- advertisement -

Diabetic girl dies at boarding school

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carbz, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carbz

carbz Banned

This thread is what you want it to be..nothing more and nothing less.You know like it or not though I am miserable in general some of you should be looking at me as a sign of hope (just in regard to diabetes) in that I am 36 years in this and like many from my era walked around with horrible sugars for quite a few decades but somehow avoided secondary complications that many including myself fear. So In my mind this only reinforces again alot of your long term outcome come be due to genetics just as much as sugar control.

2. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I don't think there is anything wrong with the link,
    Although I don't agree with carbz constant fear mongering if carbz is using it to remind newbies or oldies of the seriousness of the condition that's fine. Tha'ts not the way I want my daughter to live her life thinking about constant death or complications but to each its own.

The same way people create threads to downplay the life threatening nature of diabetes and no one was offended by it, in fact most posters jump in the same bandwagon and starting saying how some people just overreact to every low or every high with no reason, they brag about how they manage things so easily, just give carbs or insulin and move on, no big deal, is not "all" life threatening remember. He has the right to post a diabetes related link.

We are a bunch of people that get offended by different topics, as some has stated before, if opinions will start to offend everyone then this forum is not going in the right direction.

And no I'm not a crazy old father that worries about his daughter dying every night.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. madde

madde Approved members

My deepest sympathies go out to this beautiful child who unfortunately lost her life way to soon:(

The things going on in this post is why I don't personally post very often here anymore! I agree with Lindy, these conversations should be dealt with through PM's....which is a more appropriate way of dealing with a disagreement than on a link to a child's death...

4. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

I've only been registered on this board for a year and don't post very often, mostly due to my desire not to accidentally start a thread that turns into the type of tantrum and drama that so many of them do. Almost every day there is some new hissy fit going on and about once a week a thread gets started about people being considerate and minding their manners...a continuous cycle. But I can't help myself on this one...

Carbz merely posted a link to a newspaper article - how is that voyeuristic? invading the family's privacy? He did not publicize someone's private information without their knowledge. Are we voyeurs for reading our newspapers today or listening to the news on TV?

Why isn't anyone upset at the person who included this girl's death in her thread about blue candles on Facebook? I'm not saying that person should be criticized, but it seems hypocritical to me that it is OK for her to mention this incident in a thread, but Carbz is criticized for it.

The thread was descriptively titled so that anyone who was not interested in the topic didn't have to read it. If someone doesn't want to read a thread, keep scrolling down the list and click on something you are interested in. There are some people on this board who seem to feel the need to reply to every thread and it really isn't necessary. If you don't like a thread, don't respond to it.

For those who say the topic should have been the child's death and not Carbz, I agree. However, the first response to the link was criticizing Carbz for posting it. Right from the beginning, the thread was derailed from the intended topic and made about Carbz. Carbz didn't to that, Frizzyrazzy did that. If you don't like Carbz, block his posts and don't reply to his threads. It's that simple.

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

/sigh

Bat Signal anyone?

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

You called?

Actually I was already here and just getting ready to make two observations:

1) Madde - I used PMs for several years until a particular member went off on me in a series of PMs, using language which even I, who can outcurse anyone, found to be off the charts. I don't use 'em anymore.

2) Lucky - it's not usually the "accidental" threads that set off a firestorm. As for the FB thread, I have not seen anything pertaining to this event. I may not have a FB connection with that person.

Back to the Batcave.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Maybe you're just joking around, but I guess I've gotta say that prolific posters tend to be...prolific. So it's no wonder that many of the same people end up commenting in the same threads. I natter on about all sorts of stuff on here, and yes. I often wade into the contentious threads. Partly because contentious threads tend to be the most interesting threads and partly because I don't have any problem stating my opinion or debating. I notice you often end up in those same threads. ;)

So if you're just riffing on MamaC's avatar, hee! But if you're implying there's some grand conspiracy going on somewhere, I guess I want to clear up that I ain't a part of it.

8. carbz

carbz Banned

Yeah, I think some here owe me an apology.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Maybe a reference to chum in the water and sharks would have been more appropriate.

Anyone else see the irony re: forum police?

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Carbz,

If you can point to anything I said in any of my posts that you feel I need to apologize to you about, please let me know.

11. hawkeyegirl

Maybe. ;)

I get what you're saying about forum police. Truly, I do. I think that within the terms and conditions (and Jeff's own perogative) that people should be able to post whatever they want to on here. And that others should have the right to tell people whether or not they think their post was right or wrong, useful or useless, interesting or boring, inflammatory or dull, or anything in between.

Personally, I'd love it if Jeff banned these death announcements, and I don't having any problem saying so. I don't find that to be "forum police-y," but maybe I have a different definition than some.

12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When I see them, I just move on and don't even read. It's just the terror in the closet that I don't want to even think about.

13. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

As the mother of a fairly newly dx'd kid...seeing a post like this makes my blood run cold. I really don't see the benefit but I can choose not to read it also. When dd was newly dx'd, I scared myself silly by searching for every horrible thing I could find. I can't imagine that any parent of a cwd doesn't know about the dangers. I look to this forum for support, encouragement and hope...not for more worries than I already carry on my shoulders. Maybe the best thing is to let those who choose to read do so and those who don't just pass on it. I think I'm strong enough to look at it, shudder and then ignore.

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

From where we live my children have to board. I KNOW how lucky we were that the first 3 went without problems. We have had great rapport with the Hostel staff who look after our kids. They will be feeling this as much as the family.
    Rachel has 3 more years at primary school and I am already planning to sell the farm and move to town (JK or not - I don't know :confused:... )
    I can only imagine that I'll get less sleep and more stress when the time comes..
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time..

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just to be accurate and not revisionist, you took issue with that thread and told me it was "unwelcoming". So since neither you nor I control the board, I can say that I think that THIS thread is a very bad idea, and you can think and post that that old thread of mine was a bad idea and thankfully, we are free to express those opinions.

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

and yet for all the outrage I still don't see an appropriate level of respect being paid to this child and this family. YOu all would rather argue and who's stirring things up yet I still don't see people weeping for this family. The thead in the other forum, about blue candles, completely different because it was a thread where proper respect was being shown and it was speaking about a mother who wanted to prevent her child from hearing about it. The discussion that follows is an important one to have. NOT "hey, we have another dead child. Diabetes sucks". Which is what this thread is and what Carbz INTENDED this thread to be - he said so.

Carbz, the only apology that is owed is YOU apologizing to this family for dredging their child's death so you can point out how horrible diabetes is for YOU, a person, who I really don't need to point out is fully alive person. The fact that you HAVE A life yet choose to piss and moan it away further makes this an outrage. In your other thread the other day you basically wished your life away. THAT is what makes this all so offensive. We have a child, who possibly died from diabetes in the prime of her life. And we have you making a mockery of it by saying "see, this is why I want to die too" .

so for all of you saying that nothing should have been posted and it all should have gone to PM - well - I didn't get a PM from any of you, did I? NOPE. You decided to post it all here. Pot/kettle. So who's stirring the ever loving pot? Not me. If you didn't like what I said in my very first post you could have simply walked away.

17. hawkeyegirl

I would also like to note that for those who suggest simply not reading the thread, I am hit with "Diabetic girl dies...." every time I log on to CWD. I'm not one to stick my head in the sand, and I know very well that this disease can kill, but there's no avoiding this thread or the topic, even if you don't open the thread.

18. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Michelle - please stop! You are being mean & hurtful and I'm not sure if that is on purpose or you just don't realize it?! What was originally posted was about this family and child - where you brought things because you may have a more intimate relationship with the poster is how it got derailed. You are being called out - please just stop the meanness!:(

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

First and foremost, the death of this young girl is a tragedy, and nothing we say here can mitigate that fact.

The sniping here though is really uncalled for. We're all grown ups -- use the "ignore" feature if people here bother you. And please, think about what you're posting. Stirring the pot just to stir the post is completely unhelpful.

Remember people -- the enemy is type 1 diabetes. It's not each other.

Time to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.