- advertisement -

Diabetes supply bag

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nillywafer, Aug 1, 2013.

1. nillywafer

nillywafer New Member

Hello, my son was diagnosed in January. He is 14 and hates carrying a bag with his supplies around. I can definitely relate and see how he would hate this. He says no one else carries one even though he is the only one in his school with Type 1 so I am not sure how he has come to that conclusion. Do other Type 1 kids carry a bag with them or am I making my son do something that is not necessary. His bag consist of his pump pdm, test strips, his CGM, Glucagon, alcohol wipes his poker and then a few different types of things to treat lows (mostly fun size skittles).

He is going on a church retreat this weekend and I am not sure what or if I should send him with extra stuff like peanut butter crackers, juice, etc.

Or am I just being overbearing? Help :(

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Definitely, definitely send him with extra food stuffs. More than anything, you don't want him to be without those. I would also talk to the youth staff about other kids not being allowed to consume his lows stash. It's medicine, not snacks, and you don't want him to not have it when needed. It's much easier on the kids if we as parents are the bad ones that can be blamed.:rolleyes:

My daughter carries her bag with her everywhere. I think some boys wear cargo pants so that they don't have to carry a "man bag" for their stuff. I know my husband's T1 friend in his 60s does.

I would recommend him or youth staff checking him in the middle of the night. Events like that guarantee inconsistent nights for my daughter; excitement drops her basal needs by 20-30%, whereas I know others see highs with excitement. You also don't know how much exercise he might get that might produce delayed hypoglycemia.

Go to www.ourdiabeticlife.com and search for Episode One in September-October of 2012. It would be worth having your son read it about another 14 year old with 13 years under the belt.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

All the t1 kids I know carry a draw sting nylon bag or just put what they need in the front pocket of there backpack at school. If pants are accommodating like cargo then they put it there. There are spi belts you can buy. They have a plastic clip fastener and a nylon zipper pouch boys tend to wear under there tshirt. They are tiny light weight but hold a lot. Does he have a phone? He could tuck the PDM the same way. As for everyday carrying of low supplies our rule you carry what I supply or prove before you go that you have your own cash for several sugar containing snacks unless you are going somewhere you can't buy them.

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son stuffs his pockets. He only takes his pump and meter, and his meter has skittles, an extra battery, and a few syringes in the little pocket.

He often wears his pump in a spibelt.

He keeps extra glucose in his truck, only has enough to treat on his person. He never carries glucagon, it's not like anyone around him knows what to do with it, he'd rather whomever call 911. He hasn't used alcohol wipes since he was in the hospital.

For a retreat though, yes I would send PB crackers, lots of glucose/candy, and he likes those extend bars.

Day trips, normal run around here and there, he just takes his pump and meter. Longer trips he takes a few extra sites, syringes, insulin, candy, and some actual food like granola bars.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Schlepping stuff around with you is just what comes with having D. He's either got to always wear cargo pants and be willing to load up the pockets or find a bag he can live with. String bags or something from the Army Navy store might do but it's pretty much non-negotiable in my book, though obviously easier with a girl...

If this is the first weekend trip away from home you should not only supply him with extra snacks, I hope you'll also provide the staff with juice, tabs, a back up tester and glucagon.

It's a drag to have to always be prepared, but I can honestly say that 10 years in, contingency planning is my best friend.;)

7. nillywafer

nillywafer New Member

Thank You so much for your replies!! I was afraid I was being unreasonable. He wears the OmniPod so he doesn't really need anything for that just his PDM and his Dexcom.

TheLegoRef I will definitely be checking out your bag. The bag he currently uses is a fanny pack style but not really a fanny pack, we found it at Academy earlier this year and is camo with lots of space. I don't think its that he doesn't like the bag, he just doesn't like carrying a bag.

I did send him with several different types of snacks to treat lows, mostly at night when food won't be around. At this retreat he is at this weekend they will have lots of candies and snacks, and they won't be having to much intense activity. He will probably have highs more then anything. And he is still honeymooning but does appear to be coming out of that with periodic spikes for no apparent reason I do worry at nighttime though but he has his Dexcom and it has woke him up in the past so we should be okay there. The staff told me the adult in the cabin with the boys is diabetic but I never got an answer whether he was Type 1 or 2 so I am just hoping for the best. There is also another girl there with Type 1 this weekend, she is a senior and was diagnosed as a toddler. She is also a nanny for a Type 1 child in the summer so I feel pretty comfortable with her being there.

I will see him tonight but probably won't get to talk to him but hopefully will be able to talk to staff as to how things are going.

Thanks again and still welcome all ideas and input.

8. nillywafer

nillywafer New Member

HTML:
    My 14 year old son, going into 9th grade, carries this bag: http://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/..._detail&p=1317 in black. He has never been made fun of or had a negative comment. We also both love the bag. He carries it everywhere, even during school. 
    Just checked out this bag and love it....will definitely be ordering one! Thanks!

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son is 13 and was dx at 7. He will carry a drawstring backpack if he is going on a day trip or doing something physical and then carries more snacks like peanut butter and crackers as well as some syringes. The farther away he goes the more he takes.

He carries his pump in a spi belt. During school we have found a pencil pouch at Walmart that has two sides with separate zippers. He carries meter strips poker and skittles. He has snacks and other supplies in his locker.

We now by he little craft ziplock bags just big enough to hold 10 skittles. Smaller than using fun paks. He does not carry glucagon.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is 14 and does carry everything with her. Pump supplies, glucagon, fast acting sugars, blood sugar meter, ketone meter, and insulin. She keeps it in either her purse or backpack