- advertisement -

Diabetic Child & Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sw33tBabi3z, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Sw33tBabi3z

Sw33tBabi3z Approved members

Hey all, glad to find this place!! Long time lurker, fairly new poster I am in the hospital now and need help extremely bad!!!

I have 2 kids, a 4 &1/12 year old Daughter and a 2 & 1/2 y.o. Son, my Daughter was dx'd almost a year ago. Now a lot has happened since then, my DH has gotten mugged twice and has had his 2 front teeth knocked out and again with a gun to the face and he had no money, Hell he and I would go like 2-3 days w/o eating anything but a cereal bar.

Next thing you know, our apartment gets roach infestations to the point I had a very obvious and disgusted paranoia over it, our microwave breaks, our fan breaks, our internet/phone get shut off, I have severe eye problems (floaties that never go away), our cable gets turned off, our car breaks and we have to junk it, we have holes in our walls, DH and I fight verbally and sometimes physically, they cut off our electricity and last but not least we get evicted.

We have pretty much been living and sleeping in my Mom's living room and I don't handle stress all to well like, AT ALL and I sometimes express this, the kids and us don't really have a room of our own over there and b/c my Mom's morbidly obese with a myriad of health problems, I try not to disturb her when she locks herself in the room practically all day. I have a schedule with the kids, they eat at the same time every day and I make sure they play and have something to do and take them to the park everyday since they're not in school yet and want them to have some sembelence of a social life.

I give all this background b/c my DDD (Darling Diabetic Daughter) who had some jaundice at birth and I was on synthroid with during my pregnancy (not my Son who is so far so good, I PRAY!!!) seems to me and everyone aroud her to be extremely intelligent, thoughtful, sensitive and just a sweet little angel, so here's what happened 4 days ago;

My Daughter's insulin dosage got raised a bit like a month ago and the kids have had a bad flu for a couple of weeks, it was pretty bad, we all had it for quite some time. After she was asleep for like an hour DDD woke up with blood curdling screams and hallucinations, she said she saw hair growing all over the place (she does'nt like having her hair brushed no matter how gentle I or the brush may be) that she saw a Woman coming into my Mom's room and things were growing. She was completely inconsolable, you couldn't even talk to her and she didn't want anyone near her, had a crazed, unfocused look in her eyes and even tried to escape the back yard in her jammies.

It got so bad we had to call fire rescue and she had to come to the Hospital. They ran blood work, M.R.I., spinal tap, cat scan, EEG or whatever when they hook up the wires to the brain and found nothing. The one thing they did find was a MAJOR sinus and ear infection for which she is receiving antibiotics (have to find the paper for exact name). For the first 2 days she got here she'd have episodes, like bugs crawling on her bed and the hair growing and stuff, I tried to talk to her to tell it to go away and she said it wouldn't listen to her. I could tell after the 3rd day when it would come on she would close her eyes, shake her feet and head to try to fight it and tell ppl to back up from by her bed to give her space.

On the 3rd day she was laying in her bed and coloring and she stopped and looked out the window with her crayon in her hand quiet, doing nothing for the longest time and all of a sudden she started cryng real, real bad and she's not much of a crier, never was. This time I squeezed her real, real tight and told her to squeeze me harder and harder and I tried to comfort her the best I could b/c sometimes she didn't want me near her.

She did'nt do any of that today on her 4th day, she cried a bit when I literally ran down to get her a diet soda and she stopped right when I came in saying she didn't want to be alone. No one has been able to tell me anything here and I was wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else, could she be extra sensitive to stress given her personality, condition and this past year's events and a combination of having had the flu for almost ever? Should I look into child psychiatry/psychology? Will it go away or be a recurring thing or what? Sorry so long, am at my wit's end!!

We are totally gonna start going to church and I'm just never gonna say another word again other than "Yes" "No" "Please" and "Thank-You"

UGH!!! I am such the shitty parent!
    :(:(

2. coni

coni Approved members

I'm very sorry for all your troubles. It sounds like a very stressful situation.

About the hallucinations, my first instinct would be to check her blood sugar when these episodes occur to rule out low or high blood sugars. Although it could be a result of low, low blood sugars, it sounds extreme, but every one is different, and it's important to rule the blood sugar issue out before working on the next possible cause.

Good luck.

3. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Wow..I really feel for you.
    What a very rough situation.

I totally agree with Coni's post. Any strange behavior/feelings with Dana
    the first step is check the BG levels. Almost always a factor.

Any recent changes to the diet?
    I would also consider cutting back or even eliminating the diet soda as things
    like aspartame may affect nerve and mental function. You just never know.
    Better to rule it out.

Church would certainly be helpful.
    Perhaps try to get join a support group there.
    We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Keep us posted..

4. Sw33tBabi3z

Sw33tBabi3z Approved members

Sorry, probably should have mentioned that her sugars were within the normal range and would go to up just a bit but never past 200, weird I know and sorry about the pic of the meter I had with "Oh, ****" on it instead of a number. I just have a dark sense of humor..

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was hoping somebody else would know more about this and I wouldn't have to reply.

I have had psychotic episodes lasting no more than one hour that were caused by hypoglycemia. I can't really explain what they were like, except that I believed things along the lines of that I would be saving the world from imploding if I picked at the carpet, which was really a circus in disguise. :eek:
    These always happened after I woke up hypo (and was therefore presumably hypo for more than an hour first), and when the episodes ended and I checked my bg, I was in the 40s every time.

I have also had episodes in which I relived traumatic experiences, complete with seeing and hearing the things that had happened to me earlier, and I think that your daughter's experiences sound much more like a reaction to trauma than anything else. If that is what is happening, then therapy may be useful. Most of the time, hallucinations that are relivings of traumatic incidents (with details added or subtracted) won't last more than a couple years after the incident, but sometimes they persist. I don't really know anything about this sort of thing in people younger than teens, but I do think that seeing a therapist would probably be helpful if this is the issue.