- advertisement -

Diabetes with alcohol

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Tom15, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Tom15

Tom15 Approved members

Hi guys, just wondering what how you guys control your BG when you drink alcohol, and how much you drink and stuff like that? :confused:

2. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Well, honestly...I don't drink:eek:(and it is, uh, illegal to drink under 21 here).

However, I am told that alcohol raises BG, but then it goes crashing down, and causes lows.

No first hand experience though;)

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

The drinking age in the US is 21, dude. Not 18, like the UK.

From what I've heard, it's good to eat a meal before you drink alcohol so you're not drinking on an empty stomach.

Found that out on the net. No personal experience here either.

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Sorry, no drinking for me either.

5. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I don't drink. But I know that it can be VERY dangerous to drink with D. Alcohol raises bg, and then it usually drops...and fast. The problem is that when/or if it drops, the liver does not kick out any glucose, because it is working on filturing out the alcohol. So nothing can help you, not even glucagon. I know someone who's D friend died because he drank to much. Also, when you are drunk, your judgment is probably impared, that could lead to problems just there. Things like overbolusing, or not feeling a low, or any number of things.

But like the others...I have no personal experience. I have learned most of this at D camp. Good luck!:cwds:

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

The legal drinking age here is also 18, so I've been drinking alcohol occasionally for over 18 months. Make sure you eat something carby, test often including during the night, only drink a small amount and stick around with friends who know what to do in an emergency. A CGMS is invaluable when drinking!
    We have sugar-free vodka mixers here that I quite like, I don't have to worry about a sugar spike, only the alcohol so I know to eat something. Pizza is your friend when drinking!
    I know some D's are dead set against drinking, but IMO if you're responsible there is absolutely no reason not to have a drink or two every now and then.

ETA: I would have a long discussion with your Endo/D educator first.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  7. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

The legal drinking age here is 19 but my parents allow me to drink teh occasion glass of wine in our house only. I always eat something REALLY carby before I drink because even a little bit affects me. However I prefer to just leave the alchohl alone completely.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

btw, in the UK the drinking age is not always 18, it's 16 in restaurants with a meal and whatever if you're in your own home with parental supervision. So, I've had something to drink before, but never an excessive amount. On new year, for example, I had like 2 glasses of bucks fizz (only like 2 units of alcohol) and I was low ALL night. Make sure to have lotsa juice / glucose tabs / whatever with you if you're having anything at all to drink.

9. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

I don't drink either, don't plan to(ever), so i know zip about it.........

10. .sarah.

.sarah. Approved members

i don't drink and i don't ever plan to!! however, my doc said that when you drink, your blood sugar goes up and then crashes down quickly....which would be super bad for me becaues i have seizures when my sugar goes down too quick!!

11. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

FYI....I have treated patients who ended up with brain damage from untreatable lows. Never get drunk. One drink per hour is all the body (a NORMAL, non-diabetic body) can metabolize. Keep that in mind.

12. Tom15

Tom15 Approved members

thanks guys this is all good to know!

13. someone

someone Approved members

I don't drink and don't plan to, but since I'm obsessed with knowing these things, there are a few things you have to realize when you drink as a diabetic. When you drink, your liver's number one priority is to eliminate the alcohol from your blood. Yes, alcohol is poison. Therefore, your liver puts a halt to the normal glucose releases until it has taken care of the alcohol. When you are taking basal insulin to compensate for the glucose releases you would normally have, the lack of these releases creates a problem. The solution here is to decrease your basal insulin, but good luck dealing with that while you're wasted.

I'll pass on the drinking not because I'm diabetic, but because I don't see the thrill in poisoning myself. I wouldn't drink draino and I'm not going to drink ethanol. ;)