- advertisement -

Diet pops...what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Izzi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

3 questions.
    1) are they bad for you?
    2) if yes, why? What's in them?
    3)what do you let your diabetic drink?(carb free, anytime drinks)

I don't know the answer to the first two, but I drink diet coke, coke zero, diet sierra mist and diet sunkist regularly. I drink two 16.9 fl oz. Bottles of water (one at lunch and the other during classes) Monday through Friday ,but on the weekend I drink milk at breakfast lunch and dinner, then inbetween I'll drink maybe a glass of water and the rest pop. Whatare other carb free drinks I can drink? Sometimes my mom buys lemonaide that doesnt have carbs, but its expensive so she doesn't buy it often, and I love tea, but it takes a while to make. I also don't like mix ins that well What else do you/diabetic child drink?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. swellman

swellman Approved members

All we keep in the fridge is diet sodas, pretty much same ones as you. Personally, I don't think there's any credible evidence that they're bad for you unless you have a sensitivity to it or something. However, there's quite a bit of quackery surrounding them. My son drinks a couple a week, water, milk, juice boxes for raising BG and occasionally some diet powder that goes in a water bottle like a Crystal Light.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Well, there's the caffeine. Too much of that is not good for anyone. I believe there is also evidence that diet sodas kind of trick the body into thinking it is getting sugar and throw things off so you really end up craving and eating more. But given D, one has to choose the lesser of the evils. I drink diet soda; my cwd doesn't like soda anyway.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I drink diet soda, coffee, water, and crystle lite ice tea (usually the off brand kind) and tea

To make tea quickly you could fill a mug with water and microwave it.... it only takes about a minute or two

5. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Some people can be sensitive to the artificial sugars- causing headaches, muscle joint pain, and chronic fatigue. This would more likely be caused by higher amounts.

I just read diet soda can increase your appetite .....making one gain weight.
    Diet?

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree there is a lot of nonsense out there about artificial sweeteners.

We keep only diet sodas - my favorites happen to be caffeine free but we do get diet Mt. Dew also. There is a new soda put out with Pepsi brands called TEN - and the Canada Dry ginger ale version of that I love (it has 2 carbs and 10 calories).

Have you tried those Mio bottles of stuff you squirt into the water? I like those cause you can control the strength of the flavoring.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

there are also low carb or diet hot chocolate packets....

what would you be drinking if you didn't have diabetes? honestly I don't change what I drink that much... it's mostly just water, always has been

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

The "theory" on why this happens is that the pancreas still secretes some insulin when a normal person drinks a "sweet" drink, driving hunger and adding to weight gain with excess insulin in the bloodstream... so if it really worked that way that could potentially hold true for any artificial sweetener, no matter how natural or chemical in origin it is. Obviously for a T1 there's no potential for that happening so I think it's complete BS :)

I think diet soda is fine.. in moderation, like everything else. I wouldn't advocate for someone drinking nothing but artificially sweetened drinks all day the same way I wouldn't suggest a non-D drink nothing but sugar all day... water is always best but it does get boring :)

9. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

We usually keep both diet and regular soda in the house (the regular for bringing up lows when needed). My son LOVES the MIO water flavoring, but those can get expensive after a while. I also buy the store brand versions of crystal light drink mixes which he also likes. The one thing that took me forever to find was a juice that he was able to have, and I found diet v8 splash juice which only has 3g of carbs. Aside from those things, he'll have milk at breakfast a few times a week, and of course, good old plain water.

I've heard a few things about artificial sweeteners, but in moderation I don't see that there would be a problem.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Everything in moderation.

Keep in mind diet or not, that sodas contain acids which lead to enamel erosion, and phosphates which impact bone density. There have also been studies showing that diet sodas confuse the body and actually make you crave foods more.

So, is it bad?
    If you drink a 2 liter bottle in one sitting yes, if you have one or two a day no. Again, everything in moderation.

In our house we drink a combo of diet soda, seltzer, flavored waters and plain water with lemon. For school my kids take Roarin' Waters (8g of cho) and a water bottle.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I drink unsweetened carbonated water + unsweetened ice tea with lemon slices, unsweetened hot coffee and tea, and Zevia as my soda.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I let my "diabetic" drink whatever she wants, in moderation. That said, she rarely chooses pop of any kind and usually drinks milk, natural juice or water.

13. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I don't know about all that, but I love me some Diet Rite.

14. Kcbscrapper

Kcbscrapper Approved members

My son likes the low carb version of fuze, and g2 ( or other sports drinks). Sugar free koolaid is an option too, and a bit less pricey than the bottled stuff for guzzling at home. Sodas have not been a everyday thing in our home, but I will say we have more since dx.

15. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

I personally lost 32 pounds when I quit drinking diet pop and started drinking water instead. I was drinking 4 cans of diet dr pepper a day. I have kept it off for 3 years now. I was hungry all the time and always had a headache. Now every once in a while I have an energy drink in the morning or I add mio energy to my water but other than that I make sure I at least drink 4 bottles of water a day. My family also has switched from soda to water for the most part. Although we did get a soda stream for christmas but they can only have one bottle per day other than that we all drink bottled water. My husband and I have both had kidney stones I have had one and my husband has had 4 so for us it was pretty important to drink more water. We generally go through 2 cases of water a week.

16. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I drink diet pop at meals. No one else in the family does, though. I don't think diet pops are good for anyone but I'm already addicted. I keep them from it, admit my hypocrisy and tell them that they can make their own bad decisions when they are grown ups. :p We all drink juice, but in limited quantities. Kids and DH both drink milk. DH drinks regular pop, also at meals. I drink sweet tea at work - sweetened with Stevia drops. Most of our drinks are water, though. I'd say 85% of the time, it's water.

I did recently buy some G2 powder (from Gatorade) and have mixed up a gallon of it. Kids have had it with a few meals instead of milk but I think it's because of the novelty. It's relatively low carb but still needs a dose so it's something they only bother with if they are getting a shot anyways - snack or meal time, basically. Water is just so easy - glass, faucet, done.

17. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

I mostly drink water and juice (if I'm low). My mom is really paranoid about diet soda. I also drink orzo which is basically a caffeine-free alternative to coffee popular here in Italy. Only 3.2 carbs in one mug of orzo! :)

18. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

The aspartame in them is a poison!! In the body it breaks down and combines with other chemicals to create substances that are bad for us in a few ways. Those chemicals are either directly harmful or promote the creation of other harmful substances. As you can see the aspartame by itself is not a problem until it breaks down - hence the FDA approval. But when you consume it it will break down. It harms the central nervous system and taxes the body with a load of antioxidants and toxic substances that the body then needs to work hard to remove thus not allowing it to remove other wastes. If your liver is overtaxed (true for most of us), you are low in methyl donors (true for most of us), or prone to neurological side effects then this is not for you (and by you I mean everyone). You should avoid it unless you have one of the mental illnesses that would be made worse by it, or autism, or ADHD, or any neurological symptoms of body movement disorders, in which case you should avoid it like the plague.

I will throw away any item that comes into our house no matter what the costs if it contains this artificial sweetener. For other items (like plain old sugar or trans fats) I weigh the costs, enjoyment, and nutrition before considering to keep them or not.

We drink tea, water, milk, and sometimes juice. From these basic ingredients we can also make many other drinks like egg nog, hot chocolate, flavored milks, a variety of teas, lemon water, lemonaid, virgin sangria, punch, shakes, smoothies, etc. Many people drink coffee and I see nothing wrong with that even for kids in moderation.

We also use Stevia sparingly. For example recently the milk started to go "off" and had a slight sour taste. We added cinnamon and stevia to perk it up and mask the sour.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

I am starting to detect a pattern .... anywhoo.

Source is admittedly Wikipedia because I'm lazy, but the references have value.

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My D daughter drinks milk and water and home. Once in a while, she'll get a light lemonade if we are going through the drive thru. My middle one has just started drinking sodas once in a while when we are out and he drinks coke or cherry coke. My oldest daughter drinks water most of the time. All of them drink milk or water at home. I personally drink way too many Diet cokes and hubby drinks way too many Die Mountain Dews and Coke Zeros. But I wasn't introduced to sodas until I was much older and see no reason my kids should be drinking them regularly. I wish I wasn't so addicated to caffeine and want to try and reduce my personal intake.