- advertisement -

Diabetic Alert Dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by micah'sister06, Jul 16, 2007.

1. micah'sister06

micah'sister06 Approved members

My name is Tricia and I am 16 years old. I have a 7 year old brother who is a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed on April 23, 2006 and has been pumping for almost a year now. I am a puppy raiser/trainer for an organazation that trains Mobility Assistance Dogs. I have 2 dogs in training. Frank is almost 2 and Jana is 10 months old. We have noticed that Frank alerts to Micah's high and low blood sugars. Frank usually tries to get Micah's attention by nudging and licking him untill he checks his sugars or Barks untill someone in out house checks his sugars. Frank has let us know when Micah was 36 and passed out and also when he had a seizure. I have been talking with our organazation and we are working on starting a diabetes alert dog program. I was just wondering if any diabetics or parents of children with diabetes have any comments or questions. Does anyone have a Diabetic Ditection Dog? Has anyone noticed their pet dog ditect high and low sugars? Thank you.

2. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

We had an Australian Shepherd that would detect Caynuns highs and lows he was not trained to do he just did but sadly on Easter Sunday of this year he was hit and killed by a car :(. We have 2 other Aussies but they dont detect. My husband and I are interested in getting him a dog that will detect his highs and lows but what they charge for them is way out of our price range. Shoot health insurance is out of our price range right now!:(

3. stbakjj

stbakjj New Member

diabetic sniffing dogs

we actually just applied to get a diabetic alert dog. it is thru an organization called heaven sent paws. we just filled out an application and are waiting to here back from them. the dogs are suppose to be able to smell lows and high blood sugars. we are hoping that we will be able to get one. we have to test our son at least twice a night because of his sugars are so inconsistant. we also live 45min from the school so not having to worry as much would be nice. that is great that your dog is doing that for your brother. if any one else has any information on these dogs please let us know.

4. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

Oh, I would love to have a dog like that! In fact, I would love to be a training family!;)

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

We don't have one and don't really have a need, Sam feels her lows before they become dangerous. But ... if I had a child with hypoglycemic unawareness, I'd be getting one of those amazing little things as quick as I could. I know they can be very expensive, but it would be worth it.

6. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

I am getting one on Feb 3rd! i am going throu heaven scent paws. check out my website: www.gr8ful1.org

7. Mymommymommy

Mymommymommy Approved members

I want one, i've tried looking them up online but cant find where to get one. Or how much they cost. I have a 20 month old so i would LOVE to have a dog that could sleep next to her crib. i think it would give me a peace of mind.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

See:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/services/dogs.htm

I would advise caution to anyone seeking a diabetes alert dog. There is no scientific evidence to support the claims being made by the dog companies.

This is not to say that the dogs do not alert at times when kids are low. However, there is no evidence to support the claims that they will always alert when kids are low, especially at night.

I have tried to get a dog provider to make a dog available for rigorous clinical trials but have not yet succeeded.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  9. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

like i said, i am gettin mine throu heaven scent paws, www.heavenscentpaws.com

they have been great! It costs around 23 thousand dollars to train. but because of how much support this orginazation gets you only have to raise 6,000. check out my web: www.gr8ful1.org

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We just adopted a german shepherd pup from a shelter, it'd be great if she could detect lows since Tony isn't that verbal. So far she is obsessed with him and sleeps by our bed ;) If anything she's a great companion since we don't get out of the house much.

11. podemosbailar

podemosbailar Approved members

Owner Trained Diabetic Alert Dog

Hello,

I have a Diabetic Alert Dog. She has been great. Her name is Schatzi. We adopted her for this purpose and have been training her ever since. She has actually prevented me from having lows by alerting me as my blood sugar was dropping.:) She has even alerted my wife when I did not pay attention to her alerting me.:)

Schatzi is an owner trained service dog meaning we did not get her from a company. Please note: Owner trained is not for everyone.

We actually have a web page of her progress and for Diabetic Alert Dog awareness. We have found her to be very accurate and on a number of times I showed no symptoms yet. We have been very impressed and pleased to have a Diabetic Alert Dog.

http://schatzitheservicedog.com

12. sparkyjt

sparkyjt Approved members

Our daughter just received a dog from Heaven Scent Paws. The dogs do work and they do alert to lows. It's actually quite amazing.

However, to reply to what Jeff said, yes, they are DOGS. No, they aren't going to catch every single low ever, but they catch enough to make it worthwhile for us. It will be at least 6 months before we can rely on Reese's dog to catch 90% of her lows.

You do need to do a lot of research and check the organization out thoroughly before deciding to do this. Talk to other clients and get an idea of what percentage of the lows they catch and that sort of thing. Having a service dog is a huge responsibility and comes with a lot of work and training on your part.

13. haileysmom

haileysmom Approved members

my daughter, hailey is going to get a dog from heaven scent paws in july. we are soo excited! :) we have been having some rough nights lately.... now we are just concentrating on fund raising but we can not wait!!! lol, after i saw your daughters name... i went to the heaven scent paws sight to put a face to the name. it will give me so much relief when hailey gets hers!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  14. jendean

jendean Approved members

Somebody offered us a dog that belonged to a woman with diabetes. Supposedly he was able to sniff out her lows... She died, due to something else, and IT was offered to us, then the offer was retracted.
    I was bummed.
    Then someone told me that I could not have my regular dog AND a diabetic alert dog because the regular one would untrain the alert dog.
    Anyone have thoughts on that?

15. podemosbailar

podemosbailar Approved members

I haven't heard of "untraining" before, but another dog could be a distraction. I have heard of alert dogs that have a companion dog. Have you checked with all of the training schools to see if one of them will work with you?

Also I'm not sure that I would accept a dog that someone claims to have detected lows. What if the dog did not bond with your pwd and refused to alert? Make sure you are aware of a dog's history (training, health, behavior, etc.) before you invest your time or money or anything.

I would call all the schools (reputable schools) you could travel to and see if they will work with you.