- advertisement -

Diagnosed Today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahC, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SarahC

SarahC Approved members

My son is 3 and was diagnosed I guess yesterday morning (I haven't slept). I am so overwhelmed and scared. I am not sure what I am looking for, maybe just some reassurance that it is going to be ok. How do you do this?

2. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

It's going to be ok, there is a lot to learn but after almost 4yrs since my daughter was dxd, she is healthy, happy and diabetes has become not the most important thing about her. Getting dxd is the first step towards your son feeling better. I'm so sorry you have to be here, but welcome, this is a great community.

3. SarahC

SarahC Approved members

Thanks Amy. I am on my way back to the hospital to meet with the education team. It is going to be a long day.

4. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. My dd was diagnosed at age 3 too and it was completely overwhelming. I didn't think we would ever feel "normal" again. She's 9 now and like a previous poster said, diabetes isn't her defining characteristic. I'd say her sassy attitude is :rolleyes: It's a lot to take in all at once, and it takes time to get used to your new routine, but it does become a part of your life. You will hate diabetes at times, but there will also be times when you don't think about it much at all. It really helps to talk to a family who has "been there" and see their child living life like any other kid does. Maybe your hospital or endo can hook you up with such a family.

5. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Sarah - you know how they say that babies and toddlers are sponges - learning, and soaking everything in?? - that's what you'll be too, and just like an infant - you'll learn and grow and this WILL become easier!
    My bestest advice - be a great sponge!! :D Hang in there my friend!

6. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

It is going to be okay, and it is scary right now. And Overwhelming, nervewrecking, and a dozen other emotions that are surely racing inside of you. Take a deep breath, grab a notebook and take a lot of notes. You and your son are going to be just fine, before you know it, this will become your normal. And Welcome!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My dd was 4 at dx and I remember driving home from the hospital with my bag of syringes and insulin and wanting to chuck the whole thing out the window of the car and watch it disappear under the wheels of a truck. ;)

It's a steep learning curve but you'll do what you need to do, and learn what you need to learn to keep your child safe and well.

CWD is a great resource, but it may be like trying to drink from a fire hydrant at first. Meet with the CDE and the Drs. Take good notes, bring another pair of eyes and ears if you can and order a copy of this book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0V9SB80W4A66496YXEGH There is also a 3rd US edition with a blue and white cover which is almost identical and cheaper.:cwds:

8. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

It will certainly be OK, all you need is knowledge, and love. It may seem like a mountain right now, but I guarantee things will get better. It is a good thing you discovered this site, it made a heck of a difference when I was a newbie and it still does.

We have all amassed a lot of experiences from our kids, and are here 24/7 to help with any advice or tips you may need, just ask!

I would recommend Ragnar Hanas's book "Type 1 Diabetes" as a great source of infoalso .
    http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Children-Adolescents-Adults-Health/dp/1859592309/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I well remember feeling overwhelmed by everything. I was so afraid of doing something wrong and it seemed so unclear on what, exactly, the right thing was all the time.

You CAN do this! It's all confusing right now, but it will begin to make more and more sense as each day passes and you will amaze yourself at how well you will be doing.

How is your son feeling? Is he in the hospital?

10. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I know its scary. my son is almost 3 and diagnosed 4 weeks ago. It was terrifying. I had days where I was in denial, days I was mad and days I couldnt stop crying. I still have them 4 weeks later, but not as frquently. Dont be afriad to ask questions about anything! I email my sons nurse probably daily with questions and they expect that! Its a LOT to take on. Check out for support groups in your area as well! I havent been to one yet, but I plan on it next month. Your son wil adjust to it. My son is already doing his own "finger pokes" and doesnt fight his shots at all. The first couple of weeks we had to hold him down to both. Dont be suprised if your sons numbers are all over the place the first few weeks. We have been adjusting our lantus since day 1 and I think we are finally at the right dose. Everyone is different so it might take a little tweaking.
    Good luck with meeting with the education team today. It will be overwhelming, but just take a deep breath and take notes if needed. Like I said, they expect you to ask questions constantly. Thats how we learn :)

11. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Welcome, sorry you have to be here but glad you found this forum so quick!!

oh, I know exactly how you feel. I didn't sleep or eat. For the first week I spent my days and nights wondering what her BG was (every minute of the day and night), planning meals (second guessing my food choices:confused:), and reading everything I could find (not remembering half of what I read because I was so tired and stressed:eek:). I kept thinking, how am I going to do this? What if I do something wrong? I would not let her out of my sight...yes, I even watched her sleep. I was a mess:(

Once I realized, I can do this I have to (the pink panther book and this forum helped so much) Every day started to get a little easier and our NEW routine fell into place.

You can do this. It will get easier... It will be ok.

12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

It will be okay.:cwds:

You are going to have a TON of information thrown at you and you are going to feel completely overwhelmed, but it gets easier, trust me. Take it one test, one shot, one meal at a time and it will become a new normal for you.

Keep in touch with the doctors office, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and remember IT WILL BE OKAY!!!:cwds:

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Think Like A Pancreas really helped me. I hated the helpless feeling of not understanding what the nurses were seeing when they were change her doses. Reading it made me feel like I knew how to care for my child again.

The first three months seem to be the hardest. Then it begins to feel like a new normal. Not a wanted new normal, but not the conscious thinking and awareness of every detail. In short time, your gut instinct will really help you out. The grief monster raised its head for me at 6 months (major sickness) and at the one year anniversary.

14. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh honey! Coming here is exactly the right first step:cwds: My Steven was 3 years and 4 months when I took him to the pediatrician. He had been drinking alot and peeing alot and just seemed so tired all the time. I wanted it to be a kidney infection or something that he could take a pill for. I will never forget the feeling I had when the doctor came in and said that there was glucose in his urine, alot of it:( It was the feeling of being kicked in the stomach, very hard.

I will tell you right now and this is a promise. It WILL be ok:cwds: Maybe not today or tomorrow. You will still have those feelings of being overwhelmed and scared. You will hate diabetes, you will hate poking your son's fingers and giving him shots and youll probably go to the bathroom to cry afterwards. For now be patient and gentle with yourself. You can do this;) The endo and diabetes team are there to help and so are we. Lean on them and us.

My son is 10 now. He is a very smart boy. He is in the talented and gifted program at school and is an honor student. He loves making things with duct tape. He also loves fireworks and making home made survival kits out of Altoid tins. As another regular poster says "Diabetes is the least interesting thing about my kid" What once overwhelmed me is now a part of my life and his and we work it into our busy, interesting lives. You will too;)

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

You have found a great place to get information and comfort. My son was 2.5 when he was diagnosed, and it has been nearly a year since then. He is happy and healthy, and our lives no longer revolve around diabetes the way they did at first. It will get easier, so just roll with the punches until you start to get a handle on things.

Don't be afraid to ask a million questions while you are in the hospital. Don't be afraid to ask the same million questions three times in a row, either. When you are upset, tired, and in shock, you don't take information in like you normally do. The staff will understand this, so don't feel like you are bothering people or wasting their time.

Good luck over the next few days. The first days really are the worst, so bear with them and look for light at the end of the tunnel.

16. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

So sorry you're going through this. What you're feeling is still pretty fresh in my mind and I can tell you that you've found a great place right away. You'll have lots of questions and the nice people here never seem to tire of answering them (I've tested them well:eek:) The only advice I can give is don't hesitate to constantly ask your endocrinologist/educator questions. I still do. It'll be okay.

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. But I promise, I promise, it will be ok. There's a lot to learn and a lot to do and you WILL. I swear. At some point, you and your child will not even think about D sometimes and may even laugh about D stuff--I bet you can't imagine laughing now. :( But I swear you will--like the first time you ask your 10 yr old "Are you high?" in public. :p We all laugh eventually. :)

Right now, just paste a smile on your face for the sake of your child and try to absorb what the nurses say. Approach it matter of factly with your baby. Just say, "Your body isn't making inuslin, which everybody needs to grow, so we are going to give it to you this way to keep you safe and so you grow big and strong. We also have to test your blood sugar before you eat so you can be a big healthy boy." Then without apology, do what you have to do. If he cries say, "I kow it's uncomfortable, but I think it will get a lot better soon. You are doing such a good job and I'm super proud of you!!!!" And give lots of kisses and praise.

It will get batter. :cwds:

18. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Sorry that you had to find us, but welcome. It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed and scared right now Just know that it will be ok. Each test, each day, diabetes management becomes easier. One day you will wake up and just start your day with testing your son while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. Then comes the day that you are on the phone, testing your child, and fixing lunch all at the same time. My son was diagnosed at 13 months and now he is a happy, healthy, super active 3 year old. He does everything a normal 3 year old does. In the mean time, take everything day to day, and be sure to say no to anything that is not important.

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

Welcome to CWD, although we're sorry you have to be here. I found CWD while my son was still in the hospital as well and it was of great help in the first few months. (Actually, it is STILL of great help after 5 years. :cwds:)

It is going to be very overwhelming in the beginning, but remember you are NOT alone and we are all here to help you in any way we can. :cwds:

20. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

So sorry for your son being diagnosed..It will be okay..You will learn how to do this..Before long you will be able to teach a class on Diabetes..I remember all to well the beginning 4 years ago, my son was 5 when he was diagnosed.Your heart sinks and you feel confused lost and don't know what the heck to do, or which way is up for that matter..I know that it don't seem like it right now, but it will get better..It will take time but you guys will adjust..good luck I hope today goes well with learning some things..Welcome to the forum.:cwds: