- advertisement -

Diagnosed on 8/30/12

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hamsdad, Sep 2, 2012.

1. hamsdad

hamsdad New Member

My 10 year old son was diagnosed Thursday with type 1, we dealt with our first low last night after dinner. He was outside playing about 1 hour after dinner and came in saying his legs were shaking. My concern is today he has a football game, should I give some carbs before hand without dosing for them?

2. natallia

natallia Approved members

Yes, depending on his bg before the game you should give him a little snack of 15 carbs or so and also test at least once thru the game. This will give you an idea how much his bg can drop because of the activity.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Remember that insulin peaks and when it does you are most likely to see a low. We try to avoid going into serious sport with active insulin on board. Don't always get it to work out that way, but we try.

For the game you might want him to have little uncovered snack, and make sure he has juice/tabs there on the sidelines if he needs them.

Good luck :cwds:

4. hamsdad

hamsdad New Member

Thanks for the reply. Everything is so overwhelming, its hard to remember everything. I have 4 diff log books running just to try and keep track.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Wow! We were still in the hospital that soon after dx. An uncovered snack is a good idea, something with protein.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Don't hesitate to contact the pediatric endocrinologist and staff with your questions - you are not expected to figure all of this out on your own. Big hugs to your entire family!

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

If he is exercising within a short amount of time of eating, you could bolus a 1/2 less.
    As my son plays soccer, I also always give him 15c of protein before..usually tube of yogurt 13c works for him...

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes, you should always do that before exercise.

What type of insulin is he using?

9. hamsdad

hamsdad New Member

Thanks to everyone who has responded. His game was at 4:45 pm today , so I fed him lunch around 1:30 around 45 grams of carbs and high protein and then dosed his humalog as normal. We arrived at the field around 3 due to my younger son having a game, at 4pm I checked him and he was 135. I went ahead and gave him a power bar and then checked him after 1st and 2nd quarter. Both times he was around 186. He also takes lantus 1 time a day. I stayed on the sidelines and kept an eye on him and everything seemed ok. He said he never felt tired or weak, so I was pleased with how everything went with the first game after the diagnosis.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi, sorry you had to join us, but glad you found this site so quickly.

Our experience with football is that the adrenaline made my son go "higher" vs "low"... but YDMV (your diabetes may vary). The best advice would be to check your son every now and then to see how this exercise affects his blood sugar.

Good luck to you...

Kathy

11. Deal

Deal Approved members

If he was real excited to play and had a good amount of adrenalin pumping through him that can help keep him from going low. You may find he needs more carbs during the game mid-season when the adrenalin rush isn't quite the same. Also, if he eats closer to game time and has insulin active you may find it takes around twice as many carbs for the same amount of insulin still active once he starts playing. Then after a really draining game you may find he needs uncovered carbs for the next couple hours.

Those are observations I have had and they match what the books suggest is 'normal'

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Sounds like the power bar was just about right, for today anyway! Next keep in mind that BG often drops very low overight after strenuous activity. Most (not all) of the time it is necessary to lower overnight basal, or in your case, possibly reduce the lantus amount. Since we use a pump I'd leave it to others here to recommend the specifics. But at the least, check his BG every couple of hours overnight after a big game.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Welcome, and sorry you have to join us.:( Sounds like you did a terrific job today! Hang in there...with each new experience you will gain confidence...and your son will see that he can do anything, even though he now has D.

Hope his team won!:)

14. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I agree with the check him overnight advice!! Also, when my ds came home from the hospital his recommended nightly dose of Lantus was way too high. I had to call the endo every few days because of lows and they would tell me to reduce it a few units. We started out at about 25units per night and finally got down to about 9 after a few weeks. Just thought I would mention it because exercise plus the possibility he may be getting a little too much insulin since he was just recently diagnosed can lead to some lows.