- advertisement -

Diabetes type 1 and us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arleigh9003, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Im new to the group an thought id share our journey. My son was diagnosed September 8 2012. Worst Labor Day weekend ever!!! One day your at the beach hanging out and everything is fine, the very next your in the ICU because of some unknown virus.. Little did we know !!
    That day has forever changed my families lives. I thank god everyday that I brought him in to er .. Had I not been thinking Monday is a holiday and I'd rather not wait till Tuesday.. That Sunday would have been my 14 month old baby boys last..
    Everyday is a challenge , but we are getting through it together.
    I have a incredibly strong baby boy and he amazes me everyday. I'm so grateful he is here and every day after d day is a gift !!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome! My daughter was diagnosed at 11; I can't imagine dealing with D in a baby, but there are lots of people with little ones on here. If you post in the Parents section, you'll probably get more responses.

And yes, there are still times 2.5 years in that I watch my daughter laughing and enjoying life in awe and know that each day is a gift, that all the pokes and sleepless nights are so worth it to watch her thrive.

3. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Hi, I am glad you found us and your little one is on his way to better health. Those first few weeks are overwhelming. It does get easier with time. Hopefully your Endo will give you the tools to be successful in treating D.

My daughter was 12 at dx. Now she is almost 17, and she is a happy and healthy. She is amazing, and doesn't really let D stop her from living.

Hang in there!:)

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome.

Just wanted to say that even if you did not bring him in that day, he most likely would not have died. He had probably been developing diabetes for quite a while and a day or two would not have made much difference.

5. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

I know what you mean! I remember debating whether or not to bring my 7-month old to ER, or to wait another hour till pediatrician's office opened up. We went to ER, and got our answers much sooner.

Welcome to the forum! We're almost 4 years after dx, and life is good! :) Things DO get easier!

6. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

I hope so but the doctors said he was very likely to go into a coma and have brain swelling so they had to very slowly bring him back.. i brought him in an he was rapidly heading downward..
    Not lucid at all. Completely out of it.. They were sticking him an he wouldn't even flinch .. 3 IV's and lots of blood drawn an he later in that hospital crib motionless and silent for 3 days .. On day five when he finally smiled I let out the hardest cry I have ever cryed.
    His sugar was at 790 and his ketones were through the roof.. It took a very slow drip of insulin over 3 long days to get him down.
    Worst days of my life.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013