- advertisement -

Diabetic and Getting Married

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by munchkingirl, Jan 15, 2007.

1. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

So, Yeah, obviously I'm diabetic.

I'm getting married in June and overall am totally excited, as it should be, right?

But I'm kinda scared too. My a1c is really high still (9.?) and I know I need it to be under 7.0% for getting pregnant - which we don't plan on for a couple of years or so. We're both virgins still, so it's not a problem right now but...
    Do any of you other T1 lady's use birthcontrol or such things? My doctor put me on some for a couple of months but it really reaked havoc with my body.

Anyways. Just some helpful tips/advice would be great from other married women.

Thanks.

2. cassandra

cassandra Approved members

congrats on getting your upcoming wedding! a june bride, how exciting ^o^

i have never been on any form of birthcontrol medication, and have always opted for prophylactics. wanted to get on a pill but was kind of afraid of how my body would freak with that. let me know if you find a medication that works ok.

3. Becky

Becky Approved members

I'm back on the pill after taking a break for a couple of years. So far, so good- I need a little bit more insulin than normal, but I haven't had those huge jumps in BG that I used to get right before my period.
    What kind of symptoms are you having when you say "wreaked havoc on my body"? Give the pill a few months to allow your body to get used to it, and keep in mind that you may need to try a couple different brands before you find one that works best. I was terribly nauseous on Ortho Tri Cyclen, had terrible BGs and moods on Yasmin, but am doing pretty well with Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo (so far- knock on wood!).Hope this helps- good luck!

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

I'm not a married woman, but CGMS might be a good idea for pregnancy

OK, I'm a MAN who wasn't invited, but I always say that my wife "wears the pants in the family". So maybe I can post anyway? :cwds:

This is about your other topic (future planned pregnancy). I think that even today, it is EXTREMELY likely that a woman with high A1c and a GOOD endo, and a GOOD obstetrician to agree, could win insurance coverage for using a CGMS 24x7.... at least for the period of time while attempting to become pregnant and the pregnancy itself.

And of course, in 2-3-4 more years it'll be even easier. But 9s kinda suck, why don't you try getting one now and see if it helps? If you keep good records, you could win coverage quickly. It depends a lot on where you live (State laws vary a lot) and who your insurer is. I just pay out of pocket. But my body is unusually compatible with wearing the Sensors for really long periods, so my costs are unusually low.

5. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I was on bc pills for 14+ years - started in my teens, had my first child at 32. I can't say that it wreaked havoc at all but I did have to adjust my insulin requirements. I can't remember how long it took but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a few cycles. The 3 weeks your on you should level out, but the one week your off your insulin needs will drop. The hormones do cause insulin resistance, but your own body does the same thing. Even women without D take a few months for their bodies to adjust and if one kind didn't work, try another.

If you got pregnant with an A1c of 9 your chances of having a miscarriage are higher as well as birth defects. Its not definite, but the increased chance is there. Don't get me wrong, I do know of some women who were in the 8's when they got pregnant, but they got it down under 7 dramatically fast and their children are just fine, but why risk it when you don't have to.

Oh, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Look into using a combination of condoms and a diaphragm, then you can alternate on who has to use the birthcontrol. Good luck getting your numbers down. Your Dr. and clinic should be able to help you get them down over the next year. Good luck.

7. Boo

Boo Approved members

Bethany-
    If you really plan to wait a few years (which I would highly recommend...we waited 5), I would consider looking into an IUD. I know they seem old-fashioned, but they really aren't and there are so many advantages to them. They are very safe these days and effective.

When I was in college, I started using birth control pills. After about 1 month, I developed a deep vein blood clot (DVT) in my leg. (You know...I was with my boyfriend of 3 years...now my husband...and I was trying to be responsible...but it turned around and bit me in the a**). I was not a smoker, and had no other risk factors for blood clots, but was never allowed to go on any type of hormone-related birth control...which is what led me to the IUD after the birth of my third son.

It is a bit expensive (maybe $200-300?) to have put in, but there is no monthly cost, and they are good for up to 10 years. Other than the minor day or two of discomfort after insertion (and the same at removal), I had no other concerns. I had mine taken out after 6 years when my husband had a vasectomy. But, there is no monthly costs, so it may actually end up being cheaper than the pill. There is no need to remember to take a pill daily. You do not need to interrupt spontaniety (sp?) to insert a diaphragm.

My gynecologists wife uses an IUD. I think that says a lot. I don't think it would have any impact on your diabetes. It would give you a few years to get that A1C down and to get better control before getting pregnant.

Best of luck to you.

8. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Thank you all so much for your advice. Yeah, we're gonna wait at the very least a year b4 thinking about kids. I just don't want an "accident" before my a1c is down, ya know? Thank you all again.

9. Nikki

Nikki Approved members

I have to agree with Boo, i was on the pill, and it was also one for acne (which i had quite moderately through my teens - my dad is prone to it, so thanks dad). It made me gain weight, cos of the steroidy type part for the acne. I didnt put 2 and 2 together for about 4 years. I also was horrible at remembering to take it at same time everyday, and my period was never 'like clockwork', so there is a good chance i wasnt on the right dose.
    Back to my point, i got a Mirena IUD, even though condoms are always used. I do not want to get pregnant over the next 5-10 years (lots of reasons, none are relevant here). It was not painful, i never forget it, and my periods are so light there are practically nonexistant. I also dont get the hormonal depression that i used to get, quite severely (in my opinion, i never saw anyone about it for reasons not relevant here). Its certainly something to consider. Health costs are different here in Australia, it only cost me about $40 for the actual thing and the appts and all. I would definately reccommend it, and have, to several gfs and even my own mum.

Congratulations and best wishes for the wedding. Go girl!

10. BennysMom

BennysMom Approved members

Hey... I got married two years ago and was worried about the same thing. I was trying to choose a BC method and we were just using condoms at the time and I got pregnant two months later. OOPS! :) My a1c was actually 9.2 at the time I conceived, but I got it quickly under control and down to 6's and 7's within a short time and my son was born health and fine... no complications. :) That said, I don't really have any advice on what kind of BC to choose, but just wanted to reassure that if for some reason you DO get pregnant, having a slightly high a1c isn't a death sentance for the baby so long as you work hard during you pregnancy to maintain tight control. :)