- advertisement -

Diabetes SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sari, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

So Ross's blood sugars have been running really high for over a week now. We have changed the sites multiple times now, tossed insulin assuming it was bad adjusted the sensitivity as well.
    Uploaded his pump tuesday and had his endo look at it. We adjusted his basal by .05 for the night time hours and changed his I:c ratio in the am morning. On Wednesday his numbers were perfect! Well then Thursday came and we went back to battling highs all day. Highs that just won't come down. I even called the pump company to run whatever tests to make sure the pump is working as it should. It seems to be.
    Anyone else want to hate diabetes with me?

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

questions

How long have you been pumping? Are you a new pumper, or have you been doing this a while?

Is there a chance your child could be getting sick?

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

You may want to switch insulin used or type of sets or location. My first instinct is that he is reacting to the insulin. Ask your endo about these possibilities Try one at a time. Sorry:cwds:ali

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Is he going through a growth spurt? If so you might need to raise his basal by more than .05 - if you total up the number of hours you made that change you might see that it's a relatively small amount extra. Even a .05 increase over 24 hours only amounts to 1.2u total.. so it may be that he simply needs more of a bump.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what we just had to do. The .05 worked for a day and then her numbers just started laughing at us again... Our nurse said when it's a growth spurt .05 doesn't do much. We had to increase to a .10 increase across the board and change her sensitivity level.

6. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Is it a full moon? I'm going through the EXACT same thing! I want to pull my hair out. I just try to remember that it will get better and then...I can rest a little until we get to do this again :rolleyes:

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'll hate it with you. Different issue....my older (nonD) son was up all night throwing up...poor thing.:( I hate that, while I am caring for him and obviously feeling bad for him....I always hear that continuous voice in my head saying "please don't let Daniel (my son with D) get it, please don't let Daniel get it." I hate that, even when I am caring for another of my kids, my thoughts always drift to D.:mad: Of course, I don't let them know that...but I feel angry on their behalf that I am not "all" there for them...and always have one eye on D.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Is he sneaking treats? Some do, even though they know they don't have to! It's a kid thing!(and sometimes an adult thing):D

9. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We are going through same thing ... just had to up everything accross the board ... and so frustrating ... perfect numbers right after change and then next day 200s ... arrrgh!!

10. Sari

Sari Approved members

haha! We hate the full moon too!! Nope though, no full moon until Jan 27th. So beware!

11. Sari

Sari Approved members

been pumping for 6 1/2 years. Ross actually is on day 7 of Amoxicillan for strep. Have been wondering if the antibiotic has been a factor. Been putting in 7 carbs (2 teaspoons). Seemed to help the 1 day and then back to highs again.

thank you for your input! :)

12. Sari

Sari Approved members

good luck to you. Stomach stuff is the worst. Last tuesday Ross started throwing up. Took him to the pediatrician - turns out he had strep. Vomitting is a symptom. I hope both of your boys stay well!!

13. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We don't pump so i have no advice but i will certainly hate diabetes with you!
    My daughter actually ran high all day yesterday as well for no reason that i could discern...

14. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Diabetes+puberty=h311 enough said.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh....this makes a difference! Antibiotics usually impact my son's BGs...the first couple of times we saw lots of highs...then, when I finally prepared myself to see highs, he went low.:rolleyes: There is a good chance this is your culprit.