- advertisement -

Diabetic Cats Need Lantus/Levemir/Testing Supplies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Venita and The Boyz, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Venita and The Boyz

Venita and The Boyz Approved members

Hi. My name is Venita and I run a rescue called Diabetic Cats in Need. DCIN has a blog and a Facebook page.

Our mission is to help diabetic cats and their people. We support diabetic cats in their original and adoptive homes, rehome unwanted diabetic cats, and help to educate caregivers on the appropriate treatment of diabetic cats.

Many diabetic cats use human insulins. Their blood glucose levels also are tested at home using human glucometers. People with diabetic cats usually have to pay full retail for insulin and testing supplies, which is a financial difficulty for some.

I coordinate the provision of insulin and testing supplies to folks who need them for their diabetic cats. The cats have a veterinary prescription for the insulin. There is always more need than I have insulin/supplies available.

Should you have excess unexpired Lantus or Levemir insulin or glucose testing strips and wish to help a diabetic cat, I can coordinate your donation. DCIN will reimburse you for shipping should you want that. You can contact me at ennis93 @att.net (remove space)

If you are interested in seeing how sophisticated the care of diabetic cats can be, you can visit a well-populated message board without registering at FelineDiabetes.com.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Venita and The Boyz

A PostScript

DCIN works in both the US and Canada, but it does not cross borders through the mail with insulin and testing supplies.

That means if you have insulin/supplies in Canada, I will find you a needy cat in Canada. If you are in the US, the cat will be in the US.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

People with children with diabetes usually have to pay full retail for insulin and testing supplies too.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have a tough time believing that parents the rely on insulin and testing supplies TO KEEP THEIR CHILDREN ALIVE would give some up for a cat that is not their own.

I mean, really??? You are really asking us to donate our hard earned and often fought for supplies to cats?

Also - since most of these medications are by RX only - we could actually go to jail for sending them to you...

5. Venita and The Boyz

I am sorry. I was unaware. I assumed that many diabetic children would be covered by their parents' insurance or by state healthcare programs for children. If I am inappropriately asking for sponsors, please let me know. I checked with the Board administrator before I posted.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

But is that even legal? I mean - isn't donating your insurance paid for supplies a form of insurance fraud?

I could understand donating a vial that is about to expire, but your org. is asking for more then that. So I would have to ask my doctor to give us an extra vial a month (which they wouldn't - rx's are based on your child's dosage); then you would have your insurance pay for that vial - about $100.00 just for you to donate it.

That is insurance fraud. Along with sending an RX through Federal Mail to a person that the RX was not intended for - that is mail fraud.

Honestly, your org needs to reconsider these practices of requesting insulin donations. It is not a legal practice.

7. Venita and The Boyz

Again, my apologies if you feel my request was inappropriate. And I do understand that the insulins are RX for those in the US, that's why I indicated that only cats with a prescription would be involved.

Apologies again. I was not asking anyone to obtain insulin or supplies they did not need. We are accustomed to having insulin donated to us by human diabetics who have changed insulins (or buying them from such folks). We also are accustomed to having excess testing supplies donated or sold to us at a discount from retail.

If my request constitutes insurance or mail fraud in your opinion, could you please report it to a moderator asking him/her to consider your position and remove this thread if he/she agrees? I don't know where the "report this post" command is on this system.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I need to address the RX issue - in the US, it is illegal for me to give my RX to anybody. My name is on the RX, so even if you take the same medication, it is illegal for me to give you mine, because I am not a pharmacist.

Please - don't feel like you need to keep apologizing. I just find this interesting from an organizational standpoint. I mean, if someone gets in trouble for sending an RX to you, could they then come back and sue your organization? These are the kinds of questions that this stuff raises in my mind. I would seriously research that before asking for RX drugs to be sent in the mail from an unauthorized distributor - you could loose your tax exemption, get sued, etc,etc,etc.

I wish your cause the best of luck! I understand the frustration of having to pay for medical supplies.

9. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The original poster asked me for permission to post here and explain her group's mission. I gave her permission.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with her group's mission. We all know people with diabetes who are also involved in animal welfare organizations.

If animal welfare is an interest of yours, and you have the means to help, you now have another way to help. If this topic isn't of interest to you, please follow Thumper's advice.

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think most children are covered by their parents insurance or programs but there are exceptions. Some adults struggle to get these supplies. We personally get them through insurance so we do not pay full price. Sometimes we get test strips with a meter that we don't use.

**edited since Jeff already responded along the lines of what was in my my post.

I love my cats and appreciate your work with helping people who struggle with this disease with their pets.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I love my cats as well as do lots of people and the scenario I see is that you're going to get donations from people with big hearts who can hardly afford to send you donations. The people who are most struggling will send you what little they have which should go towards their kids, and while that's certain charitable and commendable, it shouldn't be encouraged.

12. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Interesting... From A CWD Admin, its a sticky in the sale & swap section.

About Sharing Prescription Products
    Just a reminder that, in the US, many diabetes care product require a prescription and it's illegal to buy, sell or share prescription products without an appropriate prescription or license. Remember that you should only purchase your prescription products from a reliable, licensed outlet.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive always been curious about diabetic animals such as cats and dogs. Is their diabetes similar to our type 2 diabetes in humans? Meaning, is it caused by obesity and can it be controlled possibly with diet and the animal losing weight? I know this is not what the OP was asking but its something Ive always wondered.

And, I know this will sound harsh and cruel, but if their diabetes is similar to my childs type 1 diabetes I would rather these animals be used in research to possibly find out why the destruction of the Beta cells takes place and how to stop it. This of course would only be done with stray cats with diabetes or cats that were no longer wanted by their owners

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wouldn't it be easier to just raise funds to buy what you need for the cats?

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm glad you are working to get insulin for cats, it is a problem, a lot of people give up their cats when they find out they're diabetic.

What I don't get though, is when a PERSON comes on here looking for insulin, for help, or when we have things to offer, we are told that we can't share perscriptions, its illegal. So, why is it OK for a person to search out donations that are prescription only for cats? I realize I'm probably to get blasted for my question, my intention isn't to cause an issues or an arguement, I'm truely curious, thats all.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

I was curious about the issues surrounding donation of insulin and/or prescription items. From what I could tell from a little googling (a little googling can be dangerous!) that some organizations and clinics are allowed to accept these donated items. I "think" the laws may be at the state level when it comes to donation of something dispensed to you. We are talking about donating and not selling the item.

I think some groups won't accept donated insulin because of the liability issues and the issue of keeping it cool. Perhaps the liability issues of giving donated insulin to animals is a whole lot less than for human use. I think we'd need a lawyer to sort it all out - there is definitely conflicting information on websites about it.

I think the insulins requested by the OP are not OTC in the USA - not sure about Canada. If the item is OTC then I think you are free to donate it.

17. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

So how do donations work? We know it's illegal to give a prescription written for one person to another PERSON. But do those laws not apply to animals?

And if you do get donated insulin, does the vet write a prescription for the cat to use the donated insulin that was originally prescribed for a person?

Since children are generally covered by some type of insurance, how do you handle donating unexpired insulin to your organization with insurance companies? Is there a tax deduction that we or the insurance companies would get?

18. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Please be nice. I must admit... I have donated lantus and testing supplies to our vet to be given (not sold) to people with diabetic animals. My son is on a pump, so when he first went on the pump I had a few vials of lantus we had not opened. When the lantus got close to the exp. date it was clear my son would not need it for back-up so I donated it. I always keep one vial of lantus on hand in case Gregory's pump fails, but just before it expires, I donate that too. I have been at many diabetes events where I have been handed glucose monitors and test strips. My son loves the freestyle lite and is only interested in a new meter if it has better features or connects to his DSi, so we have donated several sample meters and the sample test strips that go with them. I think the OP is just trying to collect things that might sit in a drawer or be thrown out at their exp. date. If you happen to have something you are not going to need, please consider donating it. If helping animals makes you angry, please go read another thread. -Allison

19. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Slightly off-topic, but a similar situation:

We have extra, un-expired NPH and Novolog. I asked our Endo what I can do with it and he said to bring it to him, he can then provide it to patients that have no insurance. So the prescription is dispensed for my daughter, but the Endo will then give it to someone else. Would that be wrong as well?

ETA - I would hate to see anyone with this disease suffer due to not having the necessary medication (insulin). Animal or human. I agree with Allison - if you have extra that would be tossed anyway, why not give it to someone that can use it?

20. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

and yet, in sale and swap and probably in many PMs it happens here all the time...

I seem to recall, she also asked for other items, such as test strips, that anybody can purchase OTC.

I have two diabetic dogs. Penelope-I rescued from a american eskie organization. She is a true blue type 1 diabetic as she got it in puppyhood. Not as an old dog, and all old animals that do get diabetes, are NOT overweight. Certain types of breeds are more disposed to get it then others. Now, blu, my syberian husky, is a whole nother ball of wax. He isnt overweight, he developed pancreatic issues, which first started out by the pancreas not doing its job of digesting food. well, it snowballed. And he became diabetic. We found out tho, for some reason, blu has NO pancreas at all anymore, and the vets have no idea why. Extensive abdominam surgery looking for cancer found no cancer, and no pancreas. Both of my dogs are controlled with 70/30 novilin insulin, gotten OTC without perscription, tho, on file at the vets, they do have a perscription. I also purchase syringes OTC. I had penelope on vetsilin, however, its no longer on the market. They go in every 3-5 months for a glucose curve, and get a test called a frutosamine to determin the A1C. I am thinking of trying the bayer breeze A1C test on them myself one of these days. I do also test thier blood sugar.

It takes damn hard work to keep these dogs going. I got penelope knowing she was diabetic, but not knowing how hard or costly it would be. However, once she entered the family, she was FAMILY! and there was no going back. I take care of my responsibilities. That is also why, when my father passed, I got my blu. He was dads dog. the light of his life. I will care for that dog as long as I possibly can. As long as he has quality of life.

sadly, most people think as pets as toss aways. Problem, toss it out, and get another NON problem pet. :mad:

thankfully, there are people out there looking after these animals. Just becouse its not everybodys charity of choice, doenst mean it isnt important and doesnt deserve respect.