- advertisement -

did you love pumping right away?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

It's been 3 weeks now and honestly, if Amanda was to tell me she wanted to go back to shots I wouldn't try to change her mind. I'd probably cry in relief. :eek:

Her numbers have been all over the place and looking at the CGM graphs ...it 's a huge rollercoaster.

I think I was just so comfortable with MDI, confident in my knowledge that this has thrown me for a loop. Starting the pump and the CGM at the same time has been information overload.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I felt the same way for the first few weeks. Now I'd be mixed.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I wanted to throw it at a wall for the first 3 months or so... :eek: It's much better now. And the week I switched back to MDI, my BGs were all over the place compared to how they are pumping. I'd recommend that you stick with it for at least 6 months.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

It took us weeks to adjust basals. She seemed stuck in the 300's at night-not matter that we were increasing basals. It was not an easy pump start, but one of the reasons that we wanted to use the pump was due to the need for a higher basal rate at different times of the day.

L loved pumping after day 1. It made her happy to have back a piece of the life she remembered. She was able to bolus and eat, if she wanted second helpings--she pushed buttons--no additional shots required. She didn't complain much about the shots, but she apparently felt encumbered by them. One time, a few months after she got the pump, she was playing with her siblings, and she bounced around the corner and exclaimed, "...sometimes it doesn't feel like I have diabetes..." meaning she loved the freedom of the pump--she felt like it gave her the chance to be more like herself.

Are you finding the CGM alerts/alarms bothersome at this point?

5. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

First few weeks we hated it! One day we were high all day, the next could not get above 80. We adjusted the basel rates every couple of days for the first week or two till we found what seemed to work, than fine tuned form there. We did also have to change site types and that helped too and the Insets had problems after the first day and a half. It gets better, hang in there

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I hated it! The only thing that kept me from throwing in the towel was that my husband, who was more hesitant to start my son on the pump, hated it even more. I felt like I had to stick it out with my son to prove to my husband that I hadn't forced us into a nightmare. Overall, I am really glad that we kept going with it.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I loved it, but then I was forwarned, it could take up to 6 months to adjust! My only thought was 5-8 injections a day versus an infusion set every few days. Plus I went on a 2 week vacation the day after I started pumping, was so much easier!

8. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

You will feel differently once you get her numbers in range. It takes some time. I don't think we could every go back to MDI. We love the convenience and independence that the pump offers.

9. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

I didn't want to do it at first, but now I love it. Give her time, and she'll get used to it. It's so much easier than shots. Just keep with it.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I hated it in the beginning, but was warned here that it would be bumpy in the beginning. Now, in my defense, I was totally stressed out because my daughter ended up in the hospital with a stomach bug the week prior.
    We were to call in numbers every day, and GASP one day my husband forgot to write something down and I freaked out on him, while on the phone to the head of pediatrics at our clinic:eek:

However, I saw how happy my daughter was every time we bolused with pumpy, that I got over my frustrations.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Yes, we loved it from the day we started.

That said, I'm one of those people who spent months researching, reading horror stories, looking into the struggles, the cons, everything. I think I had mentally prepared myself for a "worst case scenario" ... and going into it with that mindset may have helped.

Like a previous poster, my son told me one day it was almost like not having diabetes anymore. That day made up for so many bad ones. :)

12. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We loved it from day one, but also came into it with a very realistic viewpoint, after a lot of research. We also weren't learning the CGM at the same time; our endo suggested that it would be information overload, and I think she was right. Think about whether it would help you to put the CGM away for a few weeks, while you just figure out the pump, and then you can come back to it when the pump is no longer so overwhelming.

Also, are you doing basal fasts? We've found those to be the best way to quickly get a grip on basals.

Good luck, and hang in there! It'll be worth it in the long run!

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'll answer when I can quit laughing. Not at you, promise. Just at your title.

Ha, sorry, gosh I hated that thing. HATED.IT. For a few months. It gets better.

14. sooz

sooz Approved members

How wonderful it must have been to hear those words come out of her mouth!! A red letter day!!

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our experience almost exactly! We dropped the "hate" part of the love-hate relationship at around 8 weeks out.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The beginning of pump start was very stressful for me. He loved it so much, though, that I never considered going back to MDI. It took us about a month to settle into things.

We didn't start CGMing until 2 months after pump start. I would have looked like this guy ------> :eek: if we had done them both at the same time!

The other thing to consider too is that the CGM shows you ALL of your "warts" in your D management. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, frankly. :p

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We have moved back to MDI after two years of pumping, so from the perspective of someone that pumping wound up not working for, I'd also say stick with it until you get over the hump-- or barring that, stop pumping, regroup, and try again. The first month you are on the pump it really is an entirely different story from what it's going to be like on a normal basis. You really can't make a good judgment on whether it fits your family until you get through the initial adjustment.

If you post what the problems are, folks here can help trouble shoot. Our first pump start was a total no go, but with advice from people here we tried again and it was very different.

18. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I did. The first couple weeks were hard. But the ability to give micro boluses to my 2 1/2 year old were life changing. Before the pump we were unable to safely correct at night unless she was over 300 b/c I couldn't measure out anything small enough with a syringe, so she just sat there all night. Or I gave her a correction and juice later. And I love being able to bolus 2 or 3 or 6 times during a meal as she decides what she's going to eat.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

As soon as we started pumping I fell in love with it... I knew we had made the right decision for Kaylee and never have felt I wanted to go back, infact, when she says she wants to do shots I have to remind her it isn't one shot a day, but multiple shots a day. She started pumping 3 months after dx, she had just turned 3, so she doesn't remember anything but pumping. For me, I'm so much more comfortable with pumping than I am MDI. We've gone back to MDI for a brief period here or there... and to do correction shots, but I would hate, absolutely HATE to go back to MDI for a long stretch. That doesn't mean that MDI is horrible and pumping is the best, its just what I know best, and what I'm (and K) are comfortable with. I'm sure doing MDI for a while and then going to pumping its like starting over again.

20. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

We had a really rough time with MDI because his basal needs were so different night and day, so the transition to the pump was pretty smooth and very welcomed.

It has only been 3 weeks. We are far from experts, and there are days where the numbers aren't good. However, his numbers are already better than they were on MDI and we haven't even tried some of the advanced features like the square bolus.

If we had more success with MDI, perhaps this would have been a more difficult transition.