advertisement

Diagnosis Stories

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeff, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

If you'd like to share your diagnosis story, please do so here. I'll stick this thread at the top of the Introductions forum.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

No one else wants to go first?

Well here goes.

It was sept 2005, school had just started. and had just gotten back from fabulas vacation with the grandma's in Hawaii. Sara complained of stomach aches at times and could be very cranky at times.

I made her a appointment for what I thought was uti. she was going to bathroom a lot. Our NP Samantha listened to our symptoms-had us do a urine sample. and the rest is history. When she brought that glucometer in I knew what that meant.. I held her for her first bloodsugar, knowing what was coming. She was 9. 450 was our first bs. I had to leave the room and broke down. I am ever so grateful to that nurse that stayed with Sara and explained what was going on. I'll never forget them. They did such a great job. I called my dh-thankfully I reached him. Sara was fine. I was balling my head off. Trying pitifully to keep myself together.

amandahao likes this.
  3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was 14, and I'd been showing symptoms like thirst and peeing a lot for a LONG time (over a year), but the serious symptoms didn't start until perhaps a month and a bit before dx. I was eating so, so much, and would get insane stomach aches. By the end I was drinking 6-10 litres a day of juice and water(and peeing every hour during the night, more often in the day). It was the weight loss that finally made me go to the doctor, I dropped from 120 down to 80 (lbs). I was about 5'5". The doctor told me I didn't have D [because they'd already had 2 people dx'd that year, and usually they only get 1 (I know -- wth??) but I kinda pushed a bit so she tested my pee and freaked out at the amount of sugar, did a BG test and took vein blood. My BGs were really high, didn't register and I think the equipment read to 800. I can't remember that much though. Anyway, my ketones were off the scale, so I got started on an IV and stayed in hospital for that weekend. For the next few days after that, I had to go in for each injection (I was on NPH at that point, though, so only 2 a day).

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It was July of 2004, Steven hadnt been feeling well for awhile. The symptoms were so gradual that I kept thinking it was something else. He was about 3 years and 4 months old and wasnt completely potty trained yet and he started wetting through his diapers at night, they would be soaked. He was very tired all the time I remember, he would get up from a nap and want to sleep some more. I really started to get scared when we went into Walmart and he started crying cause he was so thirsty, I asked if he could just wait a second for me to get a bottle of water, he cried and said " no i need it now!" I brought him to the pediatrician on July 7 they found glucose in his urine and the next day we went to his first endo appt. His blood sugar when we got there was 167, his A1C at diagnosis was 7.8. Steven is my hero and I'm real proud to be his Mom:)

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sam wet the bed for 4 of the 7 nights we were at Disney. When we got back I made an apt at the ped to get him the drug for bedwetting thinking that was the problem.
    She found glucose in his urine and his bg was 440. He had not lost any weight and had no other symptoms of diabetes.
    We went to the endo that day, no ketones and no hospitalization. At the time his a1c was under 5---the endo thought that we caught this within weeks of onset.
    We are now 3 years in to this and believe he is still making some of his own insulin,

6. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Our story goes like this:

Early April 2008 she had a doctors appt (neurologist - for petit mal seizures) and her weight was 51 pounds at that time. In early May, I started to notice the water drinking, frequent bathroom visits, and started to wonder. She even wet the bed a couple of nights - very odd. On the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, we had a big carb-filled breakfast at McDonald's and she ended up getting sick from that. She seemed fine after getting sick, but later that day I noticed her clothes were fitting really loose. I had her step on the scale and she was down to 45 pounds. I talked to my husband, and checked Webmd...which told us exactly what it was. She even had the sweet breath. That Tuesday I took her to her pediatrician who tested her urine and it was positive for ketones. Their glucose monitor wasn't working, so they sent us to the lab. Two hours later, her doctor called to say her blood sugar was 704 and we needed to head straight to the ER. So there began our journey. We were in the hospital for 5 days getting her regulated, learning all there is to know, etc.

She is such a trooper about it all. She never feels sorry for herself or uses her diabetes as an excuse for anything. I always say you are only given what you can handle, and Kathy can definitely handle this. She makes me very proud!

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip's story is a bit different to most.
    He never had the usual symptoms of drinking/peeing lots.
    It was 2005. Phillip was nearly 8.
    On the 26 January we were out walking when Phillip had to throw up in the gutter. It was 33 celcius that day, so I thought maybe it was heatstroke. He felt fine after. As I rubbed his back I noticed I could feel every single bone in his body. When we got home I rung the doctors and spoke to a nurse. She said to bring him in so the doctor could see if he was underweight or not (we didn't own a scale). This was about 5 minutes before the doctors closed. So I made an appointment for after school the next day, just thinking it was a weight loss thing.
    Next day was the first day back at school. Phillip went to school fine. Happy to go. Picked him up after and walked to doctors (no car then).
    Now our doctor routinely checks our bs whenever we see him, due to family history of d. Phillip hadn't seen him in about four years though. So we get into the surgery. Doctor weighs Phillip, he's 17kg. 'Definitely a concern', doctor says. Then he pulls out the tester to do the routine test. As he's doing this he's saying something like 'This is probably something minor.' He doesn't say what because the meter comes up with 28 (504). He was as shocked as I was. Wasn't expecting that. He immediately sends us to the hospital.
    At this point I don't realise how serious this is. I have no idea what that 28 means, only that it's higher than it should be. We walk the 1/2 hour to the hospital. I at least have the sense of mind to buy Phillip a bottle of water when he pleads for a drink on the way. It's the only issue I have with our doctor. If he'd told us how serious this was I would have got a taxi.

Phillip didn't need a drip, or have ketones. His a1c was 12something. He was in the hospital for 6 days, mainly for education, because they didn't think we'd be able to come back daily for this without a car.

Looking back there were other signs, but I didn't know. He'd been irritable and grumpy, but I just put it down to his sister bugging him more. He'd also gone backwards in his schoolwork, but his teacher never said anything because he was still ahead of the class. He went from working three years ahead of his classmates, to being only 1 year ahead. By the end of 2005 he was back up where he had been. He'd also been getting very fidgety in class. His teacher said all boys were like this. This disappeared after he got on insulin, as did his moodiness, except when he's high.

8. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Looking back, I wish we had figured it out sooner. Logan was extremely moody and I actually got books from the Library on dealing with a Strong Willed Child. I had never seen tantrums like that before. He had also been drinking constantly and peeing through diapers daily. It seemed like every time we went somewhere he would wet himself. He had also on occasion been throwing up near the beginning of meals. Like after the bread and drinks were delivered when we went out to dinner. We now assume this was a carb overload and after that he would eat the rest of his meal and be fine. Here is our story.

On 10/22/08 Logan was not feeling well. When I got home from work DH told me that he had not kept anything down all day, he kept throwing everything up. Normally as soon as I get home, Logan nurses for a bit and then we play. He nursed and seemed ok at first and then it came back up. He kept taking sips of water and it seemed like he could keep little amounts down. We assumed he had the flu. DD Kristen had a job interview at the mall, so we packed everyone into the car and took her up there. Logan was content in his stroller for awhile, and then he wanted to get out and walk around. We took him outside to the courtyard while Kristen finished up her interview (and got the job!) to let him walk around a bit. He seemed a bit unsteady so we kept him close and DH commented that he looked awful and we should take him to the Dr. I said he just has the flu and the Dr is closed, so if he doesn't look better by tomorrow, we will take him in.

After we got home, Logan just seemed sleepy and not feeling well. We played some and he drank little bits, so I thought he was on the mend. We co-sleep and when we went to bed, I noticed he was breathing heavy and it felt like his heart might be racing at times. I tried to get more fluids in him off and on and around 1 am he threw everything up again and refused to drink anything more. He moaned and groaned in his sleep all night long and when I got up at 7 we decided to drop Kristen at school and take Logan to the Dr. Their office opened at 8:30 and the Dr didn't come in to see us until after 9. As soon as she saw him she walked us over to the ER and told them he looked "shocky".

At the ER they took him right back and tried to get IV lines in to re-hydrate him but his veins were too flat, so they had to insert an I/O into the bone on his leg to get fluids in him. The first one got infiltrated so they had to remove it and do it all over again in the other leg. We didn't get a whole lot of info at first and were scared to death, especially when a Chaplin walked into the room. That is not something a parent wants to see when their child is laying on a gurney. All I could think was that we were going to lose him. He looked like he was near death and was essentially I guess in a diabetic coma. His blood sugar was 785 and he was in DKA. Later we were told his AC1 was 10.8% but didn't know what that meant until much later.

During all of this I called my mom and step dad in Washington to get some support. My step dad is an ICU nurse, so he told me what questions to ask since we weren't getting any info from the docs. Then I called Kristen's boyfriend to see if he could somehow get her to the hospital. I knew she was worried about her brother and needed to leave school. They arrived after an hour or so and it was such a horrible and comfortable feeling to have them there while poor Logan got poked and prodded.

The hospital we were at did not have a PICU, so they transferred him to Children's Hospital of LA via Ambulance. I sent DH in the ambulance with him and I went home real quick to grab a few things and then made the drive out there. When I finally got to the PICU they had inserted a central line and a catheter. Logan was still really out of it and we were told the first 24 hours were the most critical. I was a mess. We went to make some calls and then got a message that there were 2 docs waiting to see us. We rushed back and it was his Endo along with another doc (which I really don't like!) The other doc told us the first 48 hours were the most critical and at this point he could have cerebral edema and could die. I was horrified that it was a possibility, I just hadn't wanted to go there! The Endo reassured us that they had done everything right at the other ER and he was being brought back up gradually, so things were going very well so far. That made me feel moderately better.

They gave us a room down the hall for the night, so after I took Kristen and her BF home, I sent DH in there to sleep and I did not leave Logan's side. I dozed off and on in the chair. At some point during the night he started to fuss a bit and by morning he was recognizing characters on Disney channel and starting to come around. They brought him some toys to play with and the DVD player to watch movies while they arranged to transfer him to the regular floor. He had done extremely well in his recovery and the Endo was very happy and almost shocked he had come out of it so fast/well.

Once we got up to the regular floor, we settled in and Logan mostly slept still off and on. His poor little body needed to recover. Friday evening they decided to let him nurse for the first time. He literally nursed off and on for the next 12+ hours. Thankfully somewhere in the night his nurse decided to let us co-sleep instead of having me lean over the crib trying to nurse and sleep at the same time. Thankfully for the most part it seems like the nursing doesn't swing his levels too much, so we are able to nurse without shots at this point. Around 2am I was woken up to find him standing up in the crib wanting my attention. I got him settled back down and back to sleep.

Since he had kept the nursing/fluids down, on Saturday afternoon they decided to unhook his IV fluids and insulin and he got to eat his first meal and we got a crash course in giving shots and checking his blood sugars. Math has always been my strong suit, so I started catching on quickly as to the doses etc that they were giving based on what he was eating and the nurses were pretty amazed at how well I was doing in measuring and giving shots as well as getting his finger pricks done and the blood into the little spot on their test strips.

Sunday was a fairly average day, although boring. They continued to keep an eye on him and we were told we would go home on Monday. They had trainers and a dietitian come on on Monday to go over stuff with us and give us tons of stuff to take home and eventually we were on our way. We almost lost our little man and are extremely grateful to have him back to our new version of normal.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. otter005

otter005 Approved members

I've said in the past that being a nurse makes you "know too much" Not in this case. Maybe it was a case of denial.

Jillian was just over two when she was diagnosed. She was always very active, happy go lucky, full of energy type of baby and toddler. That never really changed. She had urinary reflux as a baby, and had corrective surgery on her bladder at 14 1/2 months. So when her diapers started becoming more saturated with urine, we (urologist and myself) assumed that her kidneys and bladder were functioning better. Looking back I bet we were seeing this increase urination about 3 months. We'd change clothes 2-3 times a day. I worked a 6p-2a shift at the hospital and would come home and find Jillian lying in the middle of the kitchen floor in a pool of urine that soaked through her diapers. She'd have a sippy cup in her hand that she'd gotten out of the dishwasher. She was always an eater and drinker. It was nothing for her to drink 6-8 glasses of milk a day. I was talking to a fellow nurse at work, who happened to previously work for Jill's Urologist. I mentioned Jill's symptoms and what the Dr. had said. She was the first to bring up the "D" word. I had been thinking some of that as well, but again denial.

That next day, I called her Ped. and talked to him about what I was seeing. Because of her bladder history, he also thought it was more related to that. He flat out said, "Jenn I don't think she has diabetes, but if she starts to get sick, spikes a temp, etc. call me back" At least we were on the same page. I LOVE my Ped. We have a working relationship, so it makes it very easy to talk to him. I waited another week. I brought some urine dip sticks home from the hospital and dipped Jill's urine myself. Loaded with glucose and ketones! I called my Ped back and the conversation went like this. We both laugh about it now.

Dr.: "Hey Jenn it's Rob, I got your message"
    Me: "Yeah I played the typical nurse and didn't listen to the Dr. What do you think?"
    Dr: "Not Good"
    Me: "That's what I said"

I think the only time I cried during this process was when my Ped walked into the room and the first thing he said was "I'm sorry" like it was his fault. He felt so bad. We were in the hospital for the weekend, and it has been a roller coaster ride since then. I still don't know if being a nurse helps or hinders.

10. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese was dx with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (stage 2) in June, 2008 at the age of 5. During his chemo (which included steroids), he ran high blood sugars and had to be put on insulin. We were told it was just temporary steroid-induced insulin resistance. His blood glucose returned to normal after the steroids were ended. He was found to be in full remission in August after 3 cycles of chemotherapy...and he did not need further treatment.

However, he lost weight after chemo, and had a very low energy level compared to before. I worried that the cancer was making a dreaded come-back. His appetite was low, he wet the bed a few times, and all of his body fat was gone by Christmas. I felt sick inside, and kept thinking about a possible relapse. One of his monthly Oncology blood draws was done in January....they called and said pack a bag, take him to ER, you'll be admitted, his bg is 450. I still thought cancer relapse and was terrified...when the endo came in and said type 1 diabetes and it's not related to the cancer, I almost hugged him. I think we are the only parents who have ever greeted this news with smiles and relief. It has taken a while to sink in...and we're not still happy about the type 1 dx, but we were that day. :cwds:

11. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Mike had been having migraine headaches for a few years, he would have to lay down and usually vomited, then he was OK. I don't know if this had anything to do with him developing D but it seemed as soon as his diagnosis and treatment began, the headaches subsided. The pediatrician never bothererd to check his sugar even tho we mentioned that he pees alot and gets bad migraines every time we saw him. Instead he referred us to a neurologist who made him have a brain MRI and put him on medication.

Anyway, when Mike was 12 in 7th grade he needed a physical for the school so he could play baseball so I took him to the pediatrician. Again, like every time we went there, I told him about the headaches and peeing alot. Finally the doc checked his sugar and the very next day we were admitting him to the hospital. That was on 5/10/2007. I thought about suing that pediatrician but what would that do? It wouldn't change the fact that he has diabetes.

12. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Zoee's story

My daughter Zoee was dioagnosed the day she turned 18 months and it will be a day that I will never forget b/c we come close to her being very sick.

Zoee had a lot of health problems when she was born. She had reflux that got caused herto severely aspirate when she swallowed anything thin. She was on all thickened liquids even water. We had to see a feeding specialist for her. She had to get tubes in her ears to stop all the er infection she was getting as well. It was right after she got her tubes in her ear that she started not to feel well or act different. She started to drink more, and wet her diapers so much that I was going through a pack of diapers a day. She started to sleep more and more. She was so cranky and screaming all the time. I was thinkng it was her reflux flaring up.

Then one day, our repsite worker said to me, Shannon, Zoee is losing alot of weight. I said no I think she is just growing longer. I put her on the sclae and saw that hs ehad lose 6 lbs in a 5 days. SH ewas just at the doctors the week beofre and was weight there. SHe was also that day, only woking up to drink a whole 8 oz bottle and then will go back to sleep. I called th feeding specialist b/c she was always helpful when it came to Zoee and helping me figure her out. I talked to the nurse and made an appointment for Zoee to see the feeding specialist on the Tuesday coming up.(It was a Friday when I called) Well, at 5 pm tha tevening as I am getting ready to go to work, the feeding specailist called me. She asked me what Zoee was doing. I explained the wanting a bottle every 3 seconds, screamimg all the time, wetting her diapers in large amounts, sleeping all the time. As well as she had lose 5 pounds in5 daysShe said to me, Shannon, I didn't think that it is but to be safe, why did you this weekend take Zoee in the fast track at he children's hospital and ask them to check her sugars? I saod ok tha ti would do thi an dsee her on Tuesday.

Well, I hang up the phone and said to my DH, Let's go now and get this problem solve. So we went.

When I explained to the nurse what was going on, she don't snd me tp fast track but the Er part of the hospital. I thoght we would be all vening b/c there was alot of children who were sick and I don't think Zoee was. We were caled in15 minutes. The nurse took us in to a room and got a monitor. She poked her finger and said to me, It is HI. I had no clue what that meant.
    She said it means Zoee more than likely has diabetes. I was shocked. They did more blood work on her and started an IV and gave her insulin right away which she started throwing up. The dr came in and talked to me. HE told me that we came in at the right time b/c she was becoming a very sick baby. She would not have made it to see the feeding specialist onTuesday.She was starting to go into DKA. I still had no idea what that was. I still had no idea that she had the diabetes where she would have to have her fingers poked daily or needles. I had to leave the room and call my DH and tell him that our litl egilr was type 1 diabetic and hse would be on needles for it.She was admitted in to the hospital for four days where we learned all about diabetes and what it would mean for Zoee.

That was a little over three yrs ago. We struggle every day with her sugars. They still are not in control and we are hoping at one day soon, we can get the doctors to say YEs to a PUMP!!!

13. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Kylie was dx because she kept wetting the bed. I googled "sudden bedwetting" and saw behavioral things as well as a UTI or D. I decided to go to the doctor to rule out the UTI (since it couldn't possibly be D) and then we could work full force on the behavioral part. Well the UTI was ruled out but not the D. I completely fell apart and was a complete mess when they called to tell us to pack our bags, she needed to go to the ER immediately. She still comments how much I cried while I was packing (I hope I haven't scarred her for life!!). Symptoms after the fact were extreme hunger and thirst, and no weight gain in a year. Her A1C was 12.3 and bg was 741 at dx. We stayed a few days to learn how to begin this new path in life.

Travis was just dx 2 days ago. He said he was going to the bathroom a lot. So I asked if he was drinking a lot more. He said yes. We got Kylie's kit to check him out. After 4 pokes (3 "hi's" and a 500) we called the doctor. Since he didn't have ketones we could go to the ER the next morning. His bg was 678 in the ER and A1C was 8.8. We caught it early.

14. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

The 2005 Basketball season had just ended, we had a perfect season. Everything was going well except during half-time I always spent my time in the bathroom. But of course you’re drinking a lot to stay hydrated. So no big thought…

A week later I started going to the bathroom non-stop, chugging down any type of liquid within a matter of seconds. So my mom decided to schedule an appointment because she thought I had the flu. The appointment was set for April 5th. I continued on that week as normal, we only had to go to school Monday-Wednesday because spring break was going to start Thursday. At school I spent the class changes between the bathroom and the water fountain, just trying to make sure I wasn’t late for class. And the only time I did feel well at school was at Gym. For that hour and a half I felt great, and then as soon as it ended it just felt worse than when I had started. Did my work at school, came home and just slept. I only got up for the bathroom, something to drink, or fruit (that was the only thing I could and wanted to eat). So I slept through the first 2 days of spring break. I think it was either Saturday or Sunday where I weighed myself and it said that I had lost 14 pounds. I slept through the weekend (BTW…it felt like you could never get enough sleep).

Monday (March 28th) came around; it was the last day of spring break. I went downstairs just to get a couple of bottle of waters, took me about 10 minutes to drink all of them. So I went downstairs, the water was gone, so I started on the gallon of milk, I drunk all of that, decided to eat some fruit. Then I felt like I needed something else to drink, the last thing in the house was soda, so I drunk 4 cans. And everything that I had just chugged down came back up. So I called my mom at work, told her that I just threw up, she told my sister to keep an eye on me. 30 minutes later she calls to tell me to get ready I have an appointment. So got to the doctor’s office, they said they needed a lab first before they started the appointment. Got the blood drawn, came back to the doctor’s office. Get weighed, I was down another 2 pounds. So they took my blood pressure, apparently it was high. So they needed me to stand up, I started crying because I felt like I was going to pass out if I kept standing. So then I go see the doctor, she immediately smells the ketones. And said where going to have to transport me via ambulance. I started to cry, and she called the EMTs while we were still sitting there and said we are going to need a transport, possible DKA. So they put in the IV while still in the doctor’s office, EMTs got there. They were the nicest people ever, they let me sleep in the back, they dimmed the lights. The EMT was talking to my mom. Got to one of the county emergency rooms took my blood sugar (HI) and said we aren’t equipped to deal with diabetes in a child. Luckily the EMTs hadn’t left yet, and they volunteered to drive to Walter Reed even though that was out of their range of service. So I went to WRAMC. Up to the pediatric unit. And the rest is just education, and trying to get rid of ketones. My mom was told if we would have waited till the 5th of April, there was a good chance that I wouldn’t have been here right now.

I missed that whole week of school, started on the 4th of April. Teachers made the comment that they didn’t realize anything different in me that week before. And something that a newly diagnosed parent would dread is that I had a field trip on the 7th, she did not go. I went low there and when I got back. The one there was handled well, the one in the actually nurses office was terrible I was 66 she treated it with 66 carbs. So of course I was in the 300s when I got home.

Almost 4 years later I've had so many experiences and made so many more friends through D, internet and real life. And for that I am grateful.

15. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I cut and pasted this from another thread....

It was the end of June and Tyler starting drinking tons of water, but it was hot so this made sense, at times he would suddenly need to eat RIGHT THEN, when I discussed this with friends they said there kids were doing the same thing, must be the extra activity with school being out. On the third of July Tyler and I went out on my parents sailboat with them, my mom kept saying that Tyler looked alot thinner than he usually did, but he had gotten a whiffle, and needed a tan everything had a reasonable explaination, but there was something nagging in my head, I almost called a friend whose daughter was diagnosed with diabetes a few years before and ask her some questions, but I felt like it would be insulting to her (now I realize how silly that thought was, but I felt like it would be trivializing what her daughter went through)anyways, the drinking kept going, and then of course he was peeing all the time too - but he felt fine and we just kept on going, then one night he wet the bed, and then got up and peed for what seemed like 5 minutes and then he was up drinking water and peeing for the night! I knew something was wrong, so I called his ped office first thing in the am asked to speak with a nurse, well one of the doctors got on the line and said "all the nurses are busy, can I help you?" I explained what was going on with the drinking and peeing, and he says "Sounds like it could be diabetes, bring him right in!" I was like "wait a minute!" the doctor kept asking questions, and I kept answering Yes. I was getting nervous at this point, and he kept saying "bring him in!" I knew we were in trouble when I gave his name at the front desk and was immediately called into the office! They had him pee in a cup and took some blood, and then came in and told me that yes he did have diabetes and would have to go into the hospital. (oh my goodness - I am actually crying while typing this, and I never cry about his diabetes) Tyler was so upset because we were suppose to go to our library and meet a local baseball team and get autographs, so he is crying about not meeting them and I am crying because he is crying and I am promising him that I will call them and he will meet them all at a game in a few weeks (anything to make my baby feel better) then he is totally fine, and just mad because he feels fine, so why do we have to go to the hospital. He stayed in the hospital for 1 week while we learned about diabetes, and how to do his shots etc. All in all his story is pretty boring, no illness, no feeling sick, just complete boredom at the hospital! btw - the baseball teams plane was delayed so they had to reschedule, so he got to meet them at the library after all.:D

ETA - Tyler has never missed a beat due to his diabetes, a week after getting out of the hospital he was back on the ice playing hockey and plays mutliple sports year round. He does all the stuff that a "typical" 10 year old boy does. He gets great grades and is in student council in school, has an abundance of really great friends that never think of him as any different than they are, but still "keep an eye out" for him. He has NEVER been excluded from a birthday party, outing, playdate, or any other activitiy due to his diabetes. We make diabetes fit into our lives, we don't let diabetes rule our lives.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  16. jadennjoclyn

jadennjoclyn New Member

2 weeks ago I took my 3 year old daughter to her peditrician because I thought she might of had a urinary tract infection because the night before she was using the bathroom more often then normal when they received the results from her urine they found glucose in her urine and wanted to do a blood test immediately they found that her blood sugar was a 316 they sent us home and she had to fast for 12 hrs retook her blood test and was only 97 so they said maybe it was just a sugar overload and 4 days later on friday it was 2 am and I just wanted to test her BS and the meter read 476 I called her pedatrician and she had us go to the ER where it was then that they refered us to an endocrinologist and they diagnosed her on Feb 15,2009

17. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Ambrea was diagnosed in summer of 2008. We were on vacation, camping about 300 miles from home. We were just relaxing around the camp fire reading and talking. Ambrea was drinking water from a 1 liter container, she down it in about a few minutes and said I am going to the restroom and fill up my water bottle, again.. this repeated several times over and over. I asked my Dh do you think our daughter is diabetic? She is looking thinner, has a fruity breath, the frequent thirst and urination. Dh stated her energy is good and she doesn't act sick so we pushed it out of our minds and besides I just had her in the Pediatrics office for a routine check up three weeks ago.
    Three days later, Amb was drinking often and running to the bathroom all during the day...very odd.
    We left early from the cabin, I just wanted to have her checked, because I knew something was wrong, thinking maybe a bladder infection. (No one in our family has type 1 diabetes) Ride home was horrific, stopping every 20 minutes to use the bathroom, I just wished we were home. Stopped at a Shopko with a walk in clinic....after three visits to the bathroom, I paid the small fee of $45 asked for a urinalysis test for UTI and asked if they could check for diabetes too. (my mom radar was on overdrive) Urine test came back +3 ketones +3 glucose...she could not diagnosed diabetes being an RN, She refused to do a BG test, the Shopko RN said go home an make an apt to see your MD for testing and stated it is a long process like weeks for a diagnoses. We left and I called our pediatric nurse and asked about the recent shopko test results..I really wanted that BG number...(ignorant about diabetes still) Our Nurse said the same thing as first....make an apt..long process. I didn't like her answer. Wanted to go home and My dh said the Fire dept can test her BG...Cell phone rings...1st Shopko nurse said we need a BG check(WTH?) :mad:I repeatedly asked for a Bg check!
    Her supervisor wanted us to stop at the next Shopko on route home.....okay this 4 hour trip is now 7 hours....We stopped again at another shopko dept store....a very friendly RN tested Ambrea's BG, she had a strange expression on her face when reading it, said she wanted to repeat the test.....THAT is when I knew....I went out of the op room to grab my Dh. Then the nurse very nicely explained that a 600 bg is serious and we need to go the ER at the hospital now. That is when I fell apart,:( Amb eyes watered up. i grabbed every brochure on diabetes at the clinic and headed over to the hospital (a regional hospital...) The Hospital didn't have us stay over night. She was not in DKA. Thank God! Weight loss of about 20 pounds and BG of 600, A1c 14% the MD figured she had start of diabetes for about 3 months from the a1c score. Amb gave herself insulin right from start figuring she needs to know this to stay healthy for the rest of her life. 12 hours later we are home.......mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted.
    what I learned is that not all professionals understand diabetes and know how to properly diagnose it, trust your mom/dad instincts. I wondered if I had not been camping and had access to a pc, I would of known how serious D was and that urgent medical attention was needed immediately.
    Some of life's lessons R learned the hard way!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I was diagnosed April 21, 2008.

About a week prior to my diagnoses I came down with a virus of some sort. I still don't know what the virus was, I would puke at random times(I would go 12 sometimes 24 hours between each one), had a fever(103), and just didn't feel good at all. The symptoms lasted about 5 days(started on Saturday, and by Wednesday I was feeling better). Once the virus started to pass, new...odd symptoms started to show up. Every day from that Wednesday I started to lose about 2-3 pounds a day. I was also incredibly thirsty, and was going to the bathroom every 30 minutes it felt like.

My parents thought the weight loss was maybe from the virus, so at the time they weren't worried. I ,on the other hand, was concerned. I knew I was eating, but every day I watched the pounds just go away(My pre-D weight was 129). Everything just wasn't adding up right.

By Friday, my brain felt in a fog. I remember telling my mom I just felt like I couldn't wake up, I had no energy. I thought maybe it was still the virus, and my body recovering from it...so I tried to ignore all the symptoms. In my heart though, I knew something just wasn't right. I was waking up every hour of the night not only to go to the bathroom, but also to drink.

On Saturday my sister, mom, and I went shopping at Gart Sports to pick up some new work out clothes. I was in the dressing room changing when my sister took notice of the weight loss. She asked me if I had lost weight(she noticed my protruding back bones), and I started crying right then. I knew I looked terrible, and I was hoping no one else would notice. That was the straw that broke the camels back, my mom decided I should go see the doctor on Monday.

Monday came, and I finally went in to see my Doctor at 4:30 in the afternoon. It didn't take her long to do the BG test. I told her my symptoms, and she almost immediately ordered it. I had lost 10 pounds at this point, and was down to 118 from my usual 129.

After doing a BG test the meter just read 'HI', so I knew it wasn't good(that and the muffled ‘uh oh’ my nurse let out as she left to get my Doctor). Apparently, they had never seen a 'Hi' before as they both started to go through the user manual trying to see what it meant. Once she got the answer, she had me wash my hands again and retest. Once again the meter said, 'HI.' My Doctor then had me do a urine blood glucose test to try and see how high, 'HI' was. It came back over a 1000. With that, I was sent downstairs to Children's(my Doctor office was connected to my local Hospital and a Children's ER). I called my Dad and brother who were on their way to a Colorado Rockies baseball game and told them what was happening. They turned around and were at the Hospital lightning fast. Amazingly, I was not in DKA, so I was able to just receive Lantus and Humalog that night(I believe it was 12 or 14 units of Lantus that night, and 12 units of humalog), and I was sent to the BDC the next morning. They didn't give me an exact number(well...I don't remember) but I do know my actual BG was in the 700's.

My fasting BG at the BDC was 399 the next morning(so the insulin the night before helped), and I did have large Ketones.

Once at the BDC, Diabetes boot camp started and I learned how to live the rest of my life.

19. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Alex was diagnosed just after his 4th birthday. In the months proceeding dx, Alex's behavior was overall that of a three year old. However, at times he would become so upset after waking from his nap that I would have to put him in the stroller and stroll around the block with him to get him to stop screaming. We had recently moved and I wondered what the neighbors had thought. In fact, one time, it was dusk and he screamed so loud that he scared a group of turkeys that were roosting in a tree above. The entire group let out a lound "gobble" that scared us both straight.

The weekend before his diagnoses, I noticed that he was drinking milk out of his sipee cup many times each day. I barely gave this a second thought and just figured it was a growth spurt. On Sunday morning I thought his breath smelled bad and brushed his teeth a second time. On Monday, I sent him to daycare and went off to work. At noon, the daycare teacher called and indicated that he had already peed 7 times and that she was concerned about him because the pee had been "full stream" each time. I said that I would make an appt that afternoon with his ped. The ped's office did not want to set the appt and questioned my judgement. I fell back on the daycare and indicated that he would not be allowed back in the next day if he didn't get checked out. Must have been mommy instinct to tell this white lie. When I picked him up at 4pm, the daycare teacher told me he had peed 17 times!!!! Now I was worried!!! On the way to the doctor's office, he was so hungry that he ate an entire Powerbar from my purse. At the office, he was immediately hanging out at the drinking fountain. I felt sure he was going to be positive. When we did the urine test, he peed so much that it nearly overflowed the specimin cup. I started to feel very uneasy. We carried out the cup and they dipsticked it in front of me. It was loaded with sugar and positive for ketones. They told me it was most likely diabetes but they would need a finger prick to validate. I set him on my lap for the finger prick. As they were lancing his finger, it dawned on me that he was going to have this disease and my tears began to flow. I did not want him to see me crying and felt very conflicted as to how to express myself and yet keep it together for him. His BG was HI. At four years of age, nothing was going to make sense. I remember keeping it really simple and telling him he would have to go to the hospital like Curious George who had swallowed the puzzle piece. I had forgotten my cell phone and had to call my husband from the phone in the nurses station at the ped. When he answered, I just said "he has it". I heard my husbands startled reaction and just gave him the facts. The doctor commented that Alex was the healthiest looking newly diagnosed pt he had seen. He was still starving and I asked the doctor if we could stop at McDonalds on the way to the hospital. He replied, "yeah--you can---he's not going to get any of it anyway." I remember not really liking his attitude even then. While waiting at the ER, Alex said, "mamma...I am sooo tired" and layed his head in my lap. I noticed then that the skin on his arms was starting to flake. I didn't know then that this was from dehydration. His BG was 550. The first evening in the hospital he spiked a fever at 2am and was MISERABLE. They tested him the following morning and he tested positive for strep throat. The first two days were very bad as he was almost unconsolable and it seemed like several times a day they kept coming in to draw labs. After four days we went home and started our journey. After learning how complicated everything was, I asked if he could stay in the hospital until he was 18, but the answer was no. Alex has adjusted beautifully and really does not recall life without diabetes.

20. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm sure I've posted this before but I can't find it.

By August of 2006, I had been sick for a very long time. I had just completed my freshman year of college, with great success, but I'd been throwing up frequently for months. I was having increased problems with bedwetting and insomnia, had been losing weight steadily for two years, was very tired, and seemed to be getting progressively weaker. I was very very nearsighted. I had sought help for my problems and had been told that I was suffering from depression, which I suppose was true.

In August of 2006, I became short tempered and mean. My health problems all seemed to be getting worse and worse. I wondered if there might be something really wrong with me. I wondered if I was dying. Other people's comments on my health were getting more and more concerned, and in early August I asked my parents to make an appointment for me to see a doctor.

My mother searched for a doctor carefully. We wanted one who would see a 17 year old autistic, who would not dismiss me as crazy. We'd had bad experiences with the previous two doctors I'd seen. Through a friend, we got a referral to a doctor at the University of Illinois Medical Center, and an appointment for 2:45 on Friday, September 1.

On the first, my mother was disappointed when I couldn't walk to the train station and we had to take a bus to the train. After we got off the train, it was all I could do to waddle after my mother, "Wait for me, wait for me." I used the bathroom three times in the hospital before we saw the doctor. My mother spent a while telling the doctor about my medical and psych history. I was asked for a urine sample. A few minutes later, the doctor came back triumphant. There was a lot of sugar in my urine, she said.
    We did a glucose fingerprint then. It hurt a lot. The meter said Beep beep beep 425. I had not yet eaten that day. The doctor said that since I was 17, I probably had type 2 diabetes. She gave us a prescription for liquid metformin. I asked her if that would make me feel better, and how long it would take. She said by Monday. I felt relieved. After that I had my blood drawn. It took them two pokes to get a vein. I got a tasmanian devil bandaid. We took the train to the bus. My mother cried and cried. We went to a couple of pharmacies but they didn't have liquid metformin. I went home and my mother went out to the suburbs to a pharmacy with liquid metformin.

While my mother was out, the doctor called, hysterical. She said she was sorry, she was wrong. I probably had type 1, she said, and I needed to go to the hospital right away and she was going to call ahead to whichever ER I chose because I needed to be on an insulin drip right away. I asked if it could wait another day. She said no, I'd be in a coma if I waited any longer.

I went to the hospital with my father. They were waiting for me and stuck me right away. It took a lot of tries to get a vein. My blood sugar on their meter was 375, but it was 453 by the lab. My cpeptide was half the bottom of their normal range. My pH was in the moderate ketoacidosis range. Almost none of my blood work was normal because the ketones crowded out everything else. They said they didn't have the staff to deal with me, and just past midnight I was loaded onto an ambulance and sent to the Children's hospital. Children's had requested that they put a second IV in me, but they gave up after two tries. The guys in the ambulance said not to worry, most of the people they gave rides to had diabetes, and they were almost all type 2s. Everybody was nice to me up to that point, impressed about me being alert and a seventeen year old college sophomore.

Children's was no fun at all. They held me for four more days (I begged and pleaded to go home). It took them three tries to put in my second IV. The pediatric endocrinologist was gruff. She said that despite what everybody'd said, she thought I probably had type 1, and that we would proceed on that assumption until the antibody tests came back. The blood tests showed that my A1c was over 16%. When the antibody tests came in, the ICA 512 and GAD 65 were positive; the ICA 512 more than fifty times the upper limit of normal, and the GAD 65 four times the upper limit. The Insulin Antibody was negative. The cpeptide that Children's ran came back 0, when my blood sugar was 193. My vision on insulin underwent dramatic change and my glasses prescription was much too strong.
    I was started on NPH and Novolog but after two weeks switched to Lantus and Novolog.

As a sort of where I am now, I have stayed on Lantus and Novolog. My vision settled down after about two months. I did not experience a honeymoon. My blood sugar has been better than anybody predicted, despite the lack of honeymoon. The adult endo helped me to take over all of my own care. Many sensory issues I had thought were simply autism resolved after I went on insulin. Unfortunately, the stress caused memory loss a few months after insulin, and many of my memories are probably gone for good. On the plus side, that ended many years of flashbacks too.
    My diabetes diagnosis prompted me to seek medical and psychological attention for other problems of mine. My parents have had a very hard time coming to terms with who and what I am. The stress of dealing with my family's hostility as well as figuring out diabetes has been very difficult on me. My performance in activities of daily living suffered during the first year. Since then, I've functioned fairly well. I get tired more easily and I sleep more than I used to, but otherwise I do well.
    I am in my senior year of college and I expect to graduate in November. I will turn 21 a couple of weeks before I graduate :D