- advertisement -

Diabetic Alert Dogs!? Can smell low bgs?...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by ilovethumper, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ilovethumper

ilovethumper Approved members

Hello All,
    I have just recently come across an article on the internet that I found very interesting about several organizations that train service dogs to recognize a scent given of by a diabetic when there blood sugar levels drop to a below normal level. I think this is just the cooles idea :) and have gone to every website that I could get google to show me on the topic. I havent been able to locate a way to get one of these dogs though for one of two reasons, either the organization is to far away and only services a specific area or they charge a large fee for the dog that I simply cannot afford to pay, though I would love too. Does anyone have any idea as to what they do to train these dogs? I have been wanting to adopt a dog lately anyway, this sounds like a very neat project. I read that they do it using sweat/breath samples (the scent) from a person with low blood sugar. I am still unsure of how that would work exactly. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on such a thing? Also, what breed of dog would you think most appropriate? I believe it would need to have a good sense of smell, be intelligent, and be able to be taken out in public (much like a seeing eye dog) so it would have to be trainable & obiedient and friendly to strangers and other animals.
    Any replies would be very much appreciated!
    -- Katie

2. micah'sister06

micah'sister06 Approved members

I am working on training Diabetic Decetion Dogs right now actaully. If you private message me I would be more than willing to share some info with you.

3. podemosbailar

podemosbailar Approved members

Diabetes Alert Dogs

I don't train dogs, but I did train mine. Look at my website for a few tips, but if you don't have experience training dogs or a lot of time each day to dedicate to training (training time may take about 2 years), you may want to contact a school and see what you can work out.

I know some of the training schools help you with fundraisers and stuff.

Having a pet is a big responsibility, and having a service dog is even a bigger responsibility (though it can be well worth it), training your own dog is a huge responsibility- so if you can't do it now, you may want to look into it in the future.

Hope it works out great!

4. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Do you have to train a puppy? We have two (very smart) Australian Shepherds.

5. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

check it out

I am getting a diabetic aid dog on feb 8th! I am going throu a place called heaven scent paws, www.heavenscentpaws.com . They have been so wonderful and helpful!

i worked together with heaven scent paws to raise the money that it takes in order to train and place one of these dogs. my goal was $6,000. i have raised the money now. We emailed people, wrote 'news letters' and we just did any kinds of fundraisers we could think of! At first we thought that we could NEVER RAISE THAT MUCh. we thought it was hopelsess and we were very upset. but, once we started letting people know..... the money roled in!

my website is: www.gr8ful1.org

you should check this out! it is so amazing!

oh- and acctually the dogs alert for lows AND highs!!!

i would be glad to answer any questions if you have any!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  6. J'sMa

J'sMa Approved members

Animals sensing low b.s.

I always suspected there was some kind of scent or something...had a cat who used to "torment" me at night, but only when I was low. I lived alone so can say he did save my life, no doubt.
    I do know the first few times he did it ( i went low a lot) I knocked him off the bed, not yet aware I was low. Don't know why he stuck with that ritual.
    I know you can't TRAIN a cat to do this...
    r.i.p. Boo (2000 - 5/2007)