- advertisement -

different basal patterns for teen girls?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Judy&Alli, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

deleted message too short

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. alismom

alismom Approved members

Welcome to hormones. Allison always runs low for about 3 days before her cycle begins. I will adjust basals for this. We keep a calendar to chart her cycles so we know if the lows are due to timing or something else that we may need to look at. As others add comments, you will realize that it is different for everyone. Some girls run high during this time. Just so happens that both Allison and my sister (t1) run low.

3. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Judy,
    I posted about this last week, Britt will be starting hers very soon, and her numbers are crazy. They are saying some have different basal settings for this in their pump. I am meeting with the Endo on Wed, because things need to change. I am waiving the white flag on D and hormones..

4. Judy&Alli

LOL me too Tracy!!! Britt and Alli have always gone through the same thing at the same time, huh? UGH!!!

5. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I was looking for you on FB and realized you gave it up till after Easter!!!
    If Britt's would hurry up and grace us I could track it on the calendar. However it just wants to stay hidden and make me figure it out.. LOL.:confused:
    So I am tracking the weeks and Think I have the actual week figured out. I will see next month.

The 4 days before she runs high, after she will be normal 100's all day, the next morning which was this morning she was low. I know everyone is different though.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I do! I do! I do! We actually have two based on Coco's patterns.

We have her standard one - Pattern A - which is her day to day normal pattern.
    The we have Standard Pattern (you have to move up on the menu, so I made that one move up in balsas!). this pattern increases all of her Standard basals by .2 across the board.

Then we have Pattern B -(gotta go down on the menu - so I made this one lower...trying to make it easy for a 13 yr old brain). This decreased all of her basals by .1 across the board. she tends to go low a day into the whole shebang.

It IS a pain in the butt to keep track of changing all three of them. Especially when a change gets made at Dad's house. But it is the best solution that I can come up with.

We were doing temp basals, but the endo was hesitant to entrust dosing with a 13 yr old. So I set up the patterns. This way, if she is running high or low, she can swap patterns when not at home.

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We have three different patterns. Normal, 20% less, 20% more. I personally do not just raise each segment by .1,.2 or whatever, because her basal segments are so different at different times of day. .2 at her lowest basal would almost be doubling the insulin, but at her highest wouldn't even be 10%. So I have taken the extra time to figure out the 20% increase on each segment.

For my DD, 20% increase is just the start for the week before. The highs the week before are unpredictable, so sometimes also require extra temp basals. The week during, a 20% reduction works perfectly and numbers are better than any other time.

She also uses the 20% decreased basal pattern when she is more active, like walking the mall, a fieldtrip, or going to an amusement park.

The different patterns have made it easier for her to make adjustments. Which makes it more likely to happen.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am going to try the 20% rule and see how that works. Her highs are just so aggressive the week before.

9. Judy&Alli

deleted message too short

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

This is what I am considering. We have been having total chaos numbers here lately! She was sick with bronchitis...but combine this with the crazy hormones & it is just insane. I wish we could get a regular cycle going....poor thing is having her period one day, then not. Then in a few days get it for a day again. The other day she said, " I really do not like being a girl!"

11. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Honestly, there is no rhyme or reason in Hailey's numbers over the last year. Since she hit full blown puberty it has been hell. We were adjusting basals contantly with 4 sets one pre, one during the first 2 days, one for the last 5 days, and another for the rest of the month. Even that wasn't working. Now we are at the point that she does basals up to 150% or down to 50% depending on the day before. I can't wait until this is over!!

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Puberty for the girls is just insane with numbers - is it this bad with the boys???

I don't have different profiles set up in her pump yet, but I think I'm going to try the 20% less pattern as well. It's kind of what I do anyway...when she is running low in the few days before her period, we set an 80% temp basal for 24 hours and just keep setting it until she starts to trend higher. I usually am more aggressive with the highs...I'll set a 150% basal to knock those out.

This weekend, I think it kind of worked itself out. Usually when she is at a friend's house, her numbers will be higher than I like. This weekend, though, she was gone for two days and never had a number below 85 or above 110. THOSE are my kind of numbers! I am sure the low part counterbalanced the fewer boluses part and worked in her favor this time.

13. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    When I was a teen and beyond, I had three patterns. I would be very high mid cycle, very low 12 to 24 hours one day before cycle start, a gradual reset to the normal pattern by day 4 or so of my cycle. I was not regular so had to wait for the change and then adjust the insulin. Best advice is to calendar cyces and insulin needs so your daughter can start to see patterns. It is really hard. :cwds:ali