- advertisement -

Diagnosed Today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahC, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Welcome to the forum - I think you'll find a lot of useful information here! My son was also three when diagnosed. Now, six years later, he's a bright, active normal nine year old kid.

It'll seem overwhelming soaking in all the information at first, but like the OP said, take it one meal, one shot, one day at a time. We actually took a summer vacation only one month after Jacob was diagnosed (I remember asking the doctor if we even could!) - you'll get into the routine before you know it, a NEW normal I suppose.

Stephanie, mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM-Revel since 12-10

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was 3 when diagnosed. Now he is 17. It does get better and you do learn how to incorporate diabetes into your life. Your son will do fine -- kids are highly resilient.

I was overwhelmed at first, but read and read and read about what we were dealing with. Be patient with yourself while you learn.

At the time, the CWD site was smaller and I read every page and every question to the expert. This forum didn't exist.

3. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. It really will be okay. How any of us does this is by taking it a day or moment at a time, and looking for / finding support. Your son was diagnosed yesterday, and you're already here (it took me months to find this place, and more to join...), which says you - and your son, really are going to be just fine.

Thinking of you, and hoping you can allow yourself to get some sleep. Part of doing this is taking care of yourself, too. Welcome to the forum, the people here are truly amazing.

4. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Welcome to CWD, though I'm very sorry for your son's diagnosis. I'm glad you found this forum so quickly. I've found it to be tremendously helpful. Those first few months were very difficult for us but we made it through and now our lives are pretty "normal". We had a lot of hand-holding from our diabetes team. I think I called every few days in addition to faxing logs weekly. Also, the knowledge on this board is amazing. There's so much that I've learned from here that I never would have gotten anywhere else, including my diabetes team. :cwds:

5. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

It is overwhelming and scary but remember your not alone. The real people in you life my not understand this is a common occurrence so don't get totally stress at this. Just remember you can always come here and vent or ask advice.

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Your poor thing, you are going to feel like you've been hit by a truck. But I promise everyone here understands exactly how you feel and what you are going through.

More importantly, everyone here can testify that EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY. Your son will be fine, he will grow up happy and healthy and doing everything every other child can do. It's just a lot to take in right now and takes some getting used to.

It's absolutely overwhelming at first, and the hospital is going to throw a ton of info at you right now - more than anyone can absorb in such a short time. So be kind to yourself, and don't worry if you feel overwhelmed because you will get the hang of this a lot sooner than you think!

Welcome to CWD, there are wonderful people here 24/7 who can help you with anything you need.

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We are here for you. It is ok to feel sad, scared,overwhelmed, angry. As suggested earlier, take lots of notes. There is no question that is too "dumb" to ask, so ask many. It is a very steep learning curve in the beginning, but you will learn.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We've all been there . . .

That's the greatness of this forum. Everybody has been there.

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and is now 4 1/2. It is a learning process - I still learn new things every day, and children don't go by the book.

My only reassurance is that your child can do things regular kids do. My son goes to preschool, plays tball and soccer, and eats birthday cake and ice cream. You just have to make small adjustments.

Don't get frustrated - come here for advice. The one thing I struggled with over the first few months was that my son was hungry a lot. I just decided to let him eat and give him the insulin for it. THe ENDOs are great, but they don't live with toddlers 24/7 like people here do.

Lots of prayers -

9. SarahC

SarahC Approved members

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It has been a very long day, but Ethan is home with us now. I was nervous about him coming home so soon, but we have to start this journey at some point. So we start now. I will order that book, it looks like a great resource. Thank you for taking the time to welcome me and reassure me, it has given me a measure of peace.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, you start now ;) Good luck! Try not to be afraid and post questions as needed. We've all been there, we all remember.:cwds:

11. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Welcome aboard! Sorry you have to be here with us, but you've found a great place.

I just want to reassure you: YOU CAN DO THIS! I know it might seem right now like you can't, but eventually, you will be amazed at how much you learn and absorb and do.

Everyone else has already given great advice, so I'll just leave it at that and send (((hugs))). It's going to be okay. Really, it will.

12. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

IT IS GOING TO BE OKAY. Not as simple as it would have been without diabetes, but totally doable and he has equal access to a long healthy life as everyone else. My son was 3 years old at diagnosis and 15 years old now and is doing well. I think the most important thing I learned, other than the nuts and bolts of taking care of him, is to not react emotionally to the numbers. They feel when you are are angry, frustrated, etc and will think you are feeling that about them personally.

13. Bear

Bear Approved members

I found the local support group to be most helpful. It's reassuring to meet and interact with normal parents and kids doing normal play dates, just with a meter in their back pockets. Where do you live? Most decent sized cities should have some sort of group. The JDRF is a good place to look as well.

14. SarahC

SarahC Approved members

We are near Albany, NY. I guess one of the local hospitals has a support group. I do plan on joining, but I haven't really gotten that far yet. I think at this moment I am just so tired. I am afraid to sleep, afraid he will go low. We are only suppose to check him at 10pm and 2am and its not that I want to stick him more, but he woke up at 68 this morning. They are already discussing putting him on a pump. I just don't even really know what questions to ask. I am trying so hard, but this is just so hard. I feel like I have lost my baby to needles and pain.

15. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I don't think there is such a thing as only supposed to check him at certain times. If you feel you need to check him more, then do it. You'll learn what his body is doing, how he reacts to corrections, bolus, or whatever.

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Test him as much as you would like. More than one an hour doesn't give you that much more data.

17. TimO

TimO Approved members

Sarah - It will be ok. My son was dxd 10 days after his third b-day. Right now, he's a happy, healthy 9 year old and is at the movie (Dolphin Tale) with a buddy. He just called me with his blood sugar reading. I cried buckets every day we were in the hospital while water soaked me in the shower. I couldn't believe my son was dealt this hand; but three months later he was on a pump and he's become so responsible. Spoil yourself and him. Let this be your time of bonding and learning the new "normal."

18. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

You haven't lost your baby--I promise. You've just brought him home from the hospital all over again. If you were anything like me, you felt overwhelmed and underprepared when you brought your newborn home from the hospital the very first time. It didn't take long to deal with the new responsibilities and new worries, though. This is much the same. Everything is unfamiliar, and nothing is the way you thought it would be, but it will all become routine. He is so young that he will adapt quickly and will not remember life before diabetes.

For the week after diagnosis, my 2.5 year old got upset with every check and shot. Then, he got used to the shots, but still cried at checks. Within a month, though, if he saw me coming toward him with the meter, he would hold up a finger while playing with his cars with his other hand! There is no doubt that needles and lancet pokes are uncomfortable at best. On the other hand, pain does not rule our household; neither does unhappiness. If you could hold him down for long enough to get a straight answer out of him, I'm pretty sure my kid would tell you that having to take a nap, leave the playground, and eat squash are all more upsetting than dealing with BG checks and insulin pump site changes!

For now, check when you feel you need to. Ask questions when you want to. Take things one step at a time, and don't worry about three weeks, three months, or three years from now. You will know different things and have a different outlook as the days go by, so what seems overwhelming now will be manageable then. Don't worry about the pump right now. It is a great tool, and you may very much want to get him on it soon, but you don't have to make any decisions today. You will acquire the knowledge you need to ask good questions as you go along. Keep talking to your doctor, and keep posting questions here. People will be more than happy to give you input.

Good luck!

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is not their desicion, it is yours. You do what you are comfortable with.

20. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

3 Months into this...and I can truly say...it is going to be okay and get better.. I'm not running on scared and panic anymore...I will always hate this disease for robbing him of "normal"...but he is handling his amended normal super well...soccer......school activities,....math club...he is embracing life as ever... Does he get depressed about this....yes, but he deals and we move on...Life will get easier...Big hugs..so sorry you had to join us...take it one day at a time...and trade off for some sleep with your spouse while you do those nightly checks...