- advertisement -

Diabetic Alert Dogs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by micah'sister06, Jul 16, 2007.

1. micah'sister06

micah'sister06 Approved members

Hello,

My name is Tricia and I am 16 years old. I have a 7 year old brother who is a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed on April 23, 2006 and has been pumping for almost a year now. I am a puppy raiser/trainer for an organazation that trains Mobility Assistance Dogs. I have 2 dogs in training. Frank is almost 2 and Jana is 10 months old. We have noticed that Frank alerts to Micah's high and low blood sugars. Frank usually tries to get Micah's attention by nudging and licking him untill he checks his sugars or Barks untill someone in out house checks his sugars. Frank has let us know when Micah was 36 and passed out and also when he had a seizure. I have been talking with our organazation and we are working on starting a diabetes alert dog program. I was just wondering if any parents of children with diabetes have any comments or questions. Does anyone have a Diabetic Ditection Dog for their child? Has anyone noticed their pet dog ditect high and low sugars? Thank you.

2. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

what a lucky brother you have

Big ups to you on being an great sister.

If you look up the word dog on this site, or hypo dog you should find a few posts. There's been lots of talk about it here of late.

3. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

My late dog woke me up when my husband was just about to have a seizure. I am hoping my new lab puppy will grow up to do the same as I now have 2 d's in the house. I would love to know how to train him...

4. mommyogini

mommyogini Approved members

Pup

We have a 9 month old German Shepard Pup who is too smart for her own good. I would LOVE to know how to train her to recognize Xavier's lows. It would give her something to do.

5. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

There are a number of dogs training places that teach dogs how to detect lows. I can't recall the name - but with a bit of searching on the web -you'll find em.

6. sparkyjt

sparkyjt Approved members

My husband and daughter are currently at training for her service dog. She received her dog on Sunday and he has already alerted to her blood sugar being out of range! It is amazing! The organization we used is Heaven Scent Paws.