal.

5. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Interesting! I wonder if that's why Novolog would go bad early???? I thought it was just diluted in normal saline. I'm definitely going to research this - we might need to switch to Humalog.

6. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Maybe. We ended up switching to Humalog just for that purpose. Now that we're pumping, we're back to Novolog.

I second the opinions that a pump is a better solution for giving very small doses, but getting that process started can sometimes take quite a while. If you're going to take that route, doing diluted in the meantime will really help.

7. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

We were told exactly the same thing. And also that only one pharmacy in our city would do it (Ottawa, Canada).

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Wish we had diluted insulin - especially for middle of the night corrections.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Sorry for the OT, but I was just wondering if your friend's baby was tested for monogenic diabetes.

10. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

For future reference if anyone is diluting insulin: I did some research and Novolog does have a dilutent now. I think for a while they didn't. But when looking on the vial where they diluted it in the hospital it says normal saline. We are making sure that the compounding pharmacy is going to dilute it in the dilutent.

Thanks for all the responses, I learned SO much from all of you!
    -Sara

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we diluted at home and you're correct, novolog did not have a diluent for a long while (or they had it, and it was removed, and may now be back) so you could only dilute humalog.

It's relatively easy to dilute your own. We did 2 week amounts at a time and had no spoilage that way - PLUS - we could be guaranteed it was done correctly.

12. chammond

chammond Approved members

The diluent we used said it was for use with Novolog, and we were told it was okay to use it with the Humalog.

13. shekov

shekov Approved members

We diluted novolog since dx 2/07.

We never had any issues with it being unnacurate.

We would get a vial of dilutant from the pharmacy with our vial of novolog.

I would withdraw one unit of insulin from the dilutant vial and discard it into the sink. I would push one unit air into the vial of Novolog and pull one unit into the syringe. I'd then shoot the Novolog into the dilutant marking the date and potency on the vial. It's been a while but I think it's then U100 rather than U10.

It' is so simple and can be done at home as easily as simple novolog. DON'T let it imtimidate you.

14. timsma

timsma Approved members

Yes, he was, and it was negative.

15. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

All of you with babies dx.... you are very strong....

Let me ask you, I have a relative with a 2 year old boy who is having a very hard time getting his iron levels up.. He's very anemic.

Also, I saw him a few weeks ago, and he has very dark bags under his eyes.

Beside that, he seemed perfectly fine.

I was just wondering in little ones, if this could be a red flag?:(

16. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

could be

Afinger stick would give you the answer.

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

My CWD used diluted insulin until we started pumping last month. When she was first diagnosed, she used U10, then as her needs increased we would make U25, then most recently U50. The U50 was primarily used for those tricky middle of the night corrections - otherwise to cover for meals we would use full strength humalog.
    We had to take K to the hospital a month after she was diagnosed for vomiting and ketones and we had to give the ER doc there instructions on how to dilute (or how we dilute, given that she was using U10). Looking back I wish we brought our own insulin with us- it would have prevented us from having to wait to have the pharmacy prepare the insulin for us.
    Our CNE taught us how to dilute because it was difficult to find a compound pharmacy in our area. CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid are not compound pharmacies.
    I think the biggest tip with diluted insulin is that you have to make sure you roll the vial before drawing up your dose - just to ensure that the insulin/diluant is mixed.
    We also made sure that we put "Diluted Humalog" on my daughter's medical alert bracelet. When you are 16 pounds, 1 unit of U10 vs 1 unit of FS insulin is a scary difference!
    That all being said, the pump is such a great tool- it can deliver very small doses of full strength insulin much more accurately than myself or my husband can by drawing up a needle.