- advertisement -

Did your CWD ever perform in a show/on stage?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS has an upcoming 'concert' on stage at school - nothing physical like a dance recital. Luckily he doesn't have to be there until 6:15, so he will have just eaten dinner. Between backstage set-up to the end of the show, it will be just under 2 hours or so.

He is certainly one to be subject to stage fright; I don't know if his BG will drop during this time, this is a first for him. He's already moaning about not wanting to do it. I'm going to put some glucose tabs in his pockets, just in case. Not sure if sending him off with his meter is a great idea, either - he'll forget, it will get lost, etc.

Any advice if your CWD ever had a recital/concert? I know the music teacher will be running around trying to organize all the kids. I don't think she'd be too keen on having me backstage.

Thank you for any insight.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie's done a number of musicals and plays and she plays guitar in two bands. The band gigs are pretty easy compared to the plays. I just have her check her bg within maybe 15 min of going on and have her drink a bit of juice if she's under 120ish - ( depending as well on how she's feeling and things like IoB or food on board) and she keeps some tabs in her pocket just in case. It's always been fine, though the sets are 30-45 min only. ;)

If the show is right after a meal I'd probably go with a low carb dinner so that he doesn't have a big bolus going and just have him check and if lowish have something like 4 oz of choc milk or a go-gurt sort of thing that will carry him for the 2 hour show. You'll probably have to do some adjusting afterward but at least he (and you) won't be too worried about lows while on stage.

3. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I had dance recitals in the late 1960's early 1970's and I did not have a meter. I didn't like the glucose tablets (still don't). But I had life savers with my costume changes. So after every number, I had a few life savers. My dance instructor knew I was a diabetic, and she had a cooler full of soda pop and a few cheese sandwiches just in case.

For my first marching band concert, I carried 2 or 3 rolls of life savers in my uniform.

I believe you idea of having the glucose tabs are great. If your son has a solo, I'd suggest giving his less insulin at supper time and then adjusting later on.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm a big performer=) since my dx I've been in
    one full length play,
    Directed a one act play (I was backstage for both performances)
    been in a dance recital
    a piano recital,
    a vocal recital,
    and many MANY short skit like things for our children's ministry at church.

For all recital like things I just keep a small purse with me with a meter and some sugar in it, then when I go on stage I leave it on my seat.

For the play I was on stage almost the whole time, luckily my mother was directing and my sister was the backstage manager, so we all worked together on a plan that worked for all 3 performances. On stage their was a tea cup with some juice in it that the whole cast knew not to remove (we did little women so this didn't look strange) then directly back stage I had a meter (a spare, so it wouldn't be awful if it was lost) I also had another meter with my cloths (where I changed costumes and stuff) that I left there all tech week so there was no chance of forgetting it.

I had to do a temp decrease because excitement makes me drop, but other wise I was fine=) I think one night my site might have ripped out and I had to put a new one in in like 1 minute because I needed to be back on stage=O but it all worked out in the end...

most concert type things they have a seat assigned to every kid, you could have your son keep a meter and some sugar there=) if you don't already have a spare meter then I would get one=) their great for when your worried it might get lost... I know you can get a free one from one touch...

Also, keep an eye out for lows that night, I know I always drop a lot after a performance.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Thank you all for the great advice.
    Sure sounds like you and your CWD are a talented group :)

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has performed in numerous choral and band concerts since preschool. (He is finishing his senior year) I just made sure he had tabs in his pockets in case he felt low. He never had a problem.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

All good advice. All I have to add is...get an extra meter or two to have around if you're concerned about loss. We have several running at any given time. I still have one in my bag, and my kid is 300 miles away (with about 4 other meters).

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Becky, that is funny that you still carry a meter in your bag.
    Oh we have at least six meters around 'stock piled' away and about the same amount of Novopen Jrs., etc. :p I just don't want another distraction for him!

Thanks again!

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Lots of performing here too.

We will do an easy to bolus dinner where we know she won't spike or dip (ie. no pasta, pizza, Chinese). Milk to drink or making yogurt part of the meal helps too. I will also run a decreased temp basal from about 30 min prior until the show ends.

10. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

My son is in a chorus, too and I also made sure that he has enough tablets in his pocket when he performs on stage.

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

I used to do many performances, violin and vocals, which meant being on different stages, sometimes playing at fairs outside in the heat, and helping corral the younger children.

I was diagnosed at an age where I wanted to do all my D stuff and wouldn't let my mom baby me back stage. :rolleyes: Check before going on stage, keep bg raising stuff in pockets, if you have them. If not, be creative in where you keep your sugar (back of dresses, bras, shoes...). Be prepared for possible adrenalin bg spikes and drops.

As far as stage fright, take a lesson from my grandma and don't force the poor kid to eat a full meal before hand. They may end up puking back stage due to stage fright. :eek: Stick to mild foods the day of the performance and conservative corrections are probably in order.

As far as you being back stage, you are the mom, and you need to watch out for your child. Diabetes is a game changer, and unfortunately it doesn't like to play fair.

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yes. Campbell is in the school chorus, so they have a couple of concerts each year. He also just performed in the school musical. He carried tabs in his pocket, had his full kit in the music room (where they hung out til their scene), and I was in the building with backup stuff. He tested before the show started and checked his Dexcom just before his scene. We underdosed a little bit for dinner and then corrected afterwards.

A slight funny with the musical: the director made sure he told me ahead of time that he was supposed to collapse in his scene. She didn't want me charging the stage :D

13. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Yes, my dd has been in plays and on stage for long hours with Jazz, Brass, and concert ensemble.

I agree with everyone here, plan ahead, always have snacks stashed nearby and on the person. I like smarties. We also do a temp basal or reduce insulin for those activities.

Sounds like an exciting event!

The only time my dd didn't check her bg was at my son's wedding, she was an attendant. I could see her going low right during the vows. She gets sorta agitated and restless and was doing alot of excessive movement. With all the excitement of the day and her forgetting to test...I literally was on the edge of my seat. As soon as the happy couple lit the candles I tossed her some glucose tablets. Whew!

14. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Kirsten -- will definitely take your advice re: puking on stage, lol!!!

Heather - good thing about the warning ahead of time!!

Bigbluefrog - that would have been a memorable event at your son's wedding :eek:

Thanks everyone!

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

;) Smart director!

16. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

My D daughters both perform and sing, have done full length plays, and numerous musicals. They check before, we have a Dexcom that shows us minute by minute trends, though these are usually worn during performances. They have sugar close by, and the director has an emergency kit in the high school. I go on trips and all day events like All state or mid state, and it used to be because I wanted the director to concentrate on all the other kids and I could watch mine. Now I go because I enjoy them! I also play the piano for some of the competitions : )
    I can say in 13 years, we have only had one problem. Morgan had a lead role and went low. Yes, she did pass out briefly, and we pulled her to the floor, and someone ran to get juice before I could even get her supply bag open! (I was directing the play, so I had to keep everyone together. the best part of the whole day was when the last line of the show came (it was Morgans) and the entire cast looked down from the stage at the auditorium floor, and from her back she belted out her last line! It was one of the scariest things ever, and then became one of the funniest!

17. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny was actually in the Broadway cast of The Color Purple when she was diagnosed with diabetes. She had no honeymoon and was in prepuberty, meaning managing was not easy. But she made it through 8 shows a week for almost a year. Since then she has done many shows. Some physically very demanding and with a lot of stage time.

The d management depends highly on her costume (do we have to disconnect the pump?), is there a lot of physical activity, how many costume changes, how many breaks? Usually we see how her bg reacts when they do run throughs and tech. This gives us a great indication on how d will coorperate. Of course we are talking about diabetes and nothing is sure there.

Generally speaking she tries to be in the higher 100s before show starts and is measuring during intermission. She always has pretzels in her dressing room (they work fast and don't stain the costume).

18. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Sharon - how terrifying for Morgan, but WTG for her being able to let the show go on!!!

Caro - sounds like Jenny is a real pro at this!! Broadway, wow!!!

Thank you again!

19. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Ab does band, orchestra, violin recitals and auditions, and musicals. No really fatty foods before a performance, set a temp basal of 50% 30 min prior to and for duration of performance. She tests 30 min prior, that way she has time to correct a low. Glucose tabs are taped to her music folder. I like to see her 150-200 just prior because playing the violin (for her) is quite a workout. She doesn't get an adrenaline high.

20. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

My DD had her ballet dress rehearsal yesterday. The rehearsal didn't start yet, but they were already on stage for the costume parade. Thank God I was at the auditorium. "Mom, I feel low..." I run to the dressing room to get "the blue bag".
    She checks - 36 :eek: :confused:. Two tablets.... They start....