- advertisement -

Didn't test all day!

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mom2Hanna, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna is usually so responsible that I don't look over her shoulder too much. I will scroll through her numbers when I check her after she is asleep. So yesterday, Saturday, she was 80 at 7am and I am trying to leave 80s alone, tested her again an hour later, 8am, 84 so pretty stable. I did wake her at 9, I was on my way out and she had to be at a rehearsal at 11. Rehearsal was from 11-4. She was supposed to do a service project from 4:30-9 with her GS troop, she had a big melt down about going, turned out to be canceled so she stomped upstairs. She did appear for dinner at 7 but I was busy with my 2 yo and not paying attention. Flash forward to 10:30pm, I go to check her, she's asleep, her bg is 300 and she has not tested since I tested her at 8 am or bolused.

I really wanted to wake her up and yell, but I let her sleep, the high came down nicely. It was a good desicion because I was a lot calmer this am when I told her I expect tests every 3 hrs or so or there would be consequences. I don't want to come down too hard, I can see she is tired and frustrated by her diabetes right now. On the flip side I want to shake her. Trying to find a good balance is so hard.

2. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Wow. That is a tough one but it sounds like you handled it very well. Not sure I wouldn't have shaken her awake and yelled at her for half an hour and then cried myself to sleep for handling it poorly. D sucks.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Wow, she only went to 300 with no boluses all day?

I'm really sorry that happened. :( Hopefully with a discussion she will be able to understand why testing and bolusing is so important. If it makes you feel any better I'm pretty sure that every teenager/preteen goes through something like this at some point. ((((hugs))))

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Did you find out why she didn't test?

I've had a few days where I didn't test because I had left my test strips at home or something like that. Once or twice I've gone back home for test strips but usually I try to guess based on what usually happens, and I inject if I eat much. I usually get back home with an in-range or slightly high blood sugar. But I can imagine if I was a kid figuring if I didn't know my blood sugar, that it was safer not to inject (bolus).

5. mom2Hanna

I think she just didnt want to have diabetes yesterday. And I don't think she ate much. She had an egg and cheese omelet for breakfast and some ground turkey for dinner, half a taco shell.
    Today was a better day.

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

We're only a little over a year into this and Bobby's done that a couple times already when we've not been around each other all day. I agree with your idea that they probably just want to take a day off.

It worries and frustrates me when it happens, but I default to being glad he at least boluses. And when I get him on about it, he cleans up his act for a while.

I'm glad today was better for you. I swear I sound like an alcoholic since D and the teen years came along, I chant "one day at a time" to myself a lot! :cwds:

7. mom2Hanna

Turned out yesterday was not better. I saw her test at 8 am for breakfast and bolus, she changed her site at noon, I was out and busy all afternoon, she bolused and tested for dinner, tested at bedtime. But at 2 am when I went thru her meter, there are no tests from 8am until 6:30 pm

I didn't wake her up but again I really wanted to. This am I told her I expect testing at lunch 11am, after school 2:30 pm, and at dinner 6pm. She was not pleasant about it.

8. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Is a GGM an option for her? While it does not replace all fingersticks, certainly gives her/you great insight into what is happening (or at least can show you what happened all day while she was not paying attention to it). I would seriously consider it, IMO could help provide some protection while she works through this difficult time.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It sounds to me like she needs a break from diabetes. You ought to figure out how you can take over her care for a few days. Teens can get burnout easily and the parent may need to give them a vacation every now and then.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's really hard. It just is. :(

I agree that she might need a bit more support for a while. They do get tired, they do get fed up, it's totally understandable.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Joe S. in this video of his "It's not just a numbers game" talk from FFL. http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=61397

11. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Our endo relates it to a chore that they need to do. Like taking out the trash. Consequences should occur as they would with any other chore they are expected to do.
    That said, if she needs a break, that is understandable, but she needs to ask you to take over - not just stop doing it.

12. mom2Hanna

Thanks , I will check out the video. Today was actually a better day, she tested pretty regularly and her #s were pretty good.
    I would love her to have cgm, she is opposed to having a stand alone and opposed to switching to medtronic. I'm working on it. Would be a lot easier if animas and dexcom would get it together like they told me 3 1/2 yrs ago that it would be out in a few months!

13. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We've had this quite a bit with Phillip. He just went back to school after the summer holidays. Over the hols he'd got better at testing. Now schools back he's not doing it again. I think for him it's mostly just forgetting. When this first started a couple of years ago I started texting him when I expected him to test, if he didn't text me back I'd ring him. A few months of doing that usually got him back on track until the hols changed his routine again. When he came home today he said 'Can you text me at school again so I remember to test.' Hopefully that'll get him back on track again. Can you do something similar for Hanna?

14. mom2Hanna

Texting her is a great idea, though she may not think so.

15. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I have my DS phone set to vibrate at mid-morning and again at lunch to remind him to check & text his BG and carbs/bolus if warranted. My phone likewise vibrates same time. If I do not hear from him, I send him a reminder text. Occasionally he gets in a mode where he claims he didn't feel the alarm/hear the reminder text ding in from me/does not want to bother. I warn I will plop myself at his 7th grade lunch table to get the info if he can't send the text...never had to actually follow thru b/c he gets the message. He actually only checks w/ the meter before eating lunch, sends the sensor numbers otherwise. Never sees the nurse but she does get the info via MyCareConnect too. Works out great. Phone/texting is in his IEP/504.

BTW, older son did not have cell phone until I got phone for DS in 6th grade to use for this purpose. Of course had to hear, "it's not fair" but at least for once there was a perk for the non-D sibling!

16. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I can feel a day like this coming for us but, I dread it. I was thinking maybe a CGM for a few days for a break. I think insurances cover them for short periods sometimes. Our won't but that's a fight for me:p. You hate to have to "do it for her" but, if she wants to act like her D doesn't exist someone needs to keep track of it.

I hope things turn around!

17. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

That's why it works for us. Phillip hates me texting him about diabetes, so it gives him an incentive to remember.