- advertisement -

"Diabulemia"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jendean, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Chrystaljenna

Chrystaljenna New Member

I am taking my pre nursing classes and we study a variety of diseases, being mental and physical and its seems that a majority of them state, if you are a diabetic you are more "likely" to get it. i get tons of emails every week and in the headlines it reads diabetics are more likely to get......heart disease, kidney failure, depressions etc etcc. I mean i am sure all of you heard the basics. I have been a diabetic for 19 years and i am taking nursing classes and i am learning more and more things that i am likely to get, I think in general for science its easy to put diabetics in this category of likely to get anything since our disease is an autoimmune one. I would not say that its a factual statement with proper evidence, it just makes it easier to put the cause of this diease to likely happen to diabetics since everything else can happen. Its a scapegoat. The study is done in a poorly manner, with a group of 500,i think this is a small test group to make a fact, such a bold statemet. They probably reasearch diabetics and wow there is a hug list of disease they can obtain, so why not put this one on there too. I would consider this a research something needed further evidence, test, and more test. it kind of goes hand and hand to put a disorder like this and target a disease that deals with eating the right amount each day. At first glace in society, in general that are not educated with exact the day to day routine of diabetes would believe this statement in a heartbeat. Its the ones that live with it that actually question if the statement is accurate. its just make me sick and tires of hearing more disease i am trying to prevent from happening just becuase i am "likely" to get it.

2. jendean

jendean Approved members

Thank you

That is exactly my point.
    Who is to say that a person with Diabetes is more likely to "get" an eating disorder...
    I would argue that a person with diabetes would be more likely to be DIAGNOSED with one over a "regular" person for the sole reason that they are being paid closer attention to by thier doctors... As they are being seen on a much more regular basis. (that is not to assume that they are being seen four times yearly, but that they are being seen at least yearly)

I know all eating disorders are serious.
    But presenting information to the public that is not proven to be factual, or is based on a small biased study is presumptiuos and irresponsible. Most of us read a report like that and see it to mean that it is becomign an epidemic.
    But, that is our media, and our style of reporting facts. Of course there are facts in there, but they are distorted by the presentation.
    That is how you come up with situations of mass hysteria.
    And that is not cool, no matter how you put it.
    Thanks for the read and the replies, I am glad to have some discussion on this.
    MMJ

3. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Just to clarify Jendean, my arguement was specifically in response to what someone else said that you resposted. I wasn't trying to insult you or treat you with disrespect, I was merely voicing my opinion about what was posted.

4. Jenn

Jenn Approved members

I've always said that Type 1 is a glorified eating disorder. Know why the word "control" is used with diabetes (you don't hear that word w/cancer, AIDS,etc.)? Food. And lead us not into temptation... It wasn't until I read an excellent book about anorexia that I saw the parellel between the two diseases.

Type 1 rarely gets any media attention; it's not preventable and most people don't have/get it. But it's a maddening balance of micro-management. I totally understand why these women did what they did. I hope the help they are seeking is successful for them.

5. jendean

jendean Approved members

Right, but anorexia is an acquired taste, and diabetes is a sustainence thing.
    One is "stricken" by Diabetes, while one "acquires" anorexia.
    Not completely true. In the medical world, any person who cannote eat, or is not hungry is suffering anorexia. It does not mean skinny, and is the side effect of many medications... (some of which I have personally tried, and... much to my shagrin, no anorexic side effects for me, darn it)
    They do talk about diabetes and control... they also talk about rape being a crime of power and control, not one of sex... That should not liken it to Diabetes, since there should be control involved.

I do love you all for engaging me in this topic.

:cwds:

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I don't understand what you mean when you state "anorexia is an acquired taste".

There is very specific criteria for the psychiatric diagnosis of the eating disorder anorexia nervosa

Diagnostic criteria for 307.1 Anorexia Nervosa

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    1. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).
    2. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.
    3. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.
    4. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles. (A woman is considered to have amenorrhea if her periods occur only following hormone, e.g., estrogen, administration.)
    Specify type:
    Restricting Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has not regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas)
    Binge-Eating/Purging Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas)

http://www.poppink.com/dsmiv/

7. jendean

jendean Approved members

What I meant to say was acquired disease, I was thinking about my cousin who used to brag about drinking Perrier, and that it was an "acquired" taste, in that you "get" the liking for in by doing it, or forcing yourself to do it. Kind of like coffee. Coffee does not appeal to most people at first, or Beer, but you acquire a liking for it, just like cigarette smoking... nobody loves thier first drag the first time they inhale tobacco.
    But, I digress.
    In your post you posted some diagnostic criteria for Anorexia. The first word is Refusal.
    well, that is just my point. Refusal is a conscious decision. I am wondering if it is refusal at all... I question that.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't think that someone chooses to be anorexic any more than they choose to be diabetic. I think that circumstances and situations contribute. I think anorexic has the psychological component that diabetes doesn't, which is why many are saying that they don't see this relationship - because certainly an anorexic can stop.

I think any condition that makes you acutely aware of what goes in your mouth day in and day out will contribute to anyone who has a psychological tendency towards anorexic tendencies and using their diabetes is just another means of meeting that psychological need - no different than starving or binging/purging

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It is not necessarily a conscious decision. It can be a manifestation as a result of trauma, abuse, etc. Anorexia nervosa is far more than wanting to be thin. It's a pathology, a mental illness and can very well be life threatening.

You may want to read the book Life Without Ed to understand more about it.

10. 3js

3js Approved members

I am sorry, but with respect, I completely disagree that someone makes a conscious decision to become anorexic. It is a psychiatric disorder.

11. jendean

jendean Approved members

Right,

YES, yes yes,
    I agree with all of you that Anorexia is a disease. If you read back to the beginning, you will see that my main argument concluded just that. No, I dont believe that anorexia is something people choose to have, I was really just playing around with words, you do have to physically make a choice not to eat or to binge and purge, you have to choose to start it, just like drug addition, cigarette smoking, compulsive overeating.
    Why we make the choice to do so is, IMO, the thing that makes us more likely to have the disease, and the need to go on with it, or the compulsion to go on with it, is what (again, IMO) makes a person have the actually suffer the disease.
    Lots of people try smoking pot. Not all people that try it ever do it again. I think there is much more liklihood for a person who suffers anorexia to also at another point in life suffer another addiction, ********, etc...

It is, I think akin to OCD, or other compulsive disorders.
    But unlike those, Diabetes is not a disorder of compulsion. I think that yes, it could encite some compulsions to obsess, but not necessarily about weight loss, not any more than another person without Diabetes.

I DO agree it is a disease, and should be taken seriously. I was treated for anorexia myself when I was a kid, hospitalized for 40 days.
    So, I do know how much of a disease it is. I do know how serious it is, and I do know how I did not choose it. But I did make a conscious decision NOT to have anything to eat, or to hide food in my pockets and throw it away, and that I would do anything it took to be the smallest person I could possibly be. And I did not want to die. And, I fought with myself about it a lot.

One thing I do not want to do is argue over semantics with anyone anymore about it, I think that people should read the whole thread or the entirety of what I am saying and it is indeed plausible that I have trouble making myself clear.

I do like to play the devils advocate now and again.
    And, how fun would the world really be if we all felt exactly the same about everything?

Ok thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.
    Love
    Missmaryjennifer:cwds:

12. 3js

3js Approved members

Your comment re:eek:cd is interesting- a psychologist friend described eating disorders as ocd+addiction. I think it is a good description.

And yeah, life would be very dull if we all thought the same thing:)

13. jendean

jendean Approved members

Thank you:eek: that is so sweet. I am glad to find some like minded folks!
    Good numbers to you!
    JenD

14. Jenn

Jenn Approved members

Check out the book "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher on amazon.com. I've never been anorexic or bulimic, but it didn't matter. Marya's doctors always talked to her about "control." Isn't it ironic? It made me finally understand.