- advertisement -

Diabetes presentation upcoming - what info to share?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Apr 5, 2014.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

My 12-y/o son and I are giving a "Growing up with diabetes" presentation at the library soon. Wanted your input/ideas of what to share to educate the public. Chiefly, the difference between type 1 & 2 and what it's like when a 3-year old is diagnosed, but as fellow D-parents, please share any input/info/research you have so we can give an interesting hour-long educational presentation. Thanks!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

That an insulin pump does not REGULATE blood sugar, it is s insulin delivery device that helps do the math.

Every Diabetes family will look different and do things differently.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

There are so many things you could do, you might find it hard to keep it inside an hour. :)

Some of my ideas:
    Share your story of dx, d journey
    Point out famous people/athletes/Olympians/local people they would know who have diabetes (more common than they might think)
    Diabetes and technology
    Be sure to leave time for questions (it might even be cool to start out by taking questions, sometimes that helps break the ice in a crowd, and you are addressing what the audience wants to know)
    "A day in the life" of a t1

Don't be too technical when describing what diabetes care is like. Find what you think is useful for the general public but leave out the more technical stuff, but you can still be specific. As in, they don't care about I:c ratios or bolus/basal stuff. Demystify in simple terms.

Perhaps some guidance about how to talk with/ask questions of someone who has d.

Bring stuff to look at, maybe even a handout with resources for those who might want to learn more
    Let someone volunteer to have their blood tested

Those are my ideas. Hopefully it at least gets your creative juices flowing.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Symptoms that led to diagnosis. Most of my friends were amazed when my daughter was diagnosed and wanted to know what the symptoms were.