advertisement

Diagnosis in college

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Megnyc, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Was anyone here diagnosed with diabetes while in college? Do you have any advice on how to support someone who was?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No.

But as a mom in college, I guess the advice would be dependent on what type of college student they are? What type of support they have? Do they have the basic supplies.? Do they understand their daily care?

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was in college- it was right before my sophomore year that I was diagnosed, and I got out of the hospital the night before the fall quarter started.

But I was a commuter student. I never lived in the dorms, and part of the time I lived with my family and for some of the time I lived on my own (really on my own, not with friends).

My vision was kinda screwy for a couple of months after I was diagnosed. It fluctuated really rapidly as my eyes changed back. I talked to somebody in the office of students with disabilities and that was helpful. I talked to all of my fall class professors about it and sat in front to try to see stuff.

I rented a locker for my sophomore through senior years, to keep extra supplies in, mostly. That was really helpful. I was kind of put out to discover that my glucagon was gonna be no help whatsoever 'cause nobody was gonna use it- oh well.

I had had trouble with my summer courses 'cause I was falling apart at the end and I flunked one because I didn't turn in my final paper 'cause at that point I was a mess. I retook the course in the fall and the professor was really understanding- I got an A the second time around.

It was really a rough time for me, that year. I met a few other students with diabetes but it seemed like they all had been dealing with it for forever and didn't see it as the very big struggle that it was for me that year. I mean, I was still on the phone with the CDE and my vision was still wonky and I fell asleep on the bus and missed my stop just about every day on the way home.

Advice for support... just be there. And keep being there. And be patient if the person seems like a mess.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

He is a pretty normal college student here. Heavy and difficult courseload and lots of drinking and partying on the weekends.

His parents live on the other side of the country so they are not really a source of support. I don't think they really understand the gravity of the diagnosis. He does have basic supplies, he is doing MDI right now. He understands what needs to be done but I am not sure he does everything that needs to be done.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks. He is having a really rough time here. It is just such a change for him. He mentioned being interested in a pump since he hates shots so maybe that will motivate him a bit.

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

A friend from High School was diagnosed at 20 (I think). I only knew because I'd mentioned my daughter and he said he had it too. He said he had a really really hard time and still struggles.

I think it would be harder than the younger kids because he's used to not having it, and it's a major curve ball that changes everything.

I hope he gets some support and things work out for him.

7. deenamathew

deenamathew Banned