- advertisement -

Did you have a meeting at the beginning of the school year?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

So the principal called me back and I have a meeting next week to discuss getting a 504 in place. So now I really have to buckle down and think about what things I'd like in the 504. The anxiousness is wearing off, so hopefully I won't be too stressed about this.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Just keep in mind that it's super easy to add things to a 504, so don't feel like you have to get it exactly right the first try. In my opinion, the most important thing is the EXISTENCE of the 504. Really, the day-to-day care stuff with the nurse is the tricky part to figure out. When/how she'll test, treat, whether she goes to the nurse or nurse to her, how to deal with treats/snacks, etc. Most of that evolves over time as you get a handle on her schedule and what is most practical for the way things actually work as she goes about her day at school.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree. Start with the basics, the things that you feel are the most important for your daughter's care on a daily basis. You can always revise once you begin to implement the plan and see where there may be gaps.

Good luck! :cwds:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed. Starting out of the gate in K, it's more important to get it established, get the school to understand her needs/rights. We had really basic stuff in K such as "test before disciplining, nurse needs to be alerted to unscheduled snacks, testing allowed anywhere anytime."

You will find each year you need to add a little more, or situations will arise that make you think, "that would be good to add." I got a lot of tips from people here and they are now in the 504. At this stage the 504 is important, but I think having the nurse understand and follow the health plan is key.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Like it needs to be quoted again :p But it is spot on. :cwds:

6. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

I agree with the previous posters. Get it in place now even if it doesn't have a lot in it. Each year I have had to add to it and I'm glad I had the basics down.

7. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Update: I had a 504 meeting yesterday with the principal. She was amazing and pretty well copied word for word every accommodation I had written before I went in. She's helping me coordinate meetings with C's teachers, the playground aides, and making sure we contact the bus drivers. It was a huge help, and I'm finally feeling less anxious about sending Charlotte to school! Yay!

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Glad to read this! I know how anxious you were about this. Good job, Mom! :)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's wonderful :cwds: Congratulations!