- advertisement -

DID anybody see this Article..???? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MrsBadshoe, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Honestly, this is very believable. People say all sorts of idiotic things about diabetes and if I got bent out of shape every time I read or heard about it, I would be in a constant state of aggravation. Life is way too short for me to let someone like this even phase me.

That said, if there is a situation where someone can be educated about the realities of life with diabetes, I am all for trying to do it, and I do. But there are some people who don't get it and never will.

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

ROFL!!!

The remark about no diabetes 150 years ago - cuz they all died - IDIOT!!!

I used to go to a chiropractor - they said that adjustments could help my daughters sugars by increasing nerve impulses to her pancreas.:rolleyes:

3. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

i'm eating his brownie point lol

at least he admited he made a mistake, but sadly many who read his original article, won't read his retraction and thats just more uneducated and ignorant people we need to educate....

4. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

this is the email I sent....hoping it would help him to think before he writes and maybe give him a little insight into the life of a child with diabetes. There is always hope we can educate!

"Hello,

I would like to take a minuet and tell you about a little 6 year old girl. She was just like any other 6 year old- happy, healthy, full of energy, a smile that would light up any room she walked into- so full of life and spirit.

She got sick one spring and went to the doctors 3 times, and all 3 times she tested negative for strep throat, she ended up with scarlatina a complication of step throat. 6 weeks later this beautiful, happy girl was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. An illness that has completely changed her way of life..... This little girl is my daughter.

Every day she is faced with testing her blood sugar, giving herself insulin, dealing with low blood sugars, high blood sugars, hypoglycemia unawareness and the fear that she could die from her blood sugar dropping too low, testing for ketones, counting the carbohydrates in everything she eats and calculating the insulin to carb ratio in order to give herself insulin, making sure she has her meter, test strips, glucose tablets, glucagon emergency kit and other life saving supplies with her just to go to the store or to a friends house, along with all the other things a child with diabetes has to do every single day just to stay healthy, safe and alive- not to mention dealing with school and all the other things kids have to deal with.

Yet throughout all of this, she still has that same smile that will brighten any room she walks into- she doesn't let having diabetes stop her from being herself and doing the things she loves to do. Diabetes is not who my daughter is, but is simply a part of who she is.

I just thought I would share this with you, so that the next time you write an article about diabetes and the people who have type 1 diabetes.... maybe instead of making gross misrepresentations and blanket statements about diabetes and the people who have this illness, you will think of my daughter and all the other children living with diabetes."

5. skimom

skimom Approved members

Yet throughout all of this, she still has that same smile that will brighten any room she walks into- she doesn't let having diabetes stop her from being herself and doing the things she loves to do. Diabetes is not who my daughter is, but is simply a part of who she is.

I just thought I would share this with you, so that the next time you write an article about diabetes and the people who have type 1 diabetes.... maybe instead of making gross misrepresentations and blanket statements about diabetes and the people who have this illness, you will think of my daughter and all the other children living with diabetes."

This was wonderful - it literally brought tears to my eyes as I think about all the things our kiddies do each and every day before they get to be a kid.
    Thankyou

6. bisous

bisous Approved members

In some ways, this is why I am "glad" that my two year old was diagnosed. Seriously, one of our problems at diagnosis was getting my two year to EAT ANY SUGAR SOURCES since he was totally not used to drinking juice or eating candy! Now that is hardly a problem, lol, but I triple dog dare someone to tell me that his Type 1 Diabetes was caused by poor nutrition. I can honestly say that we were PERFECTLY compliant with a very healthy lifestyle AND he got Type 1.

I do appreciate the emphasis on healthy living. I don't like all this false information! It is actually quite eye opening in the sense that I KNOW Type 1 Diabetes research and when it rings false, I have a very hard time taking anything else the person says seriously!

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Soooo well stated, thank you!

8. sahmcolorado

sahmcolorado Approved members

Well, I know this was already retracted and I'm coming in on it late, but I still had to email his idiot. I wasn't as nice as you. I ripped into him. Reading his article really made me angry. I make all our bread, cereal bars, etc. homemade with 100% whole grains. "Dessert" at our house is fresh fruit and/or yogurt, and a treat is a smoothie made with protien powder, fresh fruit, and yogurt, often homemade yogurt. My kids never had juice until DD was dx T1. They've never tastes soda pop. We only buy wild caught fish, on and on, and this is how we've lived before dx. Just made me so mad that he would imply that our lifestyle caused my little girl's disease.

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Originally Posted by bnmom
    What a nitwit, this has to be Halle Berry's personal trainer

Thanks bnmom! That was my total crack up of the day!

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

That's exactly what I thought....as I was reading, I thought, "who is this guy?" and when I got to the end...suddenly it all made sense. But what is a chiropractor doing writing an article about diabetes? :confused: Maybe he's been collaborating with Ann Curry. lol

I'm sorry, but printing a retraction doesn't really help much...the damage is done. People are going to read it and believe it (and miss the retraction, more than likely). *sigh*

11. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

:confused::confused::confused: Did he write it or proofread it? What does it mean, he scanned it too quickly? He wrote it, didn't he? Or maybe the words just flowed out of his fingers into the computer without him really paying attention to them? Does he even have a shred of credibity left?

Sheesh.

12. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Well it happend in The Tommy Knockers. If a woman in a Steven King book can do it, why can't this guy?

13. sahmcolorado

Um... yeah. He wrote back to me twice with similar apologies. Spelling and gramatical errors are overlooked in proofreading. Major conceptual errors are not. He told me he was sleep deprived. Says he wants to do a fundraiser for Type 1. Whatever.

14. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i agree with this, its the environmental issues, chemical in food and household products, water, air, its all around us. Its messing up the immune system. Thats the problem. But that will never change. Its just going to get worse.

15. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Because the Type 1's weren't around to count :(.

16. SueM

SueM Banned

I hope you're wrong. I would say it would be more difficult to do a lot with the water/air ... but as far as limiting possible triggers, I hope we can do better down the road. Part of that will come when there is some sort of realization that these chemicals/foreign substances are causing problems in the first place. Too many people are stuck on the "genetics only" train.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

FWIW, I think it's genetics, BUT I also think we live in a world where the possible suspected triggers for those predisposed to T1 D are more aggressive than before (pre-industrial age). In that, I agree with you.

However, we will never know if this is the case or not since diagnosis way back when just didn't, well, diagnose correctly or on time and were prior to insulin discovery. So we could have had the same amount of T1 D, but they all passed away.:(

18. SueM

SueM Banned

I tend to look back to our more recent history (ie say the past 30 years). At that time (30 years ago), type 1 diabetes was a known condition and it is highly unlikely (ie almost impossible) that large numbers of children were misdiagnosed / not diagnosed / died from type 1 diabetes - (not talking about from complications). That's not to say that it never happened :( but certainly our doctors 30 years ago would be coming out of the woodwork talking about how they missed these kids back then. They weren't being missed, they didn't exist. In the numbers that are here today. I keep feeling the need to clarify because I know that someone is bound to post about how their great grandmother had type 1 diabetes. (I know, I get it...). It's all about the numbers today.

There's a quote out there that goes something like this... Genetics holds the gun, environment pulls the trigger. That pretty much sums up what I think is going on today. Too many environmental triggers today for kids. Maybe same number of genetically susceptible kids previously but for some reason the triggers are much more likely to push the kids into autoimmune diseases, etc... (insert whatever other conditions are more prevalent today).

19. sahmcolorado

Or maybe they died of something else, or maybe the testing wasn't done - the child just went into a coma/died for unknown reason. Either way, I wouldn't expect tons of doctors to come out saying that they "missed it".

Also, even just 30 years ago, people didn't discuss disease as they do today. They didn't want others to know.

Communication is so easy and prevalent today. 30 years ago, you wouldn't have heard about T1 cases. Who would? It was still a big huge deal to call another state. The numbers may seem huge simply because you have a forum such as this.

I also wonder if there were different terms or classifications for what we call T1. Look at autism. The numbers "appear" to be exploding for autism, but in fact, the definition of autism has been greatly expanded to include many more kids than would have been included 10 yrs ago.

I don't know anything about this, to be honest. Just some possibilities to consider.

20. SueM

SueM Banned

Maybe I naive but it seems totally unreasonable to me that a percentage of children with type 1 diabetes went undiagnosed / the children went into a coma and just died (recent past). I don't know how old you are but I'm 40 and I can't say that I EVER remember hearing a story about people dying of these unknown causes? (Again, there are always exceptions to the rule). It simply doesn't make sense to me. Far more likely, that the numbers are increasing rapidly due to environmental issues.

I do believe that the experts even admit that this is the case at this point (not that I am one to believe the experts...). :) The increase is real... it's a matter of why.

Of course, there's also no doubt in my mind that the autism numbers are exploding as well... How about food allergies? Same. We've got issues.