- advertisement -

Diagnosed in December

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Marcon2000, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Marcon2000

Marcon2000 Approved members

Hi everyone, my son Max is 6 years old and diagnosed on December 5th. After a month of "tummy aches" our pediatrician did a urine dip and found 3+ glucose. Then a finger stick showed a blood sugar of 550! Felt like someone punched me in the stomach! He had been drinking more, but I never put the two together! We spent 2 days in the hospital and it has been a roller coaster ride since. This "honeymoon" period they talk about stinks. His sugars aren't really stabilized and trying to measure these small amounts of insulin is hard. I hope at some point it gets more evened out! I know we were super lucky to be diagnosed so quickly and without anything horrible happening but it is scary. Luckily my husband and I have a medical background (I am a labor and delivery nurse and he is an internal medicine PA) this has helped but does not make us experts. I hope to learn a lot from everyone and share some too!

2. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I'm really sorry you have to be here, but I'm glad you discovered this forum.

My daughter was diagnosed in 2007, same symptoms as your child. At first it seemed like a herculean task, but believe me it gets better. Other parents in this forum have helped us very much. The third most important factor to treating diabetes (after insulin and love) is information - and here is the place to get it. Please don't hesitate to ask about anything that might puzzle you, you will get the collective wisdom of hundreds of parents who were once newbies at this :cwds:

3. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My son is six was diagnosed Dec 5 as well!! We caught it early like u :) He was hiding in the corners for the first few weeks of shots... Three weeks ago he started on an insulin pump! I cant believe the difference that has made. He doesnt even say he hates diabetes any more :) His friends think he just has cool medicine and they always wanna watch him check his bs.

I felt like someone punched me in the gut as well... Now, its just becoming a way of life. A healthier life for our whole family. Just to see him smile and be a normal kid playing football makes every day a gift!!

Is your son on a pump?