- advertisement -

diabetic education classes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Serenia, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

So if you can remember, how long after diagnosis did you do your classes? Did you learn everything at once? Such as the carb counting, the basal and bolus for insulin, as well as the initial stuff of how to poke fingers and inject insulin?

My son was Dx'd 10 days ago and today my diabetes nurse seems to have gone AWOL. :(

All last week once we had done the first 2 days - pokes and injections plus meeting the diabetes team - I had to page the diabetes nurse every morning to get the daily insulin numbers based on the previous days BG readings.

The insulin was going up and the BG numbers were coming down nicely.

I did the same thing with the diabetes doctor on call over the weekend - that was no problems. She kept the same insulin numbers as friday because my sons BG numbers were in the perfect place - this after just one week.

And today when I need to update the diabetes nurse on the numbers over the weekend, she goes AWOL.

I had her paged twice - no response.

So I gave my son the same insulin numbers we used over the weekend.

But added to that today is the school graduation ceremony (for grade 8 students) which is to be held today and the whole school has a long walk up to the cathedral where the ceremony will take place (yes this is in the catholic school system in Canada).

So I also had call the school and tell them that my son MUST be allowed to eat between 10 and 10.30 - he has to have carbohydrates - which I have packed in his bag.

And I have a dentists appointment today as well. Not a good start to the week at all. Only 4 more days of school - last day of school is Thursday.

My carb counting class doesn't start until July 3rd.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We got a little training during her 2 day hospitalization at Yale at dx. That was pretty much it.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

2 days of training at the hospital and that was it.

I also would not be upset about needing to page them. They aren't sitting around waiting for phone calls; instead, they are seeing patients and helping others. You would not want to be in an appt with your CDE only to have her interrupted with something that is not urgent.

I would ask her if you can email in the previous days #'s and that way she can respond when she has a moment. We did that every couple of days for the first few weeks.

And this blog posts really does outline what we covered, and that is about all we got:
    http://diabeticmaths.blogspot.ca/2012/06/carb-counts-and-diabetic-maths-first.html

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. L101418

L101418 Approved members

How frustrating for you not to get calls back. Especially at only 10 days after diagnosis!

At dx we had 4 hours in the doctor's office where we received the dx, learned how to test and judge BG, draw up and give injections, count carbs and a review of what Type 1 was and sent home.

We came back 3 days later and again 3 weeks after that for more training including glucagon, sick day, activity, emergency situations, ketones and met with a dietician.

We called in numbers and talked to the educator daily for 2 weeks (I would call in numbers and she would call back same day), then every 3 days or so (no weekends at this point unless I had a questions) for another couple weeks and then as I felt as needed after that.

I would really expect a team to be available anytime, night or day, at 10 days after diagnosis. (But it sounds like you are doing great!!!)

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We were in the hospital for 4 days, and then had to call in for doses. We called at night, though, and then got instructions for the morning. It made more sense than having to wait to dose in the morning. It sounds like you're on a schedule - at least for now - so timing is important. Maybe you can call tonight for input instead of waiting in the morning.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Ditto on how we were trained, except weekends included.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We had 2.4 days of training in the hospital and phone calls for a couple of weeks. We knew what to do daily, but had our questions answered.

Management will be easier if he can get off of NPH. Being tied to a snack at a certain time is a hassle.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Hospital only.

EDIT: JDRF Basket of Hope had a lot of information in it.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

They held me in the hospital an extra couple of days so that I wouldn't leave the hospital without meeting with the diabetes educator, nutritionist, and the counselor (I was admitted on a Friday leading up to Labor Day weekend). But because that was my fifth day in the hospital, by then I had already learned how to check my blood sugar and give myself shots and had been practicing my injection skills on oranges.
    I think my parents' first education classes was that fifth day. We had meetings for like five hours. I really thought we'd learned it all... haha yeah right.

I talked with the CDE on the phone frequently for about two months to adjust dosages, and we had one or two follow up visits in person, in which she showed us how to use an insulin pen (I just used syringes initially) and talked about transition care and I think answered some questions of my mother's. I was seventeen, and so there was a question of did I want to stay with Children's until the end of college, or switch to an adult practice sooner. I chose to switch to an adult endo because although the CDE was great, I hadn't liked the way the ped endo touched me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son was in the hospital two days, and that's all the training we got. He was on NPH and Lantus to begin with. Two weeks later when I begged to get him off of the NPH and on to Novalog, our endo said, "Okay, you'll be counting carbs now. Start with one unit per 30 carbs and let us know how that goes."

That was our carb-counting class.

11. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We had about 6 hours of basic training (shots, glucagon, BG numbers, etc) on the first day. We called in before dinner for about a week and got adjustments made to Lantus and ratios. After 1 week we went in for a second class that lasted about 4 hours. This one reviewed what we already learned and then went into more detail on adjusting doses ourselves. We continued to email in numbers once a week for the first month or so and got help adjusting them from the CDE. After about a month we went back for our third class, again 4 hours, review and then nutrition and carb factors. After 6 months we had our 4th class, 4 hours, review, sick days, split dosing, higher level stuff. This was just for MDI. When we went on the pump there were a whole new set of classes.

12. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

:D

We didn't have "classes" either. Only some training at the hospital after diagnosis.

13. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

That was it?? OH I think that is awful.
    Doesnt anyone get given a basic number of carbs per day so we know roughly how much he can eat?

We caught up with the nurse this morning via email and it turns out her pager was on the fritz. We should be OK for tomorrow. But she said I did right to stay with the same dosage numbers.

Exercise makes a huge difference. My son's school has just got back from their walk up to and back from the parish cathedral for the grade 8 graduation ceremony. His BG was low - but NOT lower than the absolute minimum. Good thing I had his lunch available - lots of carbs there to get those numbers back up.

14. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I forgot that part. Yes, in the first 2 weeks he was on a set amount of carbs at each meal and snack so they could get his dosing right to begin with. After that he was allowed to eat whatever amount of carbs he wanted because we were doing Novolog and Lantus and carb ratios.

15. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

You DO know that you have linked to MY own Blog, right?? :)

It's brand new and I intend to everything I learn about being the mom of a Type 1 child on the blog - except for his name. Gotta keep his privacy.

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That's kind of the point of counting carbs, so he can eat as much as he wants/needs. What insulin is he on? I see Amy mentioned NPH above, but I don't remember seeing you say that anywhere - although the fact that he HAS to eat a certain amount at certain times suggests he's on NPH. We actually started on "exchanges" (15g carb servings) with NPH, and I learned to count carbs on my own.

ETA: I just went back and saw that your son is on a huge amount of NPH (37 units?!) and whatever the fast-acting is. Expect that to start decreasing, and not having to feed him so much so often.

17. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Same here. Three days in the hospital with dh and I getting next to no sleep at night constituted our training. Fun times! :D

(((HUGS))) I hope the nurse calls back the next time you need her. Sometimes they are right on it, but really they are often seeing patients and things come up so they can't always be available 24/7.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yeah - I did it on purpose :D. This is way more then we got once we left the hospital.

I would really talk to your educator about getting off of NPH and onto MDI. That way, he can eat whatever he wants - it does not have to be a set amount.

19. Deal

Deal Approved members

NPH is a good insulin for use while practicing MDI. I agree that Lantus is a better all around basal insulin, but NPH can help in a school setting if you can't find someone to inject rapid for meals/snack. A well timed NPH shot can handle these situations.

I found that reading books helped the most. I also searched this forum and read every post Wilf wrote. He doesn't post nearly enough any more!

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son was in ICU for a day, then in a regular room for another 2. We attended classes once he was on a regular floor, so we met with a CDE one day, then had a follow up the next and were sent home. That's it. From the day we walked out of the hospital to today we've been in charge of dosing, though we didn't make changes all by ourselves for a few weeks. I had to email numbers in daily for a week, maybe two, now only when I have questions though quite frankly I rely on advice here more than from the endo, and that's been true for quite a while.

Once we saw the endo in the office a week later we had a meeting with the nutritionist, but she was mostly checking to see what we knew. I assume if we had flunked that meeting she would have signed us up for more education.

That's it. I have done tons and tons of self research though. Bought several books that first week, highly recommend Think Like a Pancreas.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012