- advertisement -

Diagnosed in November and soo tired

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My 10 yr old was diagnosed in November. The dark circles under his eyes are awful, he is tired often. We are seeing his endo tomorrow but I've asked about it before and they didn't have any answers.
    I am checking him at night, but he sleeps through it and has been getting the same amount of sleep he always has. Getting out of bed is a process now, whereas before he was an early riser. I can't imagine this is all due to being diagnosed and dealing with the adjustment, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone else experience this?

2. sheila1128

sheila1128 Approved members

My son Riley is 10 also and was dx 7/12/11. He too is often tired - more so than pre-d. My guess is it is from his body fighting the ups and downs of BG. It becomes more pronouced with my guy when he is fluctuating wildly. Some days all he wants to do is sleep.

I'm interested to see what other input members have about this...

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

My son, 7, was DX'd almost two years ago and I could have written your post. He always looks so tired and I hate seeing the black circles under his eyes. Like you, he doesn't wake up when I test in the middle of the night and gets the same amount of sleep as pre-DX.
    Sheila has an interesting theory.

I had my son checked for thyroid, but it was within range.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

His thyroid has been checked, right?

How sick was he at diagnosis? I was really, really sick and it took several months before I fully recovered and got less tired, etc. That said, BG fluctuations do make me quite tired sometimes. Particularly if I'm high overnight or have a particularly bad low, I do need a bit of extra sleep.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, definitely check for thyroid, also have iron levels checked. I would ask if a full panel was done in the hospital and if so, review it with you. Ask the doctor if any tests might have not been done that should be done now. How is his appetite?
    My daughter had the dark circles for a few weeks after diagnosis, but once she started gaining the weight back, and sleeping more soundly (pre-diagnosis she was having issues).

The body has gone through a major upset, and it does take time to rebound.

6. mysweetwill

Thanks, we are going to our endo tomorrow and I will ask to go over all the labs. He was diagnosed at a different office, and I sent the initial labs over to them, but in reviewing them myself, it does not look like his thyroid was checked. I am just not sure what all the codes and abbreviations mean on these records.

He was not hospitalized at diagnosis, he was in school the next day, so I guess in the realm of things he wasn't extremely sick at diagnosis. He also doesn't have wild highs and lows so while I understand his body is going through a tremendous amount of adjusting, my gut tells me there is something else going on.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

How is he dealing with the diagnosis emotionally? Emotional issues can cause exhaustion and disrupted sleep - just wanted to throw that out there. I hope you can find the answer.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Dark circles under my son's eyes is one of the tell tale signs he's off somewhere or was and is still trying to come back from it. My son is 10 and he has thyroid Antibodies so, we check him more often to make sure this isn't causing the fatigue.

When he was diagnosed he was 7 and he had lost weight but, his body was swollen. His kidneys were shutting down and we had no idea. He was very tired for a few months and slowly the swelling went away and we saw just how thin he had gotten.

He didn't become diabetic over night although sometimes it seems that way. His body had been attacking itself for a while before it couldn't fight itself any more. I tend to think that the amount of time it took for the pancreas to shut down enough to elicit diagnosis is related to the time it takes for the kids to feel better again.

9. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

The codes on the blood work sheet for thyroid would say Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct and Triiodothyronine (T3) and TSH.

10. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

My son was just recently diagnosed also and he too is very tired all the time. At our first visit after the hospital, we told the doctor about him being so tired. They checked his thyroid and also checked him for celiac disease. They both came back negative. But he is still really tired. I think in our case it is probably both his body still trying to catch up after being so sick and also the emotional toll he is under.

11. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My middle daughter has some kind of dysautonomia that seemed to develop at the same time my youngest was diagnosed with diabetes -- part of me wonders if there was a common viral trigger. Probably way off, but the cardiologist told me extreme fatigue was sometimes a symptom. Also, her problem is blood pressure regulation which means she's short on oxygen at odd times, I used to think she had dark circles and a pale face but in retrospect, she was probably getting a bit blue in the face from the oxygen deprivation. Gatorade every morning made all the difference (high salt raises blood volume). Just a thought.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Just one more note, Selah gets dark circles and tired with lows, so do make sure you don't have undetected lows going on. Some people think some kids can rebound, I believe Selah does, so you don't know about a low if you don't catch it before the rebound but it can still affect your well-being.

13. mysweetwill

Endo went over labs today and thyroid was tested, negative. She asked about allergies and in fact, he used to get the dark circles when he was younger before he started Zyrtec for his seasonal allergies. He only takes the Zyrtec in the spring and fall but perhaps this strangely mild weather has extended " his allergy season". Or of course it could just be the physical and emotional drain of being newly diagnosed. Thank you all!

On a bright note, his A1C is down to a 6.6, from a 10.7 at diagnosis 2 mos ago. It's funny how happy that made me, after all he's been through, this little number I know will bring many emotions down the road, for now, I'll keep the happy it gave me a little longer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  14. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

My daughter was also very tired (drained really) after diagnosis. I'd try to be flexible about commitments right now until he seems to get his energy back. He will be able to participate in all the activities any kid enjoys, but if he's especially tired now it might be good to take it easy. Lauren even missed some school days just to have a day in her PJs to play with Legos and rest ("mental health days" :->). It is an emotional, as well as physical, adjustment that he's going through.

15. momofone

momofone Approved members

Allergies can definitely cause dark circles. They are called allergic shiners. Sorry about your diagnosis and rough time.

16. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Connor has taken a D day I call it:p. If he has had a rough night or a roller coaster day and the next day I can see it on his face then I will keep him home to help him recuperate from the stress it put on him. Our Endo is not one to suggest allowing this but, he's not going to get much out of the school day if he can't focus on the work anyway.

17. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

heck, I think we all need mental health days sometimes! Ella was two when she was diagnosed and I had her baby brother 3 weeks later so she had TWO BIG adjustments in her life happening at once--a new baby, and diabetes. She was just more moody, drained and sensitive for several months after. The hardest part was her not understanding why Mom and Dad had to hurt her everyday. It was a massive adjustment for all of us, physically and emotionally. I say it took her about 6 months or so before she felt like herself again. Hang in there, and I hope he starts feeling better soon!

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

As far as allergies & a new diagnosis, I think they can go hand-in-hand. My daughter has had IgG reactions to many things, but the day of her Hashimoto's diagnosis blood draw was her first anaphylaxis reaction to a food. The next two anaphylaxis reactions appeared a year later, one a week before her diagnosis and the other four days after coming home from the hospital. With the way the immune system is over-reacting, I would think it is very possible that he has developed allergies he may not have had before. And the tiredness can also be allergy related.

19. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

A thought on the thryoid test. A lot of docs in the U.S. don't run a full thryoid panel unless indicated by a simple, single thyroid lab test that does not give full information. The normal range for thryoid in the U.S. is also different from that used in Europe or Canada. What might be considered a normal or negative thyroid here could actually be subclinical hypothyroid elsewhere. I asked our endo three times if the full thyroid panel was done, and she kept answering that dd's thyroid results were normal. Our new pedi checked, and the full panel was not run. In fact, her diagnosis code showed her admitted for acute lymphocytic leukemia and DKA, so the endo never took a close look at her chart. Our pedi is going to do the full thryoid panel because of continued weight loss since diagnosis (2/28/11), and tiredness / dark circles under her eyes. This reminded me that I need to always insist the docs go over actual lab results with me... it just makes it easier to catch oversights.